Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Some more....

Reading up on the modular motor I found that they designed the block to mount as many accessories as possible to the block and not to a mounted bracket. This would facilitate its use in front wheel drive vehicles. The block was in fact designed from the get go as a front wheel drive engine. And yes it’s in its DNA as previously stated and why some call it the front wheel drive modular V8. So it was designed as a FWD motor and executed as a FWD V8 motor.

It becomes a problem when you start to look at increasing displacement.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'm certainly glad for the length of the engine because weight distribution.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well I'm certainly glad for the length of the engine because weight distribution.
The FWD stuff is again a thing of the past and
the motor has a history to it now. It should not have any impact on ones appreciation within its limitations. Big block it is not. The 7.3 can be bored out to 500 cubic inches if you want for example. There is a difference.

As a side note: 8.2 fender badges!!!!!

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ever check the deck height? That motor is very tall.
Yes, of course. Deck height is why it's 1.6" wider. It's also 1.6" taller, however, this didn't appear to be a problem when fitting a supercharged version under the hood of a Mustang. And again, we were told repeatedly that 2.5" is "nothing" when talking engine sizes, so why is 1.6" such a big deal to you guys now when 2.5" wasn't just a few pages ago?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yes, of course. Deck height is why it's 1.6" wider. It's also 1.6" taller, however, this didn't appear to be a problem when fitting a supercharged version under the hood of a Mustang. And again, we were told repeatedly that 2.5" is "nothing" when talking engine sizes.

I’ll give this one to you. Some make a big deal about it (handling) but unless you are in a lowered Corvette who cares.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...they designed the block to mount as many accessories as possible to the block and not to a mounted bracket. This would facilitate its use in front wheel drive vehicles. The block was in fact designed from the get go as a front wheel drive engine. And yes it’s in its DNA as previously stated and why some call it the front wheel drive modular V8. So it was designed as a FWD motor and executed as a FWD V8 motor...
You know the FWD block was not interchangeable with the RWD block, right? That kinda messes up your logic about cast-in brackets being a FWD feature.

Please post your sources. I'd like to read for myself to see if there is any mis-representation.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...It becomes a problem when you start to look at increasing displacement.
Again, the modular v8 was produced as a 5.8. If displacement were such a problem, how come ford doesn't make more 5.8 mod v8's?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You know the FWD block was not interchangeable with the RWD block, right? That kinda messes up your logic about cast-in brackets being a FWD feature.

Please post your sources. I'd like to read for myself to see if there is any mis-representation.

You do that as this theead is increasing knowledge and that is all good for everyone.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

My 3.7 is the same way as it is also FWD. No biggy now but big stuff back then.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Again, the modular v8 was produced as a 5.8. If displacement were such a problem, how come ford doesn't make more 5.8 mod v8's?

I need more than that. My last motor was 5.7. I need more! 7.3. - 8.2.

8.2 fender badges! Hell Yah!!!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford doesn't want to make a 5.8 if they can avoid it.

However, if Ford put an NA 5.8 DOHC TiVCT engine into the Mustang - many people would buy that car. Assuming the chassis was good and the engine made significantly more power than the current NA 5.0 and 5.2 engines, I would be ready to buy immediately.

Assuming the PTWA process isn't part of the durability issues some 5.0s have, Ford could probably take the 5.8 platform and make it into a 6.0 or larger getting rid of the cylinder sleeves similar to what was done with the 5.0/5.2 change.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I need more than that. My last motor was 5.7. I need more! 7.3. - 8.2.
You once again missed the point. You and your friend complain about the displacement limitations of the mod v8, and how terrible a mistake ford made with the small bore centerlines. My point is that it must not be that big of a deal because Ford has produced a 5.8 liter variant only once and didn't see the need to maximize displacement any other time....

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You want me to find sources for your unverified statements, that were counter to my point? That's not how this works. You prove your own assertions if you want people to believe them.
In informal discussions they are not needed and if it provokes people to research on their own then all the better. But is it not a shock to know they intended front wheel drive? Hell, they wanted the Mustang to be FWD until we shouted them down and they called it the Probe. They wanted it all FWD - Believe it!

Man, I feel crappy telling you guys this. Like telling a kid the truth behind Santa Claus/The Easter Bunny/The Tooth Fairy, etc...
Sponsored

Last edited: