Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

Nate_V8

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I read the first page and was going to comment and then saw 239 pages haha. I'm assuming the OP figured what he wants to do by now. V8 swap or gt500 blower

Advertisement

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Exactly. A union rep who probaby misspoke. Not a word from Ford corporate either confirming or denying.
Lol....that's quite telling actually. What I read from this is...they don't want to be caught in a lie...so their answer is "no comment". Sounds like that union rep misspoke alright...and outed a future mustang engine platform. Good think he's a union rep...else he'd be out of a job lol.

Dominant1

Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ford wont say anything about the 6.8 for the mustang because folks will stop buying 7.3 crate engines for swaps!!!!

80FoxCoupe

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Ford wont say anything about the 6.8 for the mustang because folks will stop buying 7.3 crate engines for swaps!!!!
Folks that want the 7.3 are specifically interested in the CID and iron block. Wolfe has mentioned this platform will land in Ultra Street and will at some point be the go to engine for Ford guys in that class. 440 inch small block limit.

LSchicago

Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Exactly. A union rep who probaby misspoke. Not a word from Ford corporate either confirming or denying.
Ford officially never comments on future products until they are ready.

Erik427

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
No, never. Ford never has said any such thing. They have also said absolutely zero about the 6.8.

This is all social media based rumor and conjecture. I'll believe it when I see a press release from Ford.
I understand what you're saying, but there is talk about the possibility.

This engine was designed with other intentions in mind.

ford20

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Ford Performance is going all-in on the 7.3 and developing a lot of items for it. I can't imagine Ford making a 6.8 for the Mustang which will probably have an aluminum block and be more conducive for performance presumably since it would be going into the Mustang and designed somewhat for performance. Also, it seems like dealers have said that this isn't a thing that will be going into a Mustang which can have some semblance of credibility considering they are given information beforehand during these large dealer meetings & conferences.

Adamone92

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Ford Performance is going all-in on the 7.3 and developing a lot of items for it. I can't imagine Ford making a 6.8 for the Mustang which will probably have an aluminum block and be more conducive for performance presumably since it would be going into the Mustang and designed somewhat for performance. Also, it seems like dealers have said that this isn't a thing that will be going into a Mustang which can have some semblance of credibility considering they are given information beforehand during these large dealer meetings & conferences.

According to alex from lund on YouTube, ford won't be putting a pushrod into the mustang. Sounds more like a dual throttle body coyote engine is what he's heard. Guess we will see

Elp_jc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
According to alex from lund on YouTube, ford won't be putting a pushrod into the mustang.
I agree, especially one with a freaking iron block. It'd handle like absolute crap. Even though it's pushrod, that powertrain would probably weigh at least 100 lbs more than the already heavy Coyote IMO.

millhouse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I agree, especially one with a freaking iron block. It'd handle like absolute crap. Even though it's pushrod, that powertrain would probably weigh at least 100 lbs more than the already heavy Coyote IMO.
It would handle better than a coyote with a blower....same weight but a lower CG. An all aluminum block 7.3L could handle wonderfully....possibly better than a coyote as it too would have a lower CG.

CurtisH

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
It would handle better than a coyote with a blower....same weight but a lower CG. An all aluminum block 7.3L could handle wonderfully....possibly better than a coyote as it too would have a lower CG.
Well, the 7.3 is longer than the Coyote, so you would have more weight in front of the front axle. That will impact handling somewhat.

Advertisement

101 - Anderson Composites - 1

Advertisement