corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The same man that brought us the CobraJet program spearheaded this engine.
Even without knowing a thing about the man, why am I not surprised?

Norm
Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
The 7.3 liter motor is better, for a truck. How many of you want to swap your Coyote V-8 for a powerstroke diesel? There are some out there that would do it, because they can! The 7.3 swap would be interesting, however I don't think we will see a mass migration to it at the drag strip.
It would be interesting in a Fox body or SN95/New Edge. I was at the track in July to visit with an old friend who was racing and there was 0 LS powered S197 and S550s. Handful of Fox bodies and SN95s with LS power plants but 0 S550.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
The bore spacing is 4.53 inches.
This makes it the largest displacement small block Ford has ever offered.
The 7.3 is shorter in length and height.
Also, it's much more narrow than anything mod motor.

Imagine, decent set of shorty headers.
Proper intake......?
445 cid small block.....easy 550 hp without revving it to the moon
Gobs of torque all over the tachometer.

The same man that brought us the CobraJet program spearheaded this engine.

Thank You Brian Wolfe.

I guess this thread is never going to die ..

What exactly is 7.3L Godzilla supposed to be shorter length wise than?

It isn't going to be shorter than the 'Yote with that bore spacing which is the same as the 6.2l and due to it's size and lack of aftermarket support, it never became a hot swap into a Mustang either.

Ford and Roush built a custom 6.2l for drag racing back before it was released and made some godzillaly NA power with it, nearly 900 IIRC.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For Erik's benefit . . .

Here's an easy comparison between the base Coyote and a well-developed OHV engine in its current top trim. Keep in mind that both of these engines meet emissions and fuel economy targets - no one-off aftermarket-based "cheaters" allowed.

The new Corvette takes 6.2 liters to make 495 HP @ 6450 rpm and 470 ft*lbs @ 5150 rpm. It even features some level of variable valve timing. That's only a 1300 rpm spread between peak torque rpm and peak HP rpm.

The BASE Coyote (intentionally not looking at the Bullitt version just to put the Coyote at as much disadvantage for you) makes 460 HP @ 7000 and 420 ft*lbs @ 4600. That's a 2400 rpm spread - almost twice the rpm spread in the new Corvette.

The Corvette should be making well over 550 HP and something like 520 ft*lbs, over at least a 2200 rpm spread if it was the equal of the Coyote on a displacement basis.

There is nothing to suggest that the 7.3 in street-legal production trim would fare any better than the new Corvette motor. Actually, I suspect it wouldn't fare quite as well comparatively, except in the lowest rpm range.

Norm

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Hot Rod Magazine has pinned the article about the 7.3 for three days now.
It's been at the top two days longer than the C8 debut.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hot Rod Magazine has pinned the article about the 7.3 for three days now.
It's been at the top two days longer than the C8 debut.
When you fail at technical discussions, always reach for the magazine popularity.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Go dig up a '69 429. be better. As for me, I'll take my all aluminum dual overhead cam dual vvt 302 making well north of 400 hp and torque. There always gonna be some one in the shadows talking, saying something. Move On, Move on- NOTHING to see here. Nothing.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
If you're referring to the profile of the cam, it's still fixed. You can adjust the cam phase angle with respect to the crankshaft on the fly, but the intake to exhaust phasing is set. The beauty of separate cams for intake and exhaust is the ability to modify things like valve overlap while the engine is operating.

It also makes one wonder why we're still messing with cams anyway when a solenoid can act directly on the valve.
I can answer your last ponderance (can't think of an actual word that fits here...). reliability. given the extremely fast and variable cycling needed (33 times per second at 8k rpms, at as low as 1/130th a second cycle speed, to as long as 1/12th cycle speed) and high temp and thermal cycling, and needing 100% functionality for 16 solenoids, the reliability just isn't there. Considering that a single hiccup on a single solenoid could grenade the entire engine, just don't see it being a feasible option.

Now on a race engine that gets rebuilt/repaired very often, this could do wonders, as you could completely tune the timings, duration, overlap, and even valve height.

Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Been done already.... Next!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Been done already.... Next!

Seems to have the issues I described above. This tech is used in diesels on the injectors, which are a less severe service than what would be needed on a gas car. the diesel injector has less cycles/second, and duration is longer. And they still cost an arm and a leg to replace, and go out relatively often, probably the most replaced part of the engine. And the system to operate it is also another major headache and source of frustration (I have to pull the HPO system apart in my truck this month actually..)

However, when it works, it does wonders for power and efficiency. I cannot imagine trying to double or triple the number of them on an engine and expect them to all last.

One important different between the diesel injectors that use these and using them for valves is the clearance. On a performance engine the valves at full travel occupy a space that is used by the piston at TDC. On the diesels the injectors do not, they occupy a space that is hollowed out in the piston top. So in a diesel injector failure there is no contact issue between the injector and the piston. On a gas car, there would more likely be a contact which blows a hole in the piston, requiring very extensive repairs for a fairly common failure.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I like magazines I have a subscription to Muscle Mustang and fast Fords that runs out early next year. Including the front and back cover it's 84 pages 24 pages are full page adds, 9 pages are 1/2 page adds and three quarter page adds. Not going to renew.
Sponsored