Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
For people who have money to burn.

A certain cylinder head company is considering marketing a upgraded version
of the Ford 255 DOHC head.
This leads to the possibility of bolting them to a stroked 351 stye Windsor.
460cid DOHC Windsor would be very different.

I've seen two done like this with original heads in my lifetime.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

This leads to the possibility of bolting them to a stroked 351 stye Windsor.
460cid DOHC Windsor would be very different.

I've seen two done like this with original heads in my lifetime.

Hey Eric,

It looks like you were right about the 7.3 being deliberately overbuilt. It may take to performance mods better than expected (Popular Mechanics May 1, 2019):

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pop...ucks/amp27310861/ford-73-liter-gas-v8-engine/

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Just read a story online. Are they killing the Coyote 5.0L for the F-150?

They are slowing down Coyote production and transferring employees to work at the new 7.3L plant. They may be going with the 2.7L and 3.5L only for the F-150 (due to slumping V8 sales). The new 7.3L will be for the heavy duty line.

The Coyote may be exclusive to the Mustang only, including the new 4-door version coming.

Any truth to this?

Meanwhile that other article:

“The October shift cut at Ford’s Essex Engine Plant impacts 120 employees, but the only hardship they’ll face is, in some cases, a longer commute to work.

“All employees affected by the shift reduction will have the opportunity to move to Windsor Engine Plant Annex to support 7.3-litre engine production,” said Ford Canada spokesman Matthew Drennan-Scace.

Speaking to CBC, Drennan-Scace said the company expects “two engine assembly and three supporting shifts” at Windsor Engine by the end of the year. That 7.3-liter, a monster of a pushrod gas V8 carrying the moniker “Godzilla,” will serve in Ford’s revamped 2020 Super Duty line. In commercial applications, it replaces the Windsor-built 6.8-liter Triton V10.”

Source:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...emand-prompts-shift-cut-at-ford-engine-plant/

Things are ramping up for the 7.3...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Technically, you said “hugely popular”.

Ok, it’s petty but...

“As for the F-150, V8 popularity took a huge hit following the Blue Oval’s release of its 2.7- and 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6s. By 2017, the Coyote’s take rate was just a quarter of all sales.

The writing was on the wall for an Essex plant shift cut, claims John D’Agnolo, president of Unifor Local 200.

“We’ve had down shifts every week since January, and we have two down weeks in the summer, and two more down weeks scheduled in September,” he told Automotive News. “We could see that sales of the 5.0-liter were dropping.””

Source:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...emand-prompts-shift-cut-at-ford-engine-plant/

I thought Erick427 would be all over this? This sort of validates his claim that the 7.3 was taking over from the Coyote.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Please show me where it says anything about the 7.3 being installed in the f-150.

I was taking production. But now that you put the idea out there....

I think the 7.3 could migrate to the F150. Why not? Oh yes. EPA and CAFE. So watch the swaps happen...

In Canada especially in BC and Ontario, none of that matters.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Those heads might be better matched to engines with strokes in the 3" to 3.3" range . . . unless you're still talking about engines that get torn down and refreshed every mile or two.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, it’s petty but...

“As for the F-150, V8 popularity took a huge hit following the Blue Oval’s release of its 2.7- and 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6s. By 2017, the Coyote’s take rate was just a quarter of all sales.

The writing was on the wall for an Essex plant shift cut, claims John D’Agnolo, president of Unifor Local 200.

“We’ve had down shifts every week since January, and we have two down weeks in the summer, and two more down weeks scheduled in September,” he told Automotive News. “We could see that sales of the 5.0-liter were dropping.””

Source:

I thought Erick427 would be all over this? This sort of validates his claim that the 7.3 was taking over from the Coyote.
It's not in any way. They will keep a V8 in the F150 because the majority of buyers who do take them now (still in the 150,000 range) will only buy a V8. They'll go to Chevy or Dodge. The 7.3 won't go in for CAFE reasons. Read about its weight classes and you'll understand why the fuel consumption + the extra mass would be DOA for F150.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I was taking production. But now that you put the idea out there.....
Actually Erik claimed some time back that ford would put the 7.3 in the f-150, so don’t try to pin that terrible idea on me.

And yes, ford is ramping up production on the new 7.3 for new dump trucks and such, while tweaking 5.0 supply downwards to account for increased eb market share. Nothing is surprising about this and none of it backs up anything you or Erik have been claiming.

...I think the 7.3 could migrate to the F150. Why not? Oh yes. EPA and CAFE...In Canada especially in BC and Ontario, none of that matters.
Completely false and this has been explained to you already. New vehicles sold in Canada have to meet the exact same emissions standards as the US.

If you know something is untrue, why do you post it? Serious question.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Actually Erik claimed some time back that ford would put the 7.3 in the f-150, so don’t try to pin that terrible idea on me.

And yes, ford is ramping up production on the new 7.3 for new dump trucks and such, while tweaking 5.0 supply downwards to account for increased eb market share. Nothing is surprising about this and none of it backs up anything you or Erik have been claiming.

Completely false and this has been explained to you already. New vehicles sold in Canada have to meet the exact same emissions standards as the US.

If you know something is untrue, why do you post it? Serious question.

I can put money on a crate motor being offered up for sale for exactly this reason. Without emissions or inspection a motor like Godzilla made here in Ontario would be very popular.

There is always that.., :like:

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I can put money on a crate motor being offered up for sale for exactly this reason. Without emissions or inspection a motor like Godzilla made here in Ontario would be very popular.

There is always that.., :like:
Oh you mean for engine swaps.....hahahahaha....anyone want to take bets on how many of these wind up in late model f150’s? I bet less than 2 total. And, less than 5 total will wind up in s550’s.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Oh you mean for engine swaps.....hahahahaha....anyone want to take bets on how many of these wind up in late model f150’s? I bet less than 2 total. And, less than 5 total will wind up in s550’s.

The Mustang is a harder sell.

But in an F150? Please!

I see these guys all the time with their modded up trucks. This one’s a no brainer to me.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
....But in an F150? Please!

I see these guys all the time with their modded up trucks. This one’s a no brainer to me.
I suppose it makes sense if you don’t have a brain. You have the very same can-bus system to deal with, so the hardest part of the truck and car swap is the same, except the truck guys have less patience for that kind of thing. And again....as compared to a 7.3 swap, a supercharger kit is a fraction of the cost, a smaller fraction of the effort, multiples more reliable, multiples more powerful, more efficient, far more torque, and on and on. I had one of those too and it would run circles around any big block truck I’ve driven. Mine put 520 ftlb to the wheels (600 ftlb crank) and nearly 650 rwhp (~750 crank).

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I suppose it makes sense if you don’t have a brain. You have the very same can-bus system to deal with, so the hardest part of the truck and car swap is the same, except the truck guys have less patience for that kind of thing. And again....as compared to a 7.3 swap, a supercharger kit is a fraction of the cost, a smaller fraction of the effort, multiples more reliable, multiples more powerful, more efficient, far more torque, and on and on. I had one of those too and it would run circles around any big block truck I’ve driven. Mine put 520 ftlb to the wheels (600 ftlb crank) and nearly 650 rwhp (~750 crank).

You have a larger market with the truck crowd. Locally made engine. Plus a huge tuning and modding aftermarket here in Toronto.

But this whole thing is about having a BIG BLOCK! I’m not interested in horsepower or torque numbers just for the numbers. The rear gear swap is a better alternative than a supercharger. It’s about having the big block and the feel and sound of that big motor. I’m from a time before turbos and technical crap to make a puny motor act big once in a blue moon to put up some nice performance numbers for sales, then the rest of the time your driving some shitty little motor that wears out and breaks easier than a motor that was born to run the big numbers naturally.

That is the mind set I came from...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...But this whole thing is about having a BIG BLOCK! I’m not interested in horsepower or torque numbers just for the numbers....

....That is the mind set I came from...
This is where you are getting confused in your own logic (or perhaps making an attempt to distract from your lack of it). You’re the one that started talking about all the folks who will want to swap 7.3’s into their f-150’s. I told you that there won’t be much interest from that group when such better options exist. Then you switched back to your own personal desires to show why my post didn’t apply to you. I wasn’t talking about you, rather addressing what the f-150 guys want and are willing to do.
Sponsored