Sponsored

Who went from a boosted a6 to a boosted a10?

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
I’ve tried searching this and didn’t find much. I currently have an A6 17 GT (grabber blue). I just returned it mostly to stock to get some warranty work done. It had a gen3 whipple, fore triple pump system, long tubes w/ 3” exhaust, bunch of suspension parts, and all the supporting crap needed to make it work. The only things left on the car are some bushings in the rear, opg’s, and crank sprocket. With the car back to stock and the current deals on new A10 gt’s, it’s very tempting to trade it in on a new car. I would more than likely do another whipple or turbos. My questions are, who went from a boosted A6 to a boosted A10, was it worth it, and would you go back to the A6 if you could? I was at 700 to 800hp depending on fuel and would probably do something similar. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
It is very worth it honestly. I had a turbo 6r80 and our shop car is a Whipple 10R80 and pulls super hard. Very good investment to move to the gen3 imo.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I had a boosted 13 and 14 A6 with the VMP stage 2 kit and honestly my 19 with 3.55s and A10 feels almost as fast as my 13 and 14. I know if I ran the 19 in the 1/4 mile, the times would be slower compared to my s197's, but on the street its comparable. Plan was to boost this one, but Ive been pondering staying NA and running E85 with headers to push the 500 mark.

OP
OP

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
It is very worth it honestly. I had a turbo 6r80 and our shop car is a Whipple 10R80 and pulls super hard. Very good investment to move to the gen3 imo.
I had a boosted 13 and 14 A6 with the VMP stage 2 kit and honestly my 19 with 3.55s and A10 feels almost as fast as my 13 and 14. I know if I ran the 19 in the 1/4 mile, the times would be slower compared to my s197's, but on the street its comparable. Plan was to boost this one, but Ive been pondering staying NA and running E85 with headers to push the 500 mark.
Thanks for the help. I’m going to look at a 19 pp1 a10 tomorrow if the dealers are still open.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I had a Whipple 2015 f150 (a6) and now a Whipple 2018 mustang a10. I understand the comparison isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but I have to say the a10 complements the torque curve of the Whipple 5.0 extremely well. These motors have extremely broad and flat torque curves, which is a blessing and a curse. The curse is that every time it shifts at wot, you lose acceleration due to the loss in mechanical advantage and gain very little engine torque to offset it. The a10 loses much less mechanical advantage during each shift vs the a6.

For instance, 3rd gear in the 6r80 is 1.57. When you shift to 4th (1.14), the rpm drops from 7500 to 5400. Torque at the drive shaft drops from 830 ftlb to 625 ftlb. It loses 25% acceleration on the shift.

With the 10r80, the equivalent would be 5th (1.52), putting about 806 ftlb to the driveshaft. After the shift to 6th (1.27), engine speed drops to 6300. Torque at the driveshaft drops to 710 ftlb. It loses only 12% acceleration on the shift.

With the right gear ratios and shift points, you actually shouldn’t lose anything on the shift but that’s much easier to accomplish with a pushrod 2v engine where the torque falls off drastically after the peak, but that’s a different conversation.

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Thanks for the help. I’m going to look at a 19 pp1 a10 tomorrow if the dealers are still open.
0% for 84 months on all new 19 Mustangs. great time to buy if your employment is secure.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
0% for 84 months on all new 19 Mustangs. great time to buy if your employment is secure.
I finally pulled the trigger on one yesterday....hopefully it's not the '19 A10 pp1 Turbojay wanted to look at today...

OP
OP

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
I had a Whipple 2015 f150 (a6) and now a Whipple 2018 mustang a10. I understand the comparison isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but I have to say the a10 complements the torque curve of the Whipple 5.0 extremely well. These motors have extremely broad and flat torque curves, which is a blessing and a curse. The curse is that every time it shifts at wot, you lose acceleration due to the loss in mechanical advantage and gain very little engine torque to offset it. The a10 loses much less mechanical advantage during each shift vs the a6.

For instance, 3rd gear in the 6r80 is 1.57. When you shift to 4th (1.14), the rpm drops from 7500 to 5400. Torque at the drive shaft drops from 830 ftlb to 625 ftlb. It loses 25% acceleration on the shift.

With the 10r80, the equivalent would be 5th (1.52), putting about 806 ftlb to the driveshaft. After the shift to 6th (1.27), engine speed drops to 6300. Torque at the driveshaft drops to 710 ftlb. It loses only 12% acceleration on the shift.

With the right gear ratios and shift points, you actually shouldn’t lose anything on the shift but that’s much easier to accomplish with a pushrod 2v engine where the torque falls off drastically after the peak, but that’s a different conversation.
Thanks for the help. I pick up a 2020 a10 today.

OP
OP

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
I finally pulled the trigger on one yesterday....hopefully it's not the '19 A10 pp1 Turbojay wanted to look at today...
The 2019 a10 pp1 I was interested in was at Hopkins Ford in Elgin IL. Screw that place. The sales people (all 7-8 of them), were the worst a-holes I’ve ever dealt with at a dealership. I truly hope they go out of business. I was the only person there. I told them I didn’t like the condition of the car and that I wasn’t interested in test driving it. As I was leaving the showroom, I heard one of the a-holes say “I hope you fall down the stairs on your way out”. Needless to say that pissed me off. We exchanged a few words and as I was walking out the second time, they all started yelling for me to get out of there. A lot of peacocking was going on. One of them followed me outside. I told him good luck selling cars if that’s how you treat people. Apparently, all he could come up with was for me to get in my gay car and leave. I was unaware that ford salesmen consider 2017 mustang gt’s gay. I asked him his name and he went back inside. Another a-hole came out as I was getting in my car and said that I went there to look for a fight and I got it. I informed him that I just drove an hour and twenty minutes with the intention of buying that car, not get into an argument, but in his mind, he just couldn’t comprehend that. I’ve never seen anything like it. Good thing for them the economy and the auto industry are doing so well they can afford to shit on people that just want to buy their damn car. Sorry for the rant. I went to a dealer 20 minutes away from the shitty one and bought a 2020 lime green a10 GT with the black out package and 3:55 gears. They were very nice to deal with. Thanks everyone for the info and advice. There will be some 15-17 parts going up for sale Including the gen3 whipple. I can’t wait to tear into the new car. Thanks again.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
The 2019 a10 pp1 I was interested in was at Hopkins Ford in Elgin IL. Screw that place. The sales people (all 7-8 of them), were the worst a-holes I’ve ever dealt with at a dealership. I truly hope they go out of business. I was the only person there. I told them I didn’t like the condition of the car and that I wasn’t interested in test driving it. As I was leaving the showroom, I heard one of the a-holes say “I hope you fall down the stairs on your way out”. Needless to say that pissed me off. We exchanged a few words and as I was walking out the second time, they all started yelling for me to get out of there. A lot of peacocking was going on. One of them followed me outside. I told him good luck selling cars if that’s how you treat people. Apparently, all he could come up with was for me to get in my gay car and leave. I was unaware that ford salesmen consider 2017 mustang gt’s gay. I asked him his name and he went back inside. Another a-hole came out as I was getting in my car and said that I went there to look for a fight and I got it. I informed him that I just drove an hour and twenty minutes with the intention of buying that car, not get into an argument, but in his mind, he just couldn’t comprehend that. I’ve never seen anything like it. Good thing for them the economy and the auto industry are doing so well they can afford to shit on people that just want to buy their damn car. Sorry for the rant. I went to a dealer 20 minutes away from the shitty one and bought a 2020 lime green a10 GT with the black out package and 3:55 gears. They were very nice to deal with. Thanks everyone for the info and advice. There will be some 15-17 parts going up for sale Including the gen3 whipple. I can’t wait to tear into the new car. Thanks again.
Congrats on the new Mustang. Yea i don’t understand dealerships like this. Really unprofessional. Back in 2014 I was in Daytona and stopped by a Chevy dealer and wanted to look at the new C7 Corvettes that just came out and never seen one in person. I had a salesman follow me around asking if he could help me. I said no I’m just looking. When I walked out side he started talking shit to me. We had a few words back and forth. As I was driving away he flipped me the bird. I started laughing at him. Why treat customers like this? I just don’t get it. They should find another another line of work because there not very good at selling cars.

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I snagged a lightly used 19 GT PP1 A10 this week! Super excited to be back in the Stang Fam.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
The 2019 a10 pp1 I was interested in was at Hopkins Ford in Elgin IL. I told them I didn’t like the condition of the car....
Yes, that's the one! Hmmmmmm, maybe tomorrow I will see if there's an alternative to that one.
What didn't you like about it's condition? Just dirty?

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
Based on @turbojay 's explanation of his experience at the Elgin dealership, I went a different route and picked up a Kona Blue PP1 with Magneride from a dealer near Cleveland.
I left work before noon yesterday and made it back home at 12:30 am.
Traffic was light since the State of Michigan was shutdown as of midnight. No problems with speeding.... the multitude of LEOs I passed had more pressing business to take care of...

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
Wow thats insane. I can't believe they would ever treat potential customers like that. I had the reverse and had the best dealer experience i've had yet this past weekend. Told them the price I wanted OTD and for my trade, no test drives necessary and was in and out. Sounds like we're twinning now though! Congrats on the new ride.

20200323_155556-jpg.jpg

OP
OP

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
Wow thats insane. I can't believe they would ever treat potential customers like that. I had the reverse and had the best dealer experience i've had yet this past weekend. Told them the price I wanted OTD and for my trade, no test drives necessary and was in and out. Sounds like we're twinning now though! Congrats on the new ride.
Definitely twinning. Here old and new.
898BECDA-8FA8-46B3-B1BB-FA1D7F13A7E6.jpeg
EC774FA4-2F28-4E14-97CB-23DD4775F892.jpeg
Sponsored