Sponsored

Who Tunes your 5.0? And Why?

RebelTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT California Special A6, RIP: 2012 3.7L Turbo 10.7 @130
Interested to hear who everyone is letting tune there 5.0 and why you went with that tuner... post power numbers if you want but im more interested to hear what made up your mind.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Interested to hear who everyone is letting tune there 5.0 and why you went with that tuner... post power numbers if you want but im more interested to hear what made up your mind.
Shaun @ AED. Amazing attention to detail, very responsive service, terrific results. Unfortunately I will have to find another tuner when going sc/turbo as on the 18+ he will only tune straight e or race fuel so likely will go Lund or PBD at that point. You really can't go wrong with any of those 3.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lund because of reputation and ability to tune any setup. Customer service is amazing too. They take good care of people and make the process easy to get updates.

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
I was between Steeda and Lund. I spoke with both and decided on Lund due to reputation (for every one person saying Steeda there was three saying Lund) and I haven't been disappointed. Their response time is extremely quick. Usually if I send a log at night Ill get a revision the following day. Tunes have been on point and the customer service is awesome.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda in Pompano or Valdosta - we make tunes that are powerful, safe & reliable.

We have tuned plenty of cars in our 30+ years in the marketplace, you won't be disappointed ... plus, we are close to home :)

www.steeda.com

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Shaun @ AED. Amazing attention to detail, very responsive service, terrific results. Unfortunately I will have to find another tuner when going sc/turbo as on the 18+ he will only tune straight e or race fuel so likely will go Lund or PBD at that point. You really can't go wrong with any of those 3.
Same here and for the same reasons. I'm extremely happy.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting my 19 dyno tuned for E85 by Shaun at AED this Friday. I've heard nothing but great things about him and his tunes. He's only 45 minutes away from me, so that's also a factor.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Lund because at the time they were the only tuner using the nGauge. Would probably go with PBD now.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Lund. Customer service has been fantastic. Like, I've literally not encountered that level of customer service in almost any other services I deal with day to day. Price is in line with the rest of the tuners too.

One other nice thing about Lund also is that they invest a lot of money into research and development, so they're out there buying the latest and greatest equipment early on (like a 2018 GT or a Gen 5 Whipple) and meticulously testing it in house so they can bring that experience to the customer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Lund is currently writing me a E85 tune. And is maxing out the 93 octane tune for my boosted GT. They’ve tuned my car from mild bolt ones. All the way up to its current 700+whp state. I have been very happy with their customer service. I believe they make very good power without tuning your car to the ragged edge. And they are one of the more experienced coyote tuners out there.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Ford Performance. Reliability, emissions compliance, OE drive ability and covered under warranty for street use / light track use is hard to beat. I doubt any of the tuners go through all 2400+ cells in the PCM maps one by one and modify all of them for the specific hardware changes, then perform full drive ability testing over temp and altitude while using a data pack to gather data in real time cycle by cycle like an OE.

It's a highly integrated package and not many of the pump gas tunes are making a whole lot more power on pump gas than Ford Performance offerings with the stock or GT350 IM's. Octane learn also allows you to run 91, 92, 93 and it will scale timing for the fuel octane, very convenient if you travel out of state or take long road trips as E85 and 93 are not always available. It's an excellent street car tune you an expect to last the life of the car. Reliability trumps all in my experience unless you have cash to burn.

Power Pack 2 is focused more on mid-range punch for street, auto x and short / medium road course (take the 5th gen LT1 power band and shift it up 500 rpm higher, that's Power Pack 2). Power Pack 3 uses the GT350 IM and is focused more on top end for higher speed larger tracks where you can stretch your legs more. Engines with a lot of lower end and mid range torque typically provide better average acceleration on short tracks while top end power engines provide faster lap times on higher speed tracks.

For reference, the OBDII port reports at 200mS to 300mS intervals, the ECU operates at 8mS intervals (cycle by cycle). All after market tuners use OBDII ports for tuning, not data packs. I think if your car is a daily / pump gas car that's NA, no reason to use anything else. For E85, FI, Nitrous you have to go after market and in that case it makes sense to use them and it is my opinion as a Engineer (electrical) who is an auto enthusiast that after market tunes are better left to cars you can afford to destroy and not be up a creek. I have nothing against them, I just don't think they have a place with daily drivers you expect to last 150k~200k miles unless your running E85 or another alternate fuel that is far more resistant to detonation (greater margin of error).

Pump gas quality varies too much to run on the ragged edge all the time. I've seen some testing showing some 93 testing as low as 92 or 91 despite being sold as 93. If your ECU can't pull timing fast enough or is allowing too much knock, your going to cause damage, even if not right away, over time you can cause micro fractures in the pistons due to frequent detonation, damage head gaskets, rod bearings etc. But that's just my experience after seeing a crap tone of tuned Ecoboost 2.3L's pop motors. Even Ford Performance had one or two 2.3L's pop, but those were replaced under warranty unlike the rest who had to shell out 7k for a new 2.3L EB or swap in a used 2.3L EB in their garage they bought 2nd hand from a junk yard / e-bay retailer. Doesn't sound like fun to me!

Last edited:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Same here and for the same reasons. I'm extremely happy.
AED all day for the reasons above. Also they're the only tuner I'm aware of that can/will remove the rev matching / downshifting when in fully auto modes.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Just wanted to re-iterate, i have no issues with after market tuners for more exotic setups like E85, big power FI setups, Nitrous etc. Just don't see a point for pump gas tunes however as the Ford Performance offerings are hard to beat as an over all package.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to re-iterate, i have no issues with after market tuners for more exotic setups like E85, big power FI setups, Nitrous etc. Just don't see a point for pump gas tunes however as the Ford Performance offerings are hard to beat as an over all package.
The PP2 and PP3 are definitely good setups. The biggest downside is upgradability (none). Otherwise they make a compelling case for themselves.
Sponsored