Sponsored

Who makes a good 3” cat back for GT350’s?

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is it a direst bolt on for the 350?
No ill be changing the rear bumper and valance for the 2018+ I like it better and I'll be hooking it up to the 3 inch pipes from my turbo system but all the hangers should be the same just the tips won't work with our valance and the active exhaust motors are different but I'll have mine wide open so it doesn't matter to me
Sponsored

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
The only thing holding me back is whether or not it drones. I spoke to Hooker last week and the tech guy was nice but non-committal. I have made that mistake with some other brands (cough cough Stainless Works cough cough) on other cars and regretted it each time so Borla is my go-to normally now because they do not drone.
I’ve also been looking at this one for some time and can’t find a single person who has it. I agree it sounds great in the videos and the price is nice. But like you, the drone question is basically what is holding me back.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I ended up putting the Borla Atack 2.75" catback on my 350R. Easy install, sounds great, zero drone. Not really much louder if at all than OE. I have noticed that it did take a little bit of the sharp edge off the sound when I have the windows down next to a freeway divider or wall, which is a good thing to my ears.

MO1182

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I ended up putting the Borla Atack 2.75" catback on my 350R. Easy install, sounds great, zero drone. Not really much louder if at all than OE. I have noticed that it did take a little bit of the sharp edge off the sound when I have the windows down next to a freeway divider or wall, which is a good thing to my ears.
sharp meaning like the rasp? I Added LTs and HFCs but kept the stock mufflers. I like the sound but at times a hint too raspy at mid RPMs. Debating if any catback will make it alil less rasp and more depth.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
sharp meaning like the rasp? I Added LTs and HFCs but kept the stock mufflers. I like the sound but at times a hint too raspy at mid RPMs. Debating if any catback will make it alil less rasp and more depth.
Rasp is largely caused by high compression paired with lean(er) AFR. The old school rods sounded much deeper and throatier because they were running less compression and fatter tunes.

Have you ever noticed that certain cars sound BETTER right after a fill up? Cause the tune is a little fatter (for various reasons from a couple extra PSI to fuel level change and a little bit of relearn in some cases).

The key to reducing rasp is internal baffling and design/materials that focus on reducing high pitch frequencies and that pop/punch that comes from combustion bursts that are right on the edge of max efficiency.

In fact, if you listen closely, you can sometimes tell the cars that are right on the ragged edge of the tune, they just sound ready to pop. Fat and inefficient tunes sound like a wet/muffled fart.

One would hope that mechanical engineers are using acoustical engineers to test and develop exhausts that fit what most people desire (that deep, throaty sound) but sometimes it seems like they just don't GAF and stick to internal designs that were developed decades ago or for some other setup.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I'm not sure if the sound I would describe is a rasp (I think of uncorked X pipe Coyotes having a ton of rasp) but at say 4-5k rpm in 3rd gear next to a wall windows down, the noise can be really sharp. I went through a series of mid pipes on my R to mitigate it - H pipe, H pipe with 10" round Borla resonators, finally a custom X pipe with 7" round resonators. I would say the Borla catback has done the best job of doing that. If I were you, I would maybe consider welding in some resonators aft of the factory X and seeing if that helps.
Sponsored