Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
NJ Underglow

Cliff Notes:

If you live in the state of New Jersey or plan on travelling there in your car, be sure to adhere to these rules when installing your under glow lights:

All lights that are displayed on the front and front sides of the car must be white or amber

Lights that are visible from the back can only be red

Your license plate lights are only allowed to be white

No cars, other than your indicators may flash or move

Just like many other states, the use of blue lights on your car are strictly prohibited as itā€™s reserved for emergency vehicles.

Be sure to check with your supplier for legal mode lights which comply with these restrictions.

One comment
  • 6176b35ac5ab414f3f2c99605f10f1b1?s=32&d=mm&r=g.jpg
    Steve says:
    November 12, 2019 at 6:36 am
    Read it carefully. It says directed towards the front/back, not down at the ground. Devils in the details. I use blue all the time for underglow on my scooter. Because the lights are affixed in a way that they face down and the light can only be seen from the ground itā€™s not illegal. Now if you put blue lights facing forwards or backwards thatā€™s the problems but as long as the lights arenā€™t facing front and back and only to the ground thatā€™s the grey area.
Now of course, might want to print it out, but as for me, drive all the time with my Rock lights for almost a month and knock on wood, haven't gotten in trouble for them, even driving by a few cops with them clearly on.

The more you know...
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
NJ Underglow

Cliff Notes:

If you live in the state of New Jersey or plan on travelling there in your car, be sure to adhere to these rules when installing your under glow lights:

All lights that are displayed on the front and front sides of the car must be white or amber

Your license plate lights are only allowed to be white

No cars, other than your indicators may flash or move

Just like many other states, the use of blue lights on your car are strictly prohibited as itā€™s reserved for emergency vehicles.

Be sure to check with your supplier for legal mode lights which comply with these restrictions.

One comment
  • 6176b35ac5ab414f3f2c99605f10f1b1?s=32&d=mm&r=g.jpg
    Steve says:
    Read it carefully. It says directed towards the front/back, not down at the ground. Devils in the details. I use blue all the time for underglow on my scooter. Because the lights are affixed in a way that they face down and the light can only be seen from the ground itā€™s not illegal. Now if you put blue lights facing forwards or backwards thatā€™s the problems but as long as the lights arenā€™t facing front and back and only to the ground thatā€™s the grey area.
Now of course, might want to print it out, but as for me, drive all the time with my Rock lights for almost a month and knock on wood, haven't gotten in trouble for them, even driving by a few cops with them clearly on.

The more you know...
More friggin' joisey controls!!

CVCashmere

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Jersey will use any excuse to get in your pocket!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
Jersey will use any excuse to get in your pocket!
They will, this is the Garbage State next to the Rotten Apple, but I also printed the law out and laminated it to counter or at least blunt their bullshit if need be

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I don't have any of those lights, so hopefully they'll leave me alone when going to Cape May a few times a year. Unless they come up with some other nonsense

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I don't have any of those lights, so hopefully they'll leave me alone when going to Cape May a few times a year. Unless they come up with some other nonsense

WhiteyDog

I will tell the State Police to ignore any Mustangs with PA plates...best I can do for ya visiting our fine state.

CVCashmere

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Its funny how they cite the statute and still get stuff wrong.
"...shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color."

"Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear"

Steve says:
"All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color. "

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This provision of the NJ State Statues has been in place for yearsā€¦. Red/blues and any exterior top, interior dash mounted, exterior front or rear flashing lights are not allowed anywhere on a Civi vehcile unless the owner is a volunteer EMT or Firefighter and has the proper authorization to run such lights. Ambers are mostly used on any State/Town/County Public Works and tow vehicles.

Hell back in the mid 80ā€™s-90ā€™s when under car neon lights were the shit, no one bugged anyone about the lights UNLESS you were doing something stupid to begin with to invite the ā€œpull overā€ā€¦.

So with the advent of LEDs and LED light strips, I guess these are a thing again?? LOL! Welcome to the 80ā€™s-90ā€™s all over!

Is the large ā€œOAKLEYā€ fluorescent windshield stickers making a come back too? šŸ˜†
Sponsored