Sponsored

Who is going to put their R wheels/tires on the shelf?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I plan on doing a lot of DD with the R throughout the year. The thought crossed my mind that I would put the wheels/tires on the shelf for track days and special occasions. Anyone else thinking about this?

I could just use the SC2 tires until they are gone and put some PSS on the wheels...but then I don't have a track set. ;(
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
If I had an R, then the CF wheels would be for limited street use while a second set of high quality aftermarket wheels will be for the track and occasional street use. Good thing I don't have an R so I don't have that problem, albeit a good one, to have. :D

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
If I had an R, then the CF wheels would be for limited street use while a second set of high quality aftermarket wheels will be for the track and occasional street use. Good thing I don't have an R so I don't have that problem, albeit a good one, to have. :D
I think you have that backwards. The carbon wheels should be for the track to realize the performance benefits of them and the cheaper aluminum wheels for the street.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
^ Exactly, I would take the rubber out and mount the carbon wheels to Trofeo R's or maybe even Hoosier A6/R6.

The PSC2 would be mounted on HRE rims for street use :D

high_glove_side

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 AGM 1LE
If I owned one of these cars, the R wheels would come off asap and either be sold, or stored for car re-sale at a later date.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I think you have that backwards. The carbon wheels should be for the track to realize the performance benefits of them and the cheaper aluminum wheels for the street.
I know that. But naaah... the CF wheels would be my version of a Frick Collection. They would be equivalent to gold, frankincense, and myrrh... hence sacred and priceless so no track use. :D

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
and second question.... what tires would you get for your "street" wheels? I've only been able to find race tires in 315 30 19.

chief135smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 w/track pack
I am sorry for all the lucky "R" drivers who have to make this decision. I think, assuming the replacement costs are accurate, you should never put such an exoctic set of rims on a car like this. I mean these are in the price range of Indy Car rims $20k! Who realisiticly should have to deal with that kind of stress on a mustang. Are these rims the only reason this car topped the Z-28? The rims are an immediate show stopper for me when deciding between body types. Good luck!

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I'd Sell the OEM Wheels slap on some forged Wheels and then Use the funds to purchase a FocusRS.

That's just a thought.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I'd Sell the OEM Wheels slap on some forged Wheels and then Use the funds to purchase a FocusRS.

That's just a thought.
That's a good plan... nothing wrong with that. An R and an RS is a really fine pair to have. Heck even a non-R and the RS is a worthy pair. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Ford already said the carbon fiber wheels are more durable than the aluminum wheels so I don't know what everyone is so worried about.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
In terms of flex on the barrel yes.... However, I would expect the reaction to a Pothole edge or scrapping up on a curb will result in a repair that is more expensive than a good set of forged wheels. In fact if the Barrel or the edges Crack as a result...they're now rendered expensive paperweights. For Track Duty...I agree these would provide an advantage.

But, I guess that would be a top concern of all the professional racers here. ????

For the average joes that want an awesome car..... not so much.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You guys need to keep in mind that the suspension is tuned for the substantially reduced unsprung weight of these wheels.

If anything, save these for the track and get a decent aluminum set for the road.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You guys need to keep in mind that the suspension is tuned for the substantially reduced unsprung weight of these wheels.

If anything, save these for the track and get a decent aluminum set for the road.
Im guessing it would barely noticed by anyone but really skilled drivers..and as long as you replace with at sub 25lb wheel..likely even less noticeable.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Im guessing it would barely noticed by anyone but really skilled drivers..and as long as you replace with at sub 25lb wheel..likely even less noticeable.
I'm not sure how true that would be. I am anxious to read some comparison tests between the 350 and the R. I bet there is a fairly large difference between the 2 wheels or else whats the point in offering them? I don't think an unnoticeable difference would be enough to justify the extra cost on an R. Without the wheels there isn't much to justify the price increase over the base 350.
Sponsored