Sponsored

Who is breaking the law over front license plates?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I was a State Trooper for 30 years and the only cars I stopped for missing front plates were the usual ratty looking cars that had high probabilities of being unregistered, uninsured and/or the driver/passengers having warrants. A lot of police are car guys as well and can appreciate the unspoiled looks of a sports or muscle car sans front plate. The only exception was when I stopped a Ferrari 458 Italia. I had never seen one in person and had a nice chat with the owner about cars. Hell, I don't even know where you could attach a plate on a car like that.
Are front plates even useful for an officer? Help with ID? Always weird to me that some states don't bother making them mandatory.
Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I'm lucky, I live in a state that only issues 1 plate and its for the rear of the car. If I lived where I was required two plates the front one would be in the trunk.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Front plate required here... Previous cars never got hassled by the police, but did get a parking ticket for not having one.

My Mustang came from the factory with the front plate holder installed. It was listed on the window sticker.

Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
When I bought my '18 my salesman,(bought my '03 from him too), even told me the front bracket would be in the trunk if I needed it. I live in Ohio, first thing I did was get a bracket that attached to the lower grille. This past July Ohio removed the front license requirement and I removed it.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Front plate required here... Previous cars never got hassled by the police, but did get a parking ticket for not having one.

My Mustang came from the factory with the front plate holder installed. It was listed on the window sticker.
Are you sure the dealership didn't put it on. I've bought several new vehicles that said front license plate on sticker and that always meant the plate holder was shipped with car (I've still got several from new vehicles hanging in my shed). Never heard of factory taking time to look which states require them and putting them on I'd think they could give a s**t less. Plus just because a vehicle is sold to a state requiring it from the factory does not mean person that buys it doesn't register it in a state that doesn't require it. Thats why any reputable dealership won't drill and install plate holder until vehicle is actually sold, and even then if a state requiring it will ask customer if they want it put on.

OP
OP
volcanogod

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
D.C. parking enforcement literally searches to ticket your parked car for no plate. MD police will pull a U-turn and chase you down to give you the the $80 no front plate ticket. Not to mention I don’t need another random reason to be pulled over.....So I’ll be “ghetto”...
FBB78DE3-ED87-43D6-AD41-BFCE8E5D4620.jpeg
Wow that is harsh! My seller begged me to not put in in the windshield. :) If I get ticketed I guess I'll go with the no drill option.

OP
OP
volcanogod

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I was a State Trooper for 30 years and the only cars I stopped for missing front plates were the usual ratty looking cars that had high probabilities of being unregistered, uninsured and/or the driver/passengers having warrants. A lot of police are car guys as well and can appreciate the unspoiled looks of a sports or muscle car sans front plate. The only exception was when I stopped a Ferrari Laferrari. I had never seen one in person and had a nice chat with the owner about cars. Hell, I don't even know where you could attach a plate on a car like that.
I kind of figured most LEO's had the same mind set. Thank you for sharing your experience/perspective!!! TY for your service!

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I ran my 2015 GT for 4 years with no front plate, although required here.

IMG_0525.JPG

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Here in NY front plates are required. But I have no intention of putting on a front plate. My son in law is local police. He told me the county police will not hassle you when they see its a performance car. The State police on the other hand may. But being it's just an equipment violation, and no points, it's worth the price of a ticket if it does happen.
Btw, having a SIL who is local LE in the car with me, is an advantage when I want to see what the car could do on local streets. :rockon:

SPR1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2013 Mustang GT
I’m a bit concerned but after a solid few years now of the contraption in my trunk, no stops, I believe there are some performance car law enforcement folks understanding of the issue. Really if there was an idiot trying to escape I think it would be the rear plate that they would be looking to ID. When I have used the contraption to allow the plate, it seemed very silly indeed. Heck just charge us 25 bucks and issue a freedom to display plate! Ha!

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
front plates required in MO, but not me. two reasons-they ruin the appearance and interfere with air flow to the radiator. have been pulled over once, two lane black top state road-county mounty. was at the speed limit so I knew it was about the plate. Sir, license & registration please...state law blah-blah-blah. The guy gave me two choices, he could write me a ticket or I take a punch in the shoulder. i opted for the punch. it was friendly. we both had wide grins. he said drive safe and the front plate is still in the trunk.

V6_oct2017.JPG

oct12_stang3.jpg

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I’m a bit concerned but after a solid few years now of the contraption in my trunk, no stops, I believe there are some performance car law enforcement folks understanding of the issue. Really if there was an idiot trying to escape I think it would be the rear plate that they would be looking to ID. When I have used the contraption to allow the plate, it seemed very silly indeed. Heck just charge us 25 bucks and issue a freedom to display plate! Ha!
In a word no. If that were true, all states would require it. It's simply a matter of having an additional revenue/citation and/or stop opportunity. States that have left it on the books politic to maintain it as they point to how much additional revenue it brings in (the additional plates and tags alone is probably a decent generator). Then imagine how many citations are written (after another stop reason is executed).

Bottom line is form largely follows function, if it were truly a public safety issue, there wouldn't be so many states that do not require it.

K6590

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
No front plate for me. Ran my Bullitt for over a year with no front plate, when Ohio had the front plate requirement. That was deleted effective July 1, 2020, over the strenuous objection from the highway patrol and a few other local police departments. Crooks would be able to escape detection, our front license plate readers would let murderers get away (they actually cited a case for that, but it wasn't entirely accurate), and there would be chaos in the streets. Hasn't happened so far.
Sponsored