Sponsored

Who here has taken off the front splitter on the 350/350R?

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I know there is a truckload of fasteners to remove. Any tips on getting it off? I know that it snaps into place, so I don't want to break anything trying to remove it. I have the R, which I know is one piece.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Remove all clips and screws and yank forward.
Yes, just make sure you remove all the screws and clips before you yank forward.

Read the installation instructions to account for all the screws and clips.

The splitter doesn't come off easy, you have to pull on it pretty hard. Its nice to have the good feeling that all the screws and clips have been accounted for before applying herculean effort.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There are both PDF instructions posted online and videos to follow. It's slightly finicky but straightforward.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
So my question is, what is the functionality of the front splitter if one is not tracking the car ? Looks ?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
At street speeds, you don't need any downforce at all; you aren't exceeding the mechanical grip of the tires. All functional aero serves two purposes:
1) Increased downforce, which is only really useful for higher-speed cornering, or
2) Reduced drag, which is always useful for fuel economy

All of the aero on the Shelby is geared toward downforce, except for a few things:
1) the grille block-off that shrinks the radiator opening reduces drag
2) the vertical ducts at the very edges of the bumpers create a "curtain" of air around the front tires, which significantly reduces drag (BMW pioneered this on the 1M a decade ago, and if you look closely you'll see similar features built into many cars today)
3) the mostly-flat underbelly reduces drag

Splitter creates downforce on the nose. Wing creates downforce on the rear. The rocker extensions and winglets are also to block air from getting under the car, I believe, so they may reduce lift a tiny bit more.

If you were never going to track the car, you could leave the splitter off, but it will look a little silly and unfinished in my opinion. For $300, you could always just buy a non-R splitter and install that if you want to reduce the risk of scraping and damaging the R splitter. Actually, I have a new-in-box one that I would be happy to part with.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Excellent explanation.I thank you. Believe I will leave it as is.
And ............. Because it is 5:00 somewhere, It is time for a late evening beer run.

wave4.gif

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
At street speeds, you don't need any downforce at all; you aren't exceeding the mechanical grip of the tires. All functional aero serves two purposes:
1) Increased downforce, which is only really useful for higher-speed cornering, or
2) Reduced drag, which is always useful for fuel economy

All of the aero on the Shelby is geared toward downforce, except for a few things:
1) the grille block-off that shrinks the radiator opening reduces drag
2) the vertical ducts at the very edges of the bumpers create a "curtain" of air around the front tires, which significantly reduces drag (BMW pioneered this on the 1M a decade ago, and if you look closely you'll see similar features built into many cars today)
3) the mostly-flat underbelly reduces drag

Splitter creates downforce on the nose. Wing creates downforce on the rear. The rocker extensions and winglets are also to block air from getting under the car, I believe, so they may reduce lift a tiny bit more.

If you were never going to track the car, you could leave the splitter off, but it will look a little silly and unfinished in my opinion. For $300, you could always just buy a non-R splitter and install that if you want to reduce the risk of scraping and damaging the R splitter. Actually, I have a new-in-box one that I would be happy to part with.
Great answer. Add that much of the aero also helps cooling.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I decided to leave well enough alone. Along with ditching the idea of lowering the car using the Ford Performance dedicated springs. The quoted labor from Ford is 7.5 hours ........ GAH! That does not include the cost of an alignment. The car scrapes the nose as is at times. Why drop it another .75 inches. :crazy:
Sponsored