Not open for further replies.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
oh yeah. mandatory flu as soon as its available. im sure they will do the same once our base gets one of the covid vaccines in.
Yeah probably. I still remember when I got that flu shot in front of the commissary in 29 by one of the navy corpsman. He poked my arm three times. Such a painful experience on my arm for days.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yeah probably. I still remember when I got that flu shot in front of the commissary in 29 by one of the navy corpsman. He poked my arm three times. Such a painful experience on my arm for days.
im sure there is a clever navy joke to be used here, but im too tired to come up with one.

for the "peanut butter shot" in basic training, the nurse hit the sciatic nerve of someone and paralyzed them; almost paralyzed another one too. She got fired not long after.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My older son and one grandson got the Covid. My son was in pretty bad shape for several weeks. My grandson had mild symptoms. An older uncle also got it. I am the oldest member of the family now, as he died. I'm 77 with all sorts of risk factors, so I'm a dead man if I get it. Several family members work in the medical profession and have received the first vaccine dose. I hope to get it in a couple months. Here's hoping I last that long.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I wish everyone the best and good health. Just be safe. That's all we can do.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
In '77 I joined the La. Army National Guard and was sent to Ft. Dix, NJ for boot camp. We had to get immunizations which were administered by what I call a shot gun. Got 2 in my left arm and 1 in the right arm. Sore the next day, of course. I remember someone screwed up and had to knock out 25 push ups. I had to bite my lip so I wouldn't laugh and join him.

Sponsored

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
Yeah..I had it in June. I dodged it for months being employed by SF based Cruise, but contracted it while starting a new job in SoCal (classified as essential work site because of defense related activity) in office from someone who was sick but was pressured not to work from home. We all wore proper N95 masks and used high detergent content soap religiously.
It hit me like a mild cold (few days after the other persons symptoms became obvious and positive test result was disclosed), temperature spiked overnight then subsided then spiked again the following night then gone back to normal never climbing again. My only other symptom was complete loss of smell and taste about two days after last fever wave. I never had a single cough or chest tightness in general. Teste and smell recovered in a week, but I kept testing positive then negative then positive randomly for another five weeks!

Not the kind of post I'd make as my into on Mustang board lol~

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was used to my ex husband getting all kinds of shots being military and all. One of the reasons why I got the flu years ago, he pushed me to get it and said "Em you'll be fine" I was sick for days and my arm hurt like a B.

But this vaccine, no thanks.
Please, please do not compare these two vaccines. The vaccine for the common seasonal flu is known to be hit or miss because it has to be made before the strains are known. This is not a secret, it's always been this way. Getting the shot does not prevent you from getting the flu but it can lessen the effects. Also getting any shot can have side effects. Most vaccinations will cause soreness to the injection site. Again, nothing new here.

Now the vaccine for Covid is different. It targeted to a specific gene sequence (if I'm using the right terminology). The vaccine knows what its looking for and thereby should be quite effective.

Forget all the political BS. Forget all the media BS. Just go talk to your doctor. The good ones will discuss both sides of getting the shot. Then, once fully informed, then make your decision. for me, being a senior, its a no brainer. I'm in, unless it is proven to be non effective or harmful.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
in SA? you mean the new strain? thats already in america and europe.
Yes it is most likely everywhere. It’s referred to as the SA variant because most people people don’t recognize 501Y.V2. It is becoming the more dominate variant because it has evolved to be more effective on humans vs other types. It might cause reinfection while being less effective to a vaccine.

its believed we cant really reach herd immunity through natural means. Other covid strains have only shown about a year of immunity, and COVID19 has people being reinfected within a couple of months. we have never achieved herd immunity via natural infection with a novel virus either.
You are saying it’s different this time. The only way we have ever controlled a virus in history is though generational herd immunity coupled with a vaccine. The problem with novel viruses like this is they can very quickly evolve around control measure with a large population of virgin host.

Most likely this virus will sidestep vaccine while evolving to reinfect people that have already had it with less symptoms but spreading it.

Btw it looks like the vaccine don’t stop the spread it just protects a percentage of people from bad symptoms.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yes it is most likely everywhere. It’s referred to as the SA variant because most people people don’t recognize 501Y.V2. It is becoming the more dominate variant because it has evolved to be more effective on humans vs other types. It might cause reinfection while being less effective to a vaccine.

You are saying it’s different this time. The only way we have ever controlled a virus in history is though generational herd immunity coupled with a vaccine. The problem with novel viruses like this is they can very quickly evolve around control measure with a large population of virgin host.

Most likely this virus will sidestep vaccine while evolving to reinfect people that have already had it with less symptoms but spreading it.

Btw it looks like the vaccine don’t stop the spread it just protects a percentage of people from bad symptoms.
some of your words seem like you disagree with what i said; but it seems like we agree. So im not sure how to respond to this. lol

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
some of your words seem like you disagree with what i said; but it seems like we agree. So im not sure how to respond to this. lol
I agree the SA strain is everywhere. I disagree we can control this thing until natural herd immunity is reached.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah, that's not the way vaccines work. At this point it too new and not enough people have been vaccinated. This is going to get worse before it starts to get better.

I agree the SA strain is everywhere. I disagree we can control this thing until natural herd immunity is reached.
For everyone's sake, you had better be wrong. Herd immunity could take years and require many more deaths. For right now the path to success is through the vaccine. There are no other alternatives.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah, that's not the way vaccines work. At this point it too new and not enough people have been vaccinated. This is going to get worse before it starts to get better.
This is not a normal vaccine. It’s the first time in history we have used his type of vaccine.

It’s just a small piece of code that shows the body how to sidestep the most terrible effects of the virus. Most vaccines are inactive virus that trains the body to recognize the entire virus. This one is completely different.

I will get it when it’s actually approved.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'm 100% not taking a vaccine that was developed in 8 months. I'm not even anti vax or anything, but it seems to me you're taking more risk with a vaccine with basically no long term trials than COVID. Now if I was high risk or older I would but as a healthy 20 something I see no point.

Plus the sooner I take it, the sooner I gotta go back to office. And who wants that lmao
The Moderna vaccine was designed in two days back in January.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-designed-coronavirus-vaccine-in-2-days-2020-11

This article is an interesting read about vaccines in general. A bit long, but worth the read.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-design.html

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
gotcha, yeah..i dont see us getting a natural herd immunity. First time that would ever happen in history with a novel virus, and with one that you only reach immunity for a few months according to evidence ive seen.

i agree with @Bikeman315 . vaccine is what we need. plus, they are saying it seems like the SA variant might be resistant to the vaccines anyways.

Last edited:

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Bikeman315,

I wasn't comparing the two vaccines. I was just talking about my flu shot experience.

We can go on and on talking about this, everyone has a choice. I wish you and everyone else good health.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.