Sponsored

Who here has adjusted the parking brake free play?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I want to eliminate the free play my parking brake handle has, which is about an inch. It doesn't trigger the dash light, but if you leave it up, it stays there. If you push it down, it stays there, but sometimes it moves up that inch while driving, and I don't like that. In addition, when I needed to hold the car downhill once, it didn't hold it, and had to pull it up with a lot more force than I wanted to use. Hopefully with an adjustment, it'd hold it easier. Anyway, today put the car on ramps (in the front) to adjust it, according to some pictures I saw a few weeks back, and my parking brake is not like that, unfortunately. There's only a cable coming down the console, with no adjustment provision at all. Then the cable 90deg to the passenger side, then another 90-deg to the rear of the car. Couldn't squeeze my body any more, but didn't see a 'Y', and I was pretty close to the rear wheel. Does anybody have the instructions for our cars? I assume there's a 'Y' somewhere back there, to use the left rear wheel too, but couldn't see anything. Don't want to put the rear on ramps if it's not easy to adjust. Thanks gang.
JC
Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I want to eliminate the free play my parking brake handle has, which is about an inch. It doesn't trigger the dash light, but if you leave it up, it stays there. If you push it down, it stays there, but sometimes it moves up that inch while driving, and I don't like that. In addition, when I needed to hold the car downhill once, it didn't hold it, and had to pull it up with a lot more force than I wanted to use. Hopefully with an adjustment, it'd hold it easier. Anyway, today put the car on ramps (in the front) to adjust it, according to some pictures I saw a few weeks back, and my parking brake is not like that, unfortunately. There's only a cable coming down the console, with no adjustment provision at all. Then the cable 90deg to the passenger side, then another 90-deg to the rear of the car. Couldn't squeeze my body any more, but didn't see a 'Y', and I was pretty close to the rear wheel. Does anybody have the instructions for our cars? I assume there's a 'Y' somewhere back there, to use the left rear wheel too, but couldn't see anything. Don't want to put the rear on ramps if it's not easy to adjust. Thanks gang.
JC
I actually adjusted mine on my 17 mustang gt there is a Y towards the rear of the car.
I am going to adjust mine on my Bullitt because you have to pull it so far up to get it to hold which is ridiculous. It's easy to adjust I believe it's a 10mm nut.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
i had mine tightened by the dealer last week during a routine service
It now only goes 2 notches and holds whereas previously it had long travel and very dubious holding ability

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i had mine tightened by the dealer last week during a routine service
It now only goes 2 notches and holds whereas previously it had long travel and very dubious holding ability
Be cautious at the dealership especially oil changes they seem to screwing it up. Always check your oil before you leave the dealer. One guy I know in Facebook in the Bullitt page. Drove after a oil change and the car was idling poorly. He decided to check the oil and they drained the oil and just add more oil. The dealer had to flatbed the car back to the dealership. Other guys had only 8 quarts put in when 10 was required.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Be cautious at the dealership especially oil changes they seem to screwing it up. Always check your oil before you leave the dealer. One guy I know in Facebook in the Bullitt page. Drove after a oil change and the car was idling poorly. He decided to check the oil and they drained the oil and just add more oil. The dealer had to flatbed the car back to the dealership. Other guys had only 8 quarts put in when 10 was required.
Still?! You would figure that the updated Coyote has been out for almost three years that the dealer oil change guys would know to use 10 quarts.

Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still?! You would figure that the updated Coyote has been out for almost three years that the dealer oil change guys would know to use 10 quarts.
Yep if a computer doesn't tell them what to do they are mostly lost.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
checked with the dealer at your suggestion and apparently they added 9.5 litres of oil
Sponsored