Sponsored

Who has gone back to the factory resonator after installing an H or X pipe?

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
So I finally installed a Ford Performance x-pipe on my 2017 mustang GT. The only other exhaust mod that I have are Corsa Touring axle-backs. The car is LOUD, especially on cold starts!!! Holy shit. I park the car in the garage of my condo and when I fire her up, I'm literally embarrassed!!!

So, who else has gone back to a stock resonator.
Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I have the active exhaust and had a custom H pipe put in, only to have it removed < 24 hours later.

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
I’ve been shopping for one, but not sure if I’ll pull the trigger. I have a full corsa extreme cat-back which is very loud on cold starts too, but I enjoy it on the road. I think I want long tube headers down the line, and there’s no way I’ll run them with this already loud exhaust.

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's definitely loud but I enjoy mine that way (Steeda axle backs and FP X-pipe). I live in a subdivision so I do cold start mine with the garage door down out of respect for my neighbors. Only in the mornings though when I'm leaving for work before 7am.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I bought an H-pipe once, but once I learned that the OEM resonator is a flow-through design (i.e. no real restriction) I sent it back.

Not to mention I had zero interest in any kind of rasp. The stock resonator and my Ford Racing Touring axle back are perfect for me.

Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I had an H-pipe on my car for a week before removing it. Even paired with the stock (non-active) mufflers, there was too much low RPM drone for me to tolerate. I replaced it with a Magnaflow X resonator, which is slightly quieter than stock. Now paired with OEM active mufflers, it sounds perfect with the valves open, I got that "just a bit more" sound I wanted without any of the drone from an X or H pipe. I also kept my OEM resonator just in case.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That heavy thing will NEVER go back on my car. I have active exhaust so I can select what sound I want. I've done the H and X pipe. Currently running the X. Didn't really change the sound much from the H on mine and I get 3 mpg better mileage with the X. Sure didn't think that would happen.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I run the steeda h pipe on mine. I'll admit it is somewhat loud on cold starts, but it mellows out. I didn't like it at 1st because I felt it was not loud enough, but it's grown on me. At least enough to not make me have to buy a +$2k exhaust...for now.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have Roush cat back with an H pipe. It started with just the axel backs and I wanted it a little louder. Added the H pipe and was thinking on the ride home that it was too much, but would give it a week before going back. It's been a couple years and the H pipe is still on there. Cold starts are ridiculous in my garage. I love the sound at idle and cruising but it still is pretty obnoxious when getting on it.

Also, I just don't drive much anymore, it's not a daily and I work from home. I drove the mustang to the gym last Thursday and looked at the mileage since the last oil change in January, just over 1,200 miles in ~10 months.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Went back to stock res from an H when I had my 2016 GT ... not making the same mistake with my 2020.

Just too unrefined - the stock res takes the edge off and you don't get a more "metallic" exhaust sound that I didn't like.

Sponsored

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I have the full borla Atak exhaust with the x-pipe. Talk about loud, cold start or not especially wot. It was to the point i actually tried to quiet it down a bit by putting on the borla resonator. Its still crazy loud, but it is a little more tame when cruising. Let me also mention i bought it with that exhaust already on it.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I ran a FPP X-pipe to my stock active exhaust.

I can totally understand how someone might not like the sound and I found the cold start to be annoying. The cold start is the biggest draw back. Once the car settles down its totally fine to drive around.

But I like louder exhaust systems and would never dream of putting the resonator back in.

OP
OP
sw686blue

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Went back to stock res from an H when I had my 2016 GT ... not making the same mistake with my 2020.

Just too unrefined - the stock res takes the edge off and you don't get a more "metallic" exhaust sound that I didn't like.
Totally agree with this. I find that the sound is just too unrefined. I loved the sound of the resonator and my Corsas. I was hoping to add some volume, but the results are not at all what I expected or wanted.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Totally agree with this. I find that the sound is just too unrefined. I loved the sound of the resonator and my Corsas. I was hoping to add some volume, but the results are not at all what I expected or wanted.
That's exactly what I wanted to do, but the result wasn't what I expected. I'm still intrigued with the idea of replacing the stock res with the GT350 stock res
Sponsored