Sponsored

Who has gone back to the factory resonator after installing an H or X pipe?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I couldn't go back to the stock resonator, but I did go with a resonated X and it sounds much better with 0 rasp.

mqdefault.jpg
I tried that Magnaflow too but it was actually quieter than the stock res so I sold it. It's a great option though for someone with the stock res and too-loud mufflers wanting to quiet things down just a bit more. That Magnaflow really cleans up the metallic rasp.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I tried that Magnaflow too but it was actually quieter than the stock res so I sold it. It's a great option though for someone with the stock res and too-loud mufflers wanting to quiet things down just a bit more. That Magnaflow really cleans up the metallic rasp.
How long did you run it for before selling it? I thought so too at first, then I did more research and found that it should break-in after about 200 miles and get louder. I was dissapointed at first when I got past the 200 mile mark and it was just as quiet as the day I installed it.

After 500 miles is when it broke in for me and it's definitely louder than when I had installed it. At idle and cruise it's definitely quieter than with the hpipe, but at hard acceleration and WOT it's honestly not that much quieter, but definitely deeper and no rasp.

I wonder if yours didn't get to break-in enough before selling it.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah you're probably right on that count - I didn't leave it in long enough. I've noticed an exhaust/component does indeed alter its sound over time as either carbon build up &/or the packing gets heated up and alters its sound properties a bit.

At a certain point it pretty well sounds as it always will then onwards.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
That heavy thing will NEVER go back on my car. I have active exhaust so I can select what sound I want. I've done the H and X pipe. Currently running the X. Didn't really change the sound much from the H on mine and I get 3 mpg better mileage with the X. Sure didn't think that would happen.
I put the roush x pipe on my Mach 1 and I love how the car sounds now. Honestly did not seem to change the tone to me at all, just made it a bit louder which is what I was looking for but is not to loud. Don't plan on changing anything else on the exhaust cause I love how it sounded before the x pipe and now it just sounds better/louder and just right. Always track exhaust mode :rockon:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I will never remove my H-pipe. It sounds wonderful. It pairs wonderfully with active exhaust.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Went back to stock res from an H when I had my 2016 GT ... not making the same mistake with my 2020.

Just too unrefined - the stock res takes the edge off and you don't get a more "metallic" exhaust sound that I didn't like.
Couldn't stand the res delete on stock exhaust. So tinny. Lasted less than a month before replacing everything. Went Corsa Xtreme. Was great when stock but when adding long tubes after the tone got way too trumpety. Added a pair of Vibrants in there which cleaned up the tone. Ultimately cut off the Corsa rear section but kept the double x direct connected to the long tubes. Added AWE Touring rear section. Favorite sounding combo on this build so far. More character in lower rpms, still screams up top, still no drone, but also not trumpety tone.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I put the Steeda H on my 2019 car and took it off the same day....too raspy and sounded like a 4 cylinder John Deere tractor backing down.....NO BUENO!!😣

Factory Resonator sounds more mellow with Active Exhaust........"Sport" setting sounds best to me in both my 2019 car and the new one I just got!!:thumbsup::wink:

OP
OP
sw686blue

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Finally removed the x-pipe and re-installed my resonator. I'm so much happier with my exhaust sound! Live and learn.

Cashley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2
Stainless works redline, H pipe with long tubes sounds amazing, has a muscle car sound instead of raspy yuck from other exhaust.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Totally agree with this. I find that the sound is just too unrefined. I loved the sound of the resonator and my Corsas. I was hoping to add some volume, but the results are not at all what I expected or wanted.
Yep 100%
I found the HPipe sound way too turbulent?. And unrefined.
I was going to do the same and put the stock back on but I decided to give the SwitchFire a go.
it sounds great sounds really smooth. I’m guessing cause the sound is merged and crossed over between the two pipes. But wayyyy better than the hpipe.
No rasp and low mellow smooth sound at low rpm’s.

Sponsored

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
I made a big mistake with my Bullitt.
Started with H pipe and didn’t like it. Then went with the SwitchFire trying to convince myself and others that it sounds amazing.
however just found some old videos of my Bullitt as stock and it sounds amazing.

imo the Bullitt has the best stock sound than any other mustang in stock form.

might put the stock resonator back on ?.
don’t won’t to weld it back on.
Will a couple of exhaust clamps do the trick ?.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Corsa Sport catback here (w/ double-X pipe). No way. You can pry this exhaust system from my cold, dead hands. Best modification I've done on my 2015 GT and I've done a lot. Worth every single penny.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Opinions and preferences for exhaust sound and volume vary by a lot. I meet up with a fairly large group of S550 owners on a regular basis. The active exhaust is fairly popular as is, but many with those have H-pipe resonator deletes. I personally don't find that combination too loud or raspy, especially since you can still control the volume with the different modes, but obviously many here have a different opinion.

The loudest are those with long tube headers, plus a loud cat back like Corsa Extremes or Borla Atak. That would be way too obnoxious for me but some people actually like it.

I wish the Coyote was not so much louder on cold starts. Right now I have the Roush axle back with the stock resonator. I would not mind if it was a little louder when warm, but I don't want the cold starts to get any louder, lol.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
imo the Bullitt has the best stock sound than any other mustang in stock form.
Agree ... was out on the bike yesterday and someone with a Bullit passed us - amazing. Too bad though it doesn't sound as good inside as it does outside.

On my 2016 GT I used to drive around with the back seats down ... may have to try that.

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Agree ... was out on the bike yesterday and someone with a Bullit passed us - amazing. Too bad though it doesn't sound as good inside as it does outside.

On my 2016 GT I used to drive around with the back seats down ... may have to try that.
Does it really make a difference with the seats down ?.
Sponsored