Who has done trans and diff cooler upgrades to 2016 GT350

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
I own a 2016 GT350 with technology package; 5,000 miles. Have not tracked the car yet, and probably won't due to the 2016's not having the diff and trans coolers and the consistent feedback from the GT350 community on the non-cooled cars quickly going into limp mode when being tracked (apparently there is still a class action lawsuit out there on this issue). Cost for diff cooler kit is $2k and cost for trans cooler kit is $700 - not including labor. Guessing the total cost with labor would be somewhere around $4k. Curious if others in my situation have had the diff and trans coolers installed on their 2016s. If others have had this work done, can you share your experiences?

I'm struggling with having the oil and trans coolers installed on my 2016, or, just selling it and getting a 2017 or newer GT350 or GT350R. My current GT350 has been excellent - no issues whatsoever. Had the oil cooler tube assembly recall done back in 2017. I'm always on-top of maintenance / service. And it's a strong GT350 -put down 490rwhp on Mustang Chassis Dyno with only resonator delete, JLT CAI kit and JLT box tune.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I own a 2016 GT350 with technology package; 5,000 miles. Have not tracked the car yet, and probably won't due to the 2016's not having the diff and trans coolers and the consistent feedback from the GT350 community on the non-cooled cars quickly going into limp mode when being tracked (apparently there is still a class action lawsuit out there on this issue). Cost for diff cooler kit is $2k and cost for trans cooler kit is $700 - not including labor. Guessing the total cost with labor would be somewhere around $4k. Curious if others in my situation have had the diff and trans coolers installed on their 2016s. If others have had this work done, can you share your experiences?

I'm struggling with having the oil and trans coolers installed on my 2016, or, just selling it and getting a 2017 or newer GT350 or GT350R. My current GT350 has been excellent - no issues whatsoever. Had the oil cooler tube assembly recall done back in 2017. I'm always on-top of maintenance / service. And it's a strong GT350 -put down 490rwhp on Mustang Chassis Dyno with only resonator delete, JLT CAI kit and JLT box tune.

Thanks for your help.
I see you just joined the forum, (Welcome).
Several of us were just like you in thinking about better cooling options for our 2016 GT350's.
Here's some links to threads of interest.

GT350 tech/base to track pack transmission swap | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

1st Tech pack With Trans Cooler! | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Tech Pack Transmission Cooler Install - Success! | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Aftermarket GT350 Transmission Cooler Install w/ pics & part list (Base & Tech Pack)) | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Myself, I started kind of slowly on the cooling issues with my 'Base' 2016 GT350.
First I discovered that we could enable the Transmission temperature to display on our Factory Dash Display, rather easily by just enabling it with Forscan.
Our 2016 GT350's already contained a Transmission Temp Sensor, that just needed to be enabled.
The Differential on these two models: ('Tech Pack', and 'Base') did not come with a Factory installed Temp Sensor, but one could be installed and activated on the dash display as well, as that is what I did (SEE LINKS BELOW):
Differential Harness on 2016 Tech | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-forscan-tweaks.61884/page-3#post-1442254

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oem-differential-oil-cooler-install.69499/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...lution-discussion.55937/page-175#post-1757692

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1985119&highlight=@kgschrader#post1985119

TRANS:
What you will find is that the OEM Tremec TR3160 will always run somewhat warmer/hotter than the Rear-Axle Temp on these two models.
-So because the computer doesn't know how hot the Diff gets, only the Trans would cause Limp-Mode on these two models-
In 2016, two different Tremec TR3160 transmissions were used:
One was for the 'Track-Pack', and 'R' models. It had provisions within the trans itself for an internal fluid pump, and cooler line ports.
The other was for the 'Tech-Pack, and 'Base' models. It was pretty much externally identical, except it didn't have the pump and cooler line provisions.
I have the Newer 2017->up Transmission (M-7000-M8S), and cooler kit(M-7095-M8S), both of which I installed myself.

DIFFERENTIAL:
Being that the rear-axle didn't run quite as hot as the transmission, I took a different approach to the Rear-Axle cooling, without using a cooler. I'm currently running the FluiX rear cover, and am very happy with it.

Rear Diff Cover | Page 2 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Inside the "Super 8.8" Rear End | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

I have also done a lot of experimenting with various methods to reduce the Rear-Axle temps.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Thanks for your help.
Check the GT350 Basics sticky too. I don’t know if all the links are the same as what John provided but there’s all sorts of info there.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Had a 2016 Tech Pack Car.

It cost me $1600 dollars to add the trans cooler (aftermarket). Thats parts and labor.

Did not bother with rear end cooler. Tracked 4-5 times a year and no issues.

My trans cooler was on a switch next to shifter, only turned it on when needed.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th

Thanks for your help.
Is it your intention to track the car? Why not start by enabling the Trans Temp gauge with Forscan?

Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I would like to track the car a few times a year. I am not familiar with Forscan. I will research that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I did the swaps with the parts that Ford offered. I purchased a track pack transmission and the cooler parts for the diff and transmission. It was great having a reliable, OE solution that I didn't have to worry about. And everything worked great on track.

2 trans.JPG

Prior to adding cooling, I went to the track on a day where it was 50 in the morning and the high was 70. My car hit limp mode really quickly, and I'm not an experienced driver on track. I would highly recommend adding cooling before going to the track, because it was a really frustrating experience wasting my money trying to cool the car down rather than having fun. And I was worried I would hurt the car.

Once the cooling was added, everything was great on track.

I made a thread on here at the time, because the Ford kits don't include everything you will need and the instructions also don't include all the steps.

It wasn't too bad, although I've done a lot of work in the past on cars. It's a lot tighter doing a transmission swap in our cars versus an 80s Fox Mustang or my 70 convertible, though.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Had a 2016 Tech Pack Car.

It cost me $1600 dollars to add the trans cooler (aftermarket). Thats parts and labor.

Did not bother with rear end cooler. Tracked 4-5 times a year and no issues.

My trans cooler was on a switch next to shifter, only turned it on when needed.
Would you mind sharing more details on your trans cooler upgrade? Thanks.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I did the trans cooler, its the OEM one that came in all the cars other than the base and Tech from 15-16. It has a pump as well and a switch installed like others to turn on and off when you want to run it. Have not done the diff yet but am thinking of doing this as well. No issues with tracking the car. The OEM diff cooler is no longer available via Ford Performance as it has been discontinued. Full Tilt Boogie has a setup for our cars. S550 Diff Cooler Kit (fulltiltboogieracing.com)

Personally I would keep your car if it has been good to you and do the upgrades as you never know what you are going to get with a used 2017 and up.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I did the trans cooler, its the OEM one that came in all the cars other than the base and Tech from 15-16. It has a pump as well and a switch installed like others to turn on and off when you want to run it. Have not done the diff yet but am thinking of doing this as well. No issues with tracking the car. The OEM diff cooler is no longer available via Ford Performance as it has been discontinued. Full Tilt Boogie has a setup for our cars. S550 Diff Cooler Kit (fulltiltboogieracing.com)

Personally I would keep your car if it has been good to you and do the upgrades as you never know what you are going to get with a used 2017 and up.
How did you solve this issue - " Requires M-7000-M8S GT350 Transmission with Integral Pump "?

Sponsored

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
How did you solve this issue - " Requires M-7000-M8S GT350 Transmission with Integral Pump "?
You don't need to replace the transmission, you can add the OEM cooler with a external pump, I used a Tilton pump, enable the trans temp in the gauges so you can see your temps.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to replace the transmission, you can add the OEM cooler with a external pump, I used a Tilton pump, enable the trans temp in the gauges so you can see your temps.
I will look into this; thank you

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Searched Ford Performance website and found the 2015-2016 Track / R transmission, M-7000-M8s. Ford Performance is selling these at closeout pricing at $1,999 - which includes the pump (I called and spoke with a tech). The transmission cooler kit (M-7095-M8S) would be an additional $550.

This price does not seem unreasonable.

Ford Performance is sold out of the differential cooler kit, but from others' posts, the differential does not seem to be an issue with overheating. The major issue is the transmission.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Searched Ford Performance website and found the 2015-2016 Track / R transmission, M-7000-M8s. Ford Performance is selling these at closeout pricing at $1,999 - which includes the pump (I called and spoke with a tech). The transmission cooler kit (M-7095-M8S) would be an additional $550.

This price does not seem unreasonable.

Ford Performance is sold out of the differential cooler kit, but from others' posts, the differential does not seem to be an issue with overheating. The major issue is the transmission.
That's why I purchased the track pack transmission as well. Ford definitely is trying to help GT350 owners out by offering it at a really great price. It still sucks to have to pay the money, but they aren't trying to get a bunch of profit off sales of the track pack transmissions.

For the 2015 and 2016 tech pack cars, the diff doesn't have a sensor in it. So unless you add a sensor, you won't know if the diff gets too hot. In my opinion if you are going to track the car you should get a diff cooler. You can get a kit from full tilt boogie if you want to go that direction. Sucks that the FP diff cooler kit isn't available any more.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
That's why I purchased the track pack transmission as well. Ford definitely is trying to help GT350 owners out by offering it at a really great price. It still sucks to have to pay the money, but they aren't trying to get a bunch of profit off sales of the track pack transmissions.

For the 2015 and 2016 tech pack cars, the diff doesn't have a sensor in it. So unless you add a sensor, you won't know if the diff gets too hot. In my opinion if you are going to track the car you should get a diff cooler. You can get a kit from full tilt boogie if you want to go that direction. Sucks that the FP diff cooler kit isn't available any more.
That's the current plan. Have all the items in the cart ready to go. The Full Tilt Boogie diff kit looks good too.

Pending call back from my service rep and technician at local Ford dealer on the labor quote. Guessing $1.5k of labor. This Ford dealer and service department is awesome. One of the top selling Roush dealers in the country and they have a couple solid Mustang Techs, one of which is super experienced and knowledgeable on the Mustangs, Roush, Shelbys, etc.

Getting this work done on my 2016 GT350 is probably better then selling the car and paying another $10k or more to get a 2017 or newer low mileage GT350 or GT350R.
Sponsored