Sponsored

Who has done a DIY oil change on your Bullitt? Need input on how to access oil filter. Thx.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, I'm going to do my first oil change very soon now, with 1,086 miles on the clock at the moment. Just waiting to see if Steeda is going to send the black braces or not, so I don't have to put the car on ramps again a week later.

At any rate, read that there was a 'door' to access the oil filter on our cars. Well, mine does NOT have an access door, at least on the left (driver's side), where the oil filter should be (can't see it though). I removed the front belly pan to install fiberglass screening in front of the condenser/radiator (it was a b*tch), and also to replace the pathetic single horn with the OEM dual one, a few months back. And don't remember seeing any doors when I cleaned it. I thought maybe there was a second belly pan, but there's nothing else. I could see the drain plug, so no issues there. At any rate, I think the oil filter is very close to the end of the belly pan, so hopefully there's no need to remove anything, because no way I'd like to remove that damn thing ever again.

Please let me know what you did to access the oil filter. And how tight it was, since I've read reports of many not only hand tight, but actually super loose, and leaking. That's crazy. I almost destroyed the one on my ex-2018 F-150 3.5EB; it was that tight, and it uses the same filter. By the way, I'll use Rhino ramps for the job. And now I have a filter socket wrench, since I read access was tight there. And my trusty plier-type wrench, but don't know if it'd fit in there. All comments welcome. Thanks gang.
JC
Sponsored

P8K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
JC, I changed my oil about two weeks ago and by that I mean, I was there to watch and oversee the task. I brought the oil, filter, plug and even a new funnel to my regular mechanic and he did the real work. It was really completely uneventful, the access door if memory serves was on the passenger side, dripping oil on the access door is unavoidable. The only thing that was a little surprising was the volume of oil and how quickly it rushes out. I would recommend bringing it to a garage and doing it on a lift, it's just so much easier.
Bullitt Oil Plug.jpg
Bullitt Oil Change.jpg

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi JC... locate the oil plug, go towards the drivers side about 25" and 10" towards the front of the car.
There's a triangular trap door that swings down (it's held with one screw).
Filter is up in there about a foot, at an angle.

I think mine was hand tight.
You may not be able to fit a pliers type in there, but I just used one of those metal band types where the handle flips
from one side to the other.

For the oil collection, I got one of those 15 quart open top oil catch pans from Advance Auto and didn't have any spills, but be careful,
it does come out fast.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Didn't see that video. Perfect! Thank you. Just went under the car, and the flap is there, so all is well :D.

I'll try to fit my large moldable funnel over and into that flap, so I don't have to clean anything inside that area. It should work. And will drain about 4 qts first, close the drain plug, fill a gallon recycling container, then drain the rest. That way I can use my 10-qt drain pan, rather than having to buy a huge one that takes a lot more space to store. Plus the ones I've seen of that size, have a flat area where the oil hits, probably splashing everywhere, and they're a mess to clean. If it works well, will continue doing it that way; we'll see :).

Steeda will supposedly contact me tomorrow, and if they're ready to ship those braces, will wait until they arrive. Otherwise, might do the oil change tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help:rockon:.
Sponsored