Sponsored

Who has car lift in personal garage

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I'm looking to move into new house and while shopping I'm specifically looking for garage that can accommodate car lift.

Can you share garage dimensions maybe pictures of your 2 post lift setup you have in your personal garage?

Any tips/ advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm looking to move into new house and while shopping I'm specifically looking for garage that can accommodate car lift.

Can you share garage dimensions maybe pictures of your 2 post lift setup you have in your personal garage?

Any tips/ advice?

Thanks!
I have 2 car ramps,does that count. LOL.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
Lmao!

I have seen it done, but trying to be informed purchaser. Im shipping houses finding some with 28x26x10ft high ceiling.

Width and depth should be ok but ceiling height may be issue. I'm wondering if i can reinforce the truss then cut it lower and open up the ceiling to give another 2 or 3 feet. Would be soooo nice to pull car in lift it and do whatever needed

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
There are plenty of lifts that will work in 10' ceilings. Check out Eagle Lifts or Best Buy Auto Equipment.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I've thought about looking into the quick jack - or even something similar - but idk, maybe something like that would work out for you if you have a lot of ceiling height concerns? https://www.quickjack.com/

Sponsored

yo ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Any tips/ advice?

Thanks!

My celling is 10"6, garage is 32x36. Lifts that are for the lower ceilings have the hydraulics and cables on the floor, thus you have to drive over a plate. It has not been an issue for me even when pulling a trans or rear, the plate is not in the way of the jacks. Some people like a flat surface, but you will have to spend over 6000.00 for a Mohawk lift, it has overhead adjustable hydraulics. Most lifts are made in China, as is mine. American lifts like Mohawk are mostly used by professionals and are expensive.

My lift was 2500.00 installed, 9000lbs capacity and I have had no issues for the last 6 years. I recommend it if you like working on your car. I don't work on my street car much, but for my race car it is a must. As you can see from photos its tight to the ceiling, but I can walk under without issues, I'm 5"11. One tip I have for you. If your car sits low, shop around for a lift that has low profile arms. In my case with the race car sitting so low in the front I have to roll it up on 2x10's so I can swing the arms under. My street Mustang is not lowered, so the arms swing under with no issues.
lift1.jpg
lift2.jpg

Last edited:

latoracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 6-Speed, Recaro's, 600A
I have been working on my play area for a couple of years. The one item that i had to have was a lift. I bought a Forward lift for the simple fact that I'll never wear it out and it's (was) made in USA. This thing has made my creeper useless and I do not regret the purchase one bit. If you are shopping for a new house, budget enough money to build you a nice little shop with a section of ceiling around 14'. If your funds do not allow for such areas, the Atlas lift posed above is a good alternative to a drive through lift. I also opted for a 10,000# lift so I can service my F-350.

My '17 GT is lowered (this pic was when I was lowering it) and even on the lowest setting on the arms I have to jack the car up a little to get the arms underneath. I could drive up on boards, but both wheels would have to be raised.

I also looked at 4-post lifts, they can also fit in lower celling areas, are easier to get your car on and some are mobile.

IMG_0996.jpeg

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
That is a nice garage, and that two post lift does fit just right for sure.

Also I have to point out the usernames as they made me chuckle. "Yo Ken you have a nice garage, DoodGuy you should check that out!"

Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I built a 40x30 shop with 12' 3" ceiling clearance. Works great with my two post lift, which is the best tool investment I've ever made!
IMG_2029.JPG

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Oh hell yes. Look at that concrete job. My shop floor should be painted ocean color to match the waves. I should not have gotten my old boozed up buddies to do it.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've thought about looking into the quick jack - or even something similar - but idk, maybe something like that would work out for you if you have a lot of ceiling height concerns? https://www.quickjack.com/
I have a Quick Jack, beats the hell out of a floor jack for sure. Great for a small garage where there's no way a 2 post lift is going to fit in. Not perfect but you can do an awful lot with one.
Sponsored