Sponsored

Who had at GT PP1 and went to a GT350? Need advice...

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hey Guys,

I'll be honest, I've never even driven a GT350 but it seems everyone that has driven one raves about it, and I want one bad! I realize the first step is to test drive but I live in Wisconsin so that's a ways off before the roads are clean. Also, I'm just wondering how much luck I'll have getting dealers to let me test drive?

Currently, I have a 2016 GT Premium PP1 with Nav that I bought brand new. It only has 13,000 miles on it and I have the Ford warranty with zero dollar deductible until 8 years or 60k miles. My head tells me to just drive the car out until the warranty is up and make a move then... but I just don't know if I can wait. I've got some small upgrades, cat back exhaust, Steeda beginner stop the hop, Rockford 10" sub, upgraded USB hub for Apple car play, Big Mike's Sto-n-Show, and some other small things. Anyhow, I figure I've got around 20k in equity at this point, so I can probably trade into a GT350 without my payment going up too much. There are quite a few left over 2019 models within 200 miles of me.

While I could afford to track the GT350, I have other hobbies that I prefer to spend that money on (UTV, snowmobile, motorcycles, etc), by the time I buy track insurance, entry fee, and consumables I'm guessing it would be almost a grand a day. So, I don't see me tracking the car more than once. I daily drive my Mustang in the summer, even in the rain. I intended to do the same if I buy a GT350. In fact, I would consider pulling the cup 2 tires when new and selling them off in favor of something that won't get me killed when it's 50 degrees in Wisconsin. I park my car around mid November and don't get it out until after the roads have been rained clean.

Having said all that, I would love to hear your opinions on what you would do? Especially from the guys that had GT PP1s and went to a GT350. Again, please keep in mind I plan to daily the car in the summer. I did do a search but it's pretty hard to narrow it down to relevant threads when search "GT to GT350".

Thanks in advance everyone! I am looking forward to your feedback...

--Tom
Sponsored

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Here's a pic of the car, I do really like the silver without stripes. If I get a 350 though, you can bet it will have the stripes...
IMG_1391.JPG

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Track the 2016 PP.
For what you save in depreciation and insurance, its basically free vs just staring at a GT350 in the garage not moving cause you cant track it.
Man, I agree but there is just something about the mystique or heritage or whatever the right word is to describe the GT350! I only have about 10 payments left and can drive my current GT carefree with warranty for another 3.5 years!

If I pony up (pun intended) and get a GT350 I would drive it every day. I would daily it in the summer. My work commute has only been 2-3 miles since I've had the GT, hence the low miles. I take it on road trips and such but the miles just really haven't racked up. The only time I use my truck in the summer is when I am towing.

I was going to keep the GT and buy a new C8 Corvette in a year or two but I just can't make the jump to the DCT. However, if I bought a GT350 and Chevy comes out with a stick in a few years I'll be bummed because if I get a 350 now that is going to push the Corvette purchase out 5 years!

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Man, I agree but there is just something about the mystique or heritage or whatever the right word is to describe the GT350! I only have about 10 payments left and can drive my current GT carefree with warranty for another 3.5 years!

If I pony up (pun intended) and get a GT350 I would drive it every day. I would daily it in the summer. My work commute has only been 2-3 miles since I've had the GT, hence the low miles. I take it on road trips and such but the miles just really haven't racked up. The only time I use my truck in the summer is when I am towing.

I was going to keep the GT and buy a new C8 Corvette in a year or two but I just can't make the jump to the DCT. However, if I bought a GT350 and Chevy comes out with a stick in a few years I'll be bummed because if I get a 350 now that is going to push the Corvette purchase out 5 years!
Hmmm. Plenty of time to decide.
Thinkn track the 18 till about a year left on powertrain warranty. You will likely find an instructor w a GT350 that can take you along for a 30 minute session. Then youll be able to decide:
A. tracking days are mehhh..
B. You live for track days and understand what the GT350 is all about: trackday weapon
C. Why you want a GT350 instead of a GT
D. If you might want to track a GT with a supercharger or turbo
E. If you want a GT500
F. Just put a Whipple on the GT so you can beat GT350 down on the street, and get in their way on track if you like.

TMason76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Here's a pic of the car, I do really like the silver without stripes. If I get a 350 though, you can bet it will have the stripes...
IMG_1391.JPG
That would be me :~). I just traded in my '18 GT 6SP PP1 for a 17 GT350 and some cash. My last Stang before the GT was an '03 Cobra that had a tune (dynoed 450 at the wheels) and reworked suspension. That car was fast and I thought it handled well. I sold it cuz I was driving it waaaay toooo fast then drove a G37S for a few years. It was a great car but I got that itch again. Driving the GT I was amazed at the handling ( it had the mag shocks) and how well everything worked together but It wasn't long before it started to feel a little too soft to me. I could feel a lean in the suspension and had less confidence in the turns. Hitting it hard from 1st to 2nd I felt the tranny was stressed. I could detect a sound like side loading.
I saw a GT350 for sale with 12k miles near me and went to go drive it. The first time I got on it I was seriously excited then I hit a freeway entrance hard and it was all over, the GT was doomed.
Mine has the Recaros which connect you to the car much better that the GT seats I had. Handling is much more precise. The power curve comes on earlier in the revs and pulls hard. Strong clutch, strong tranny and wicked, evil, addicting exhaust. It does have the piston slap common to the 350's between 2000 and 3000 RPM but it's slight and goes away when the engine oil gets over 175. I actually drive it slower because it feels like/ sounds like your hauling ass all the time. The brakes are better and not as touchy as the PP1. My wife even likes it and she did not like the Cobra or the GT.
The Mustang GT is no slouch but the GT350 is just another level all around.
Hope my story helped. Best of luck to you.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
how much luck I'll have getting dealers to let me test drive?
little to none even if they are used. Scour Carmax.com for Shelbys. they'll let you test drive them. Scout the area ahead of time so you know where some decent roads are near the site. The Camaro SS 1LE has the same transmission so drive some of those first if you want. Otherwise drive a Magneride equipped manual GT and you'll get the other part of the equation. I drove 2 different GT350 and you could tell the difference from the GT but it wasn't earth shattering and IMO definitely not worth an almost 2x price hike for nothing special parts - the Tremec is a $3500 trans retail.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just upgrade the GT to handle and stop like the 350, it would be a lot cheaper in the end. You can get the entire 350 brake kit from ford racing, they also sell the recaros, and you can upgrade the MT-82 to a calimer stage 3 and get a better shifter or just throw a T-56 magnum in. I would do that before I took it in the ass by trading a car you're still paying for.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't exactly fit your question but I owned a 2016 GT350 for 3 1/2 years and put 33,000 miles on it. Now I own a 2017 GT PP1. I owned a 2015 GT and daily drove it for a year before I owned the GT350. The GT350 always felt very special to me and I loved it. I may end up with another someday. My only question was always about the engine and durability over time. I didn't really want to own the car out of warranty.

I think for me I have other priorities and I also wanted a less expensive car so that I have more money for other things. I bought the 2017 GT just recently and it's a base interior with PP1 being the only option. I realize I will have to spend money and time on hardening it for the track. I also miss the GT350 power to weight. But I think the GT PP is a better choice for my budget.

So for me, daily driving plus track use is what I want. On the track is where the GT350 really shines. However, if you are really bored with your GT and can't stand it anymore, a GT350 definitely feels special on public roads driven gently obeying the law. The GT350 will tramline and so it's a little less relaxing on the road. The GT350 has the alcantera steering wheel, which could be either nice or annoying depending on your perspective. I prefer the leather wrapped GT steering wheel for its durability and ease of maintenance. I did love the black leather and alcantera interior of the early GT350s, but the 2019+ gray alcantera is not my favorite. Also, the newer GT350s have the option of shiny bits in the interior. I don't like that, but you might prefer it.

The magneride is another question for me. I had one of my shocks replaced on my GT350 under warranty because it started leaking. The magneride was nice, but I also really like the PP1 suspension. It seems fine to me and it will be a lot less expensive to maintain over time. I haven't been on track yet with the 2017 GT PP, so once I get there I might have more complaints about the regular GT PP. Not sure.

The shifter on the PP1 has shorter throws than the GT350 and in general I prefer the MT-82 for daily driving in a cold climate. But the Tremec box was great on track and it only shifts better as it gets warm when the car is on track.

I liked the active exhaust somewhat on the GT350, but it could be annoying at times too. On track it was great. On the street if you want to step on it EVERYONE in the general area will know that you stepped on it. I like driving my cars a lot, and for a summer daily driver that loud exhaust could be intrusive. The GT PP1 quiet exhaust is nice in that way. If you only drive on rare occasions and want that loud exhaust, it might be better for you. I do like the flexibility of active exhaust; I just didn't love that the GT350 exhaust ALWAYS opens when you step on it. I would prefer quiet mode to stay quiet until you switch it off. If the newer GT active exhaust does this I would prefer that over the GT350 system.

Gearing on the GT PP1 is better for street driving stop and go. The GT350 has a really tall first gear. Not a big deal, but just something to mention. If quick take offs from a stop are your thing, you might prefer the GT PP. Also, 6th gear on the GT350 is too tall unless you are on the interstate 65+ mph, but 5th gear will have the engine winding a bit. 6th always felt like it was a little taller than it should be to me. I think the 2017 GT MT-82 gearing is better.

The tires on the GT350 are WAY WAY better than the Pirelli P Zero. And I prefer the tire sizes on the GT350 by far over the GT PP. The GT350 tires look big and mean, while the GT PP tires are kind of meh to me. And you have the steep gearing in the GT PP, but narrower tires. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyway, if you have the GT PP and you love spinning the tires - you will find it's more difficult in the GT350. But grip is a lot better.

I realize both cars have the Torsen rear diff, but to me somehow the GT350 rear diff seems by far superior, especially when you are trying to accelerate out of a corner. It might be a function of tires and gearing, not sure. Maybe once temperatures warm up and I get more experience in the GT PP I will change my mind about this.

Sorry for the book - I hope it's helpful.

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
First drive a 350
Then make sure you REALLY don't want a 500
Then consider the cost of a blower instead of that (been considering this route for my 15GTPP)

Also considering you're still making payments I don't see how you're in a position to do any of this for a car you drive a few months a year

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
PP1 a10 GT gen3 here. Have a buddy with 17 GT350. Keep asking him to run title for title best 3 out of 4 at track on factory tires. Never going to happen. Zl1 or Hell kitty next for me. Lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
First drive a 350
Then make sure you REALLY don't want a 500

Then consider the cost of a blower instead of that (been considering this route for my 15GTPP)

Also considering you're still making payments I don't see how you're in a position to do any of this for a car you drive a few months a year
To answer your questions....

1. In regards to the GT500, I really only want a manual transmission, otherwise I'd get a new C8.

2. I've thought about putting a Roush supercharger on the car but I don't want to void my warranty just yet. And that still isn't going to give it that "special" car feel.

3. As far as the payment, the loan is 0% so it doesn't make sense to pay it off early. My money is better in the bank. No offense, but it always baffles me when forum members question another's finances. In my case, my current GT is probably worth at least $28k if not more, and I owe less than $8k, so the 'still making payments' is irrelevant. I'm not upside down on the car. I don't have kids, I'm not married, I've been saving for retirement since I graduated college. I work as an IT consultant and I am now almost 47... I can afford a GT350 (or a more expensive car for that matter)! The GT350 is well within my means without sacrificing in any other area of my life. In fact, I don't even know why I'm still going on trying to justify this to a stranger, lol. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
my current GT is probably worth at least $28k
on what planet? My 2019 GTPP (300A, 5000 miles) would be lucky to be worth that much. But no matter. There've been a few decent enough used Shelbys on this board in your general area. And how you spend your money is not our purview.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
on what planet? My 2019 GTPP (300A, 5000 miles) would be lucky to be worth that much. But no matter. There've been a few decent enough used Shelbys on this board in your general area. And how you spend your money is not our purview.

I also have the extended warranty from Ford with zero dollar deductible until 8 years or 60 thousand miles and is transferable, I would think that is worth something as well. Heck, even if I only get $26k in trade I'll save $1500 in tax on trade and I can cash in the warranty.

upload_2020-3-15_1-2-37.png

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I say beautiful car add blower and stripes and be payment free I have the exact same car and love it now that its paid in full!

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I had an '18 GT PP1 with a Whipple on it, and that car was a blast to drive. Unfortunately, it met an untimely death. I was thinking of replacing it with the same thing, but when I was originally looking I was thinking about a GT350 and decided to take the price difference and put it in a GT, which I don't regret doing. When I decided to replace it, I went with the 350, and it is just an all around better car and driving experience. Sure, my '18 had more power, but the 350 is so much nicer, or at least I think so. I'll probably end up adding a Whipple or twin turbos, but for now I'm enjoying it as it is.
Sponsored