Who else ordered a 2019 GT350/GT350R

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I work for a Class One Railroad. We have an "Auto Facility". Hundreds of vehicles of various makes and models off loaded everyday here in DFW. There are dozens of "authorized" truck carriers that come to the Auto Facility 24/7 with work orders to load up vehicles and transport them to the dealerships. These authorized truck carriers range from large company semi trucks to mom and pop haulers. Dealers need to stay their ass at their dealership. Keep their nose powdered so their jaws can pop up and down to sell cars. They can show up at the Auto Facility if they want but they aren't getting in unless they've gone thru the security, liability, background process and been authorized to step foot inside. While those off loaded vehicles are on rail road property then that rail road is responsible for them.
When my Acura Sport Hybrid arrived on the west coast from Japan, it was held up by US Customs for weeks as they did not yet have criteria to classify they new drivetrain. My dealer arranged to have the car intercepted in Alabama and flat bed trucked to the dealer here in Florida. It can be done with proper paperwork, initiative from the dealer and perhaps the Manufacturer rep from Ford. I think the issue is more that Ford does not want to open a box of worms as they have so many unhappy buyers in this situation. I also personally believe Ford just not have the logistical know how or resources to deal with this backlog of stockpiled vehicles.

That said, if I had ORDERED a car and have the VIN, and a premium product I would expect and demand more. Add to that some of you have healthy deposits and may be expecting to pay a markup, is nothing short of bad business and Ford should be in PR crisis management. It is not a minority of Shelby customers impacted by this, Mustangs and Explorers are affected as well. Ford has literally parked themselves into a corner here and sticking their heads in the sand (or some more appropriate location) is not the way to handle it. The specialty vehicles (Shelbys for this audience) should be receiving direct contact from a Ford representative and handheld through delivery.

This is my first Ford product in 30+ years and I am only slightly surprised they have not yet evolved past this archaic delivery model. Again, I feel for those of you waiting. I hope you can compartmentalize this experience from what you will experience with the car itself.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
When my Acura Sport Hybrid arrived on the west coast from Japan, it was held up by US Customs for weeks as they did not yet have criteria to classify they new drivetrain. My dealer arranged to have the car intercepted in Alabama and flat bed trucked to the dealer here in Florida. It can be done with proper paperwork, initiative from the dealer and perhaps the Manufacturer rep from Ford. I think the issue is more that Ford does not want to open a box of worms as they have so many unhappy buyers in this situation. I also personally believe Ford just not have the logistical know how or resources to deal with this backlog of stockpiled vehicles.

That said, if I had ORDERED a car and have the VIN, and a premium product I would expect and demand more. Add to that some of you have healthy deposits and may be expecting to pay a markup, is nothing short of bad business and Ford should be in PR crisis management. It is not a minority of Shelby customers impacted by this, Mustangs and Explorers are affected as well. Ford has literally parked themselves into a corner here and sticking their heads in the sand (or some more appropriate location) is not the way to handle it. The specialty vehicles (Shelbys for this audience) should be receiving direct contact from a Ford representative and handheld through delivery.

This is my first Ford product in 30+ years and I am only slightly surprised they have not yet evolved past this archaic delivery model. Again, I feel for those of you waiting. I hope you can compartmentalize this experience from what you will experience with the car itself.
Based on the above statement are you suggesting that the Majority of Shelby customers are being impacted and if so what evidence do you have to support your position?

Yes there are delays with the delivery of vehicles from the Ford Motor Company but if you are suggesting that they are the only automotive manufacturer in this situation that is certainly not the case.

The automotive manufacturers in NA have been subject to a severe rail car shortage for many years with not only Ford but also GM and Mopar feeling the effects of this chronic issue and this has been a well known for many years now and a little surprised that our are not privy to this ongoing rail car transportation issue.

Getting away from the rail car issue in NA I remember ordering a Honda Type R back in late 2017 and it took 7 months in order for me to take delivery with a major part of that slow process being centered around the ocean transportation logistics problems over in Swindon, England therefore the transportation issues are not limited to just NA but also to many other parts of the world.

Over the past 5 MY's (including the 2019MY) I would suggest that the Flat Rock assembly plant has already assembled ~20,000 GT350/R's and for your to suggest that Ford does not a knowledgeable logistics team or the resources to handle the movement of ten of thousands of various vehicle models each year is very hard to comprehend.

With these type of production numbers I would suggest that overall Ford has done a good job of getting our GT350/R's to us enthusiasts in a timely fashion but at the same time I certainly can understand and appreciate the concerns of those who have had their vehicles delayed for delivery to their respective dealerships.

:sunglasses:

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I agree with your points PP0001. My reference to 'minority' was that the Shelbys are a lower volume product in the overall picture. I did not mean to insinuate that all are affected this way. I also cannot equate a vehicle produced and shipped overseas as a similar logistic situation to one build and shipped within our borders. And my primary reason for criticizing Ford's logistics is that they have left the customer out of the process. Regardless how you may feel about Ford's efforts, I will side with the customer on this. When you can track a $5 package from eBay down to the location and expected delivery date, there should be no reason that an auto manufacturer cannot better inform a customer, (who's expected deliver has already been surpassed) as to the whereabouts and expected delivery of a $60k vehicle. Leaving the customer frustrated and charged with chasing down reasonable answers is part of delivery logistics and I feel, from what I read here, they are failing.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I agree with your points PP0001. My reference to 'minority' was that the Shelbys are a lower volume product in the overall picture. I did not mean to insinuate that all are affected this way. I also cannot equate a vehicle produced and shipped overseas as a similar logistic situation to one build and shipped within our borders. And my primary reason for criticizing Ford's logistics is that they have left the customer out of the process. Regardless how you may feel about Ford's efforts, I will side with the customer on this. When you can track a $5 package from eBay down to the location and expected delivery date, there should be no reason that an auto manufacturer cannot better inform a customer, (who's expected deliver has already been surpassed) as to the whereabouts and expected delivery of a $60k vehicle. Leaving the customer frustrated and charged with chasing down reasonable answers is part of delivery logistics and I feel, from what I read here, they are failing.
I don't disagree that all automotive manufacturers including Ford have room for improvement with respect to transparency when it comes to tracking vehicles for their customers but after having owned and ordered many vehicles from Michigan, Germany and Japan I have not found one manufacturer yet that has any expertise when it comes to tracking our vehicles on a high level.

Some of the challenges that I see is that we are dealing with a combination of automotive manufacturers, independent forms of rail, OTR or ocean transportation providers and then of course finally independent business automotive dealerships all of which do not seem to work closely enough together in order to make tracking a vehicle seamless which it should be.

Keep in mind tracking a package through eBay will typically move with a single provider such as FedEx or UPS and will only move within their own transportation system therefore they never lose control of a shipment whereas once a vehicle is loaded onto a 60' railcar this railcar may be interlined with numerous other railcar providers within North America after which time this railcar will then get switched off at a central rail yard in any one State or Province and then in most cases various OTR automotive carriers will be involved with the final leg delivery to all of the various dealerships with a large radius for that location.

My point is that numerous railway companies and various independent OTR final leg transport companies typically are involved on each move therefore a lot of moving parts and very easy for any automotive manufacturer to lose track of who has any specific vehicle.

No question that all manufacturers and dealerships certainly could use improvement in this area but from a personal standpoint overall I have been quite happy with The Ford Motor Company regarding the many Mustangs that I have ordered and tracked through Ford and/or Ford Performance over many years.

:)

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I received my '19 Velocity Blue GT350 this week here in Idaho. I'm swapping out the Cup 2 tires and Ford wheels for a set of Super Sports on Project 6GR FIVE spoke wheels. I'll keep the original set for track days.

That's my '65 GT350 Tribute build in the background of the last pic.

20190516-123348.jpg

20190516-123229.jpg

20190502-074716.jpg

20190519-224218.jpg

Sponsored

trafficman337

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 Kona Blue W/ Black Stripes and Roof
I received my '19 Velocity Blue GT350 this week here in Idaho. I'm swapping out the Cup 2 tires and Ford wheels for a set of Super Sports on Project 6GR FIVE spoke wheels. I'll keep the original set for track days.

That's my '65 GT350 Tribute build in the background of the last pic.

Beautiful Car! Best of luck with it. I am waiting on mine. Just curious, why the tire change? I am thinking of doing the same thing. I will never track my car, but I am a bit worried about the Cup Tires as it will be a weekend to the beach type car. I know there are temperature limits and the whole bit. Any ideas?

gt350wcs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Love the color and and 198, when did you order yours?
Yes it definitely is worth the wait, I ordered mine in December 2018 and got it May 4. The car is great, does anyone know if the GT350 comes with rev matching?

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Hi trafficman337. Several reasons for getting two sets of tires:

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires sound like awesome performers - though I haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet. Unfortunately, they don't last long on the track or the street and are fairly expensive. The car will be driven a lot, so I wanted some longer-life tires. I have no need for ultra-high-performance tires on the street - I save that behavior for the proper venue.

The car will be AUTO-X'ed in SCCA B-Street class where the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are excluded - not just due to it's UTQG Treadwear Grade of "180" being under the specified limit of "200", but SCCA excludes them from this class specifically by name. The Pilot Super Sports have a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 300, so they are not optimal for AUTO-X, but legal. The tire choice is limited in these GT350 sizes.

When I get my '65 GT350 Tribute done (hopefully later this year), that will become my AUTO-X car. Then I'll be able to put the GT350's Cup 2 tires to the test at driving schools and track days.

As "gt350wcs" said, it is definitely worth the wait. Keep the shiny side up.

Sponsored

trafficman337

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 Kona Blue W/ Black Stripes and Roof
Hi trafficman337. Several reasons for getting two sets of tires:

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires sound like awesome performers - though I haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet. Unfortunately, they don't last long on the track or the street and are fairly expensive. The car will be driven a lot, so I wanted some longer-life tires. I have no need for ultra-high-performance tires on the street - I save that behavior for the proper venue.

The car will be AUTO-X'ed in SCCA B-Street class where the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are excluded - not just due to it's UTQG Treadwear Grade of "180" being under the specified limit of "200", but SCCA excludes them from this class specifically by name. The Pilot Super Sports have a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 300, so they are not optimal for AUTO-X, but legal. The tire choice is limited in these GT350 sizes.

When I get my '65 GT350 Tribute done (hopefully later this year), that will become my AUTO-X car. Then I'll be able to put the GT350's Cup 2 tires to the test at driving schools and track days.

As "gt350wcs" said, it is definitely worth the wait. Keep the shiny side up.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I am awaiting impatiently for mine to arrive. Having that said, mine will be driven about 1500 miles per summer, at best. I will take it for a ride to the beach once in a while and go to a few shows here and there. Nothing extreme. The car will never be dragged, or brought to a track day. I will drive the car and have a good time with it, but I will not be driving it on the aggressive side at all. I am contemplating putting on more of a driver tire on the car in order to enjoy the ride and not worry about temperatures on the road, or getting caught in an occasional rain shower. I am bit conflicted and confused on which way to go with the tires. Thanks!

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks very much for the detailed response. I am awaiting impatiently for mine to arrive. Having that said, mine will be driven about 1500 miles per summer, at best. I will take it for a ride to the beach once in a while and go to a few shows here and there. Nothing extreme. The car will never be dragged, or brought to a track day. I will drive the car and have a good time with it, but I will not be driving it on the aggressive side at all. I am contemplating putting on more of a driver tire on the car in order to enjoy the ride and not worry about temperatures on the road, or getting caught in an occasional rain shower. I am bit conflicted and confused on which way to go with the tires. Thanks!
One thing the devoted track guys seem to do is not use the staggered tire fitment. They use the same tire on the front and rear so that they can rotate the tires and even out the wear. This makes sense for street use as well. I could not find a GT350-stock-size tire that was also an cold/wet-weather tire. However, if you put 305/30R19 tires on the front and rear (which I understand is feasible), then Tire Rack has a Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 All-Season that might fit the bill.

I'll bet there are lots of folks on here that can (and will) give you advice on good cold-weather/rain tires if you are open to changing the tire size a bit and even more if you go to new wheels as well.

Good Luck!

Woody25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Vehicle(s)
2019 350R
Hoping today I will hear some good news. Fingers crossed.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Good Luck!

They say my new ETA is end of June. I've had enough with all the excuses. Just pissed off I missed that white R that someone posted on here because I would have pulled the trigger on that one.