Sponsored

Who else is Manual or Bust?

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Quote: @Rothgray
The DCT may not be better for a driver like yourself. You may just purely want to row your own gears, and to your credit, you should do whatever makes you happy while you're driving, and racing your car. But, you cannot really debate, what is a better engineered solution, a DCT or a Manual transmission. There is literally nothing a manual has over a DCT from this stand point.

The manual transmission offers an engaging car to driver driving experience. Your grandmother could drive a DCT. The main problem with today's cars are they are going to end up having so many gears your going to need a DCT to keep track of them. unfortunately after 6 where do you go? A high and low button on the shifter like the old trucks used to have? Gearing is what is going to kill the manual!
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... I used to be a row your own gears kind of guy. I still am in a sense, depending on the car. It is of my opinion, a car full of technology, should take advantage of the latest and greatest. In this case, it is the DCT, as far as it being much newer tech than a traditional manual. I grew up with Mustangs and Corvettes, and eventually when income started to climb, I was able to buy cars like 911 Turbos, McLarens, Lamborghinis etc..
I've always been one to build up something from a lower level than buy ready-made from a higher one. Guess there's too much backyard hotrodder attitude in me (oriented toward cornering and handling instead of big power and straight lines). I do all of my own parts-spec'ing and all of my own work that doesn't involve precision machining or a big press, so I probably do get more closely involved than the guy who buys mod kits or throws somebody's whole catalog at his car. I'm not flaming anybody who'd follow either of those paths, just explaining that it's not in me to do things that way.

FWIW, my taste in Lamborghinis definitely runs more toward the later Miura SVs (where they finally separated the engine and gearbox sumps) and the Jarama than anything newer (like the Gallardo, which I have driven). My pick from today's Porsche lineup would probably be a 911 GT3 (manual), even though according to Porsche themself it's over half a second slower to 60 than the PDK version.

Norm

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
The reason there is no manual is what Ford said themselves... "Exotic at a Ford price". That's what they're going after...

If anyone doesn't believe that Ford didn't do their market research on this car first, you're crazy. It's all the reason why it's a dct...look at how many auto mustangs, challengers,, Camaro, and corvettes there are. Way more than manual.

However Ford price is expensive as shit now and days compared to what Ford price was in 80s and 90s when I was a kid lol

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The main problem with today's cars are they are going to end up having so many gears your going to need a DCT to keep track of them. unfortunately after 6 where do you go? A high and low button on the shifter like the old trucks used to have? Gearing is what is going to kill the manual!
I suspect we're just about at the limit with 7 in a conventional MT (Corvette) and 10 in the conventional automatics - it'll be 'diminshing returns' that puts the brakes on having to keep adding more gears. I don't see DCTs going beyond 7 or maybe 8, else hardly anybody would ever use them 'manually' after the first few times.

Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
“We spoke with Carl Widmann, head engineer for Ford Performance and the Mustang, just after the GT500 was unveiled in Detroit today. I asked if we could see a three-pedal GT500 in the future.

"Right now, we're DCT-only, [but] we get feedback, and we're real tight with the Mustang crowd," Widmann said. I asked if that meant a manual was on the table. "We always listen to what our customers want, right?" he said with a grin”

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...ord-mustang-shelby-gt500-dct-manual-possible/

^^^ Well, if Carl Widmann is listening, then a manual is a must!

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
“We spoke with Carl Widmann, head engineer for Ford Performance and the Mustang, just after the GT500 was unveiled in Detroit today. I asked if we could see a three-pedal GT500 in the future.

"Right now, we're DCT-only, [but] we get feedback, and we're real tight with the Mustang crowd," Widmann said. I asked if that meant a manual was on the table. "We always listen to what our customers want, right?" he said with a grin”

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...ord-mustang-shelby-gt500-dct-manual-possible/

^^^ Well, if Carl Widmann is listening, then a manual is a must!
I hope they make a manual. I would probably still get the DCT but it would be great if they offered both.

There is still a lot we don't know about the car.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 and the DCT sounds amazing with the best of both worlds. That being said I have driven Stick my entire life starting in 1961. I have had 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, and 6 speeds with a half dozen automatics thrown in. I am ready to embrace the future then again there is just something special by pushing in on the clutch and then feeding the power to the tires. OLD SCHOOL JMO.

Last edited:

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I was certainly in the manual only camp until about 2 years ago. I was eyeing a new Mustang GT after I found out that nephropathy started setting into my feet so I took a new 17 for a test drive, it didn't help that it was in shipping mode so when I pulled out in what should have been a no problem situation I gave it some gas and it just sat there and slowed down and the car that was a very safe distance back was now on my ass honking the horn. The car eventually gained speed but in that scary moment I realized my left foot was saying are you frackin daft?!?! We took the car back and got one that's been prepped and yep, the left foot didn't have the sensitivity for the kind of driving I do at the drag strip, I bucked the car a few times and I knew my manual days were over. Changes to the clutch spring might have helped, thinner shoe soles, who knows but the progression continues so.....

The salesman says we just got an 18 automatic in stock how about that, I had done some reading but not much was out yet. My wifes 6spd auto in her 2007 Mustang GT wasn't bad so I figured what the hell, what could I lose by trying it out. Funny how your perspective changes in a given situation. I got into a new 18 A10 a few hundred miles on it and the salesman was new and said he had to go with, I said sure, I hope you aren't squeamish, we got to the first light, I had trac ctrl off, I put her up 1500 rpms and when the light went green I gave it everything she had, the car kicked out in the back and as soon as it hit 2nd gear I was sold, Ford timed this transmission perfectly, for me anyway.

Long story nobody cares about I know but had I driven a manual just 6 months prior to that test drive I would have bought it and I would then own a car I had difficulty driving at the drag strip only months later. Today If I had the cash I would buy the GT500 in a heart beat, but it really SHOULD have a manual option, heck the brand new 755hp ZR1 has one as an option and they don't sell many but that option is still there so if GM can do it why not Ford? I think they will...later.

My prediction, the top dog Track version will have DCT and the lower version nobody got a look at, will have the manual and maybe you can option up from there. Keep in mind the GT350's are still out there and who knows what Ford is thinking but I think the lower version (not the right term, I know) will get a manual a year later.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Well...... all my cars have been sticks!!! Decided in 2012 to buy a 2012 BMW 6 Series Cuupe (2dr model!!) it only came in a 7 spd auto... it was a rocket!!! After 3yrs, I was done!! Felt like an old man..... so sold tha and ordered my 2015 Mustang...6apd!!! Happy, happy!!!

I’ve owned at least a dozen Muscle cars over the years, restored them......all 4spds!!! One I installed a 5spd!!
619255C4-8680-4567-BAB1-CFAFF4A4B7F6.jpeg
C8910063-8605-4F3A-9CA9-A6FE2A4E1047.jpeg

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
Lets be honest folks. Ford is going to promote the hot new idea on their next gen of models. They were not going to be like here is a 6-Speed, o by the way we are doing a 7 DCT as well. Will there be a Manual Transmission, who knows, but we will probably not know for awhile until the Order Banks is open. We still dont even know if there will be a Convertible version of this car

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Keep the manual on everything sub gt500.
People that can properly drive stick are few and far between.

Look at this mess.... he was having issues controlling 500hp, how much worse would the tq of a 2650 and 700+hp be.

Grey16gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 magnetic Mustang GT premium non performance p
My everyday driver always has to be in automatic because my wife can't drive a stick and if she has a problem with her car we need a second car she can drive mine the my garage Queen is always a standard . love rowing through the gears don't care if it's a little slower always find the standard easier to control more predictable so for me I would definitely not purchase one in an automatic and if they won't make a standard then my garage Queen will be a ZL1.

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Lets be honest folks. Ford is going to promote the hot new idea on their next gen of models. They were not going to be like here is a 6-Speed, o by the way we are doing a 7 DCT as well. Will there be a Manual Transmission, who knows, but we will probably not know for awhile until the Order Banks is open. We still dont even know if there will be a Convertible version of this car
There isn’t going to be a convertible. This car doesn’t even offer a sunroof. Too much body and frame work to be done in order to handle the power.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
If I could afford the 2020 gt500 I definately would have to look for the manual be offered before I was in the market for one. ..there's just something about having complete control of the trans.
Sponsored