Sponsored

Who else has wonky usb issues with android auto and apple car play?

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Every now and then, the USB ports just take a shit and won’t charge the phone or start android auto or apple car play. It like bugs out. The ports aren’t faulty, it seems to just be some sync glitch where it will stop reading from them for like five minutes then magically start again. It’s super random, no rhyme or reason. Ill plug in my iPhone 11 Pro, it won’t even charge. So then I plugged my s21 ultra in and it says make sure the cable is plugged in properly, which it is. So I plug into another port and after a minute it works. I’ll unplug and then plug into the console one again and it’ll work. It’s so odd and annoying. Wish sync 3 had wireless android auto and carplay.
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I’ve had that happen as well like 3 or 4 times total. Once it would not start working at all after several minutes so I shut the car off and let it sit off for a few minutes to make sure sync stared fresh again and it was fine after that. Is there a way to soft reboot sync without shutting the car completely off?

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
first thing i would try is replacing the cable. i have only used the usb in the center console and its worked consistently with my iphone 12 and now 13. the cable is the apple one that came with the phone.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I have a couple different cables in the car so when it happened last, tried both cables and both ports and it was the same, would not charge or connect to carplay, showed no usb device connected. I assume the module the ports are connected to doesn’t start properly sometimes. A restart of the car fixes it but you need to let the car stay off for a few minutes.

Rojito_95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT PP1/MT82, 95 F-150 XL "custom"
go to your local dealer, and see if your sync software needs an update if not you could possibly need a new APIM, but thats for the service dept to figure out whether or not you need one.
my wifes '20 f150 does the same thing and will only "reset" if you shut the truck and the radio off and then restart the truck

Sponsored

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
go to your local dealer, and see if your sync software needs an update if not you could possibly need a new APIM, but thats for the service dept to figure out whether or not you need one.
my wifes '20 f150 does the same thing and will only "reset" if you shut the truck and the radio off and then restart the truck
Which is exactly why I’m sure this is a sync bug in general. My sync is in a brand new 21 and fully updated. I don’t think anything is faulty, I think sync is just faulty. It’s just a random bug.

Rojito_95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT PP1/MT82, 95 F-150 XL "custom"
Which is exactly why I’m sure this is a sync bug in general. My sync is in a brand new 21 and fully updated. I don’t think anything is faulty, I think sync is just faulty. It’s just a random bug.
yeah, you'd think that if this bug has came around in the 20 MY that maybe theyd have fixed it by now *eye roll* but i suppose not, on the brightside atleast you have warranty!

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah, you'd think that if this bug has came around in the 20 MY that maybe theyd have fixed it by now *eye roll* but i suppose not, on the brightside atleast you have warranty!
Lol sync has been buggy as shit since my 2014.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Every now and then, the USB ports just take a shit and won’t charge the phone or start android auto or apple car play. It like bugs out. The ports aren’t faulty, it seems to just be some sync glitch where it will stop reading from them for like five minutes then magically start again. It’s super random, no rhyme or reason. Ill plug in my iPhone 11 Pro, it won’t even charge. So then I plugged my s21 ultra in and it says make sure the cable is plugged in properly, which it is. So I plug into another port and after a minute it works. I’ll unplug and then plug into the console one again and it’ll work. It’s so odd and annoying. Wish sync 3 had wireless android auto and carplay.
i think there might be an issue with your APIM. I had only had this issue once since I got the car. The only issue I know of is that the usb cable isn’t snug so any slight move it disconnects and reconnects. I had this same issue when my 2020 GT was at the dealer for over 2 months, they gave me loaner loaded explorer and even when connected to the usb c the slightest tug would cause disconnects.

I use car2play and connect I don’t have any of these issues.

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
mine would randomly disconnect. Changed to a OEM apple cable, and everything has been ok since.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I’ve had that happen as well like 3 or 4 times total. Once it would not start working at all after several minutes so I shut the car off and let it sit off for a few minutes to make sure sync stared fresh again and it was fine after that. Is there a way to soft reboot sync without shutting the car completely off?
yes you can reset the radio by holding power and fast forward button at the same until the unit cycles off and then back on

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i think there might be an issue with your APIM. I had only had this issue once since I got the car. The only issue I know of is that the usb cable isn’t snug so any slight move it disconnects and reconnects. I had this same issue when my 2020 GT was at the dealer for over 2 months, they gave me loaner loaded explorer and even when connected to the usb c the slightest tug would cause disconnects.

I use car2play and connect I don’t have any of these issues.
Nope, moving the cable doesn’t do a thing. It’s not that, believe me I thought that at first and tested it, and confirmed it’s not. It’s just the system bug because like stated above when you shut car off and shut sync down then power back up, it works again.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes you can reset the radio by holding power and fast forward button at the same until the unit cycles off and then back on
Thank you!!!! I’ve been looking for this as well so I don’t have to shut the car off and open a door.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mine would randomly disconnect. Changed to a OEM apple cable, and everything has been ok since.
I’m using a stock apple cable for carplay. No diff

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It’s not a bug, it’s a problem. I’ve had a number of Ford vehicles with Sync 3 and never had this issue. It’s a new car under warranty so bring it to the dealer. Could be the APIM, could be the USB port itself. Could be a wire and/or a connection. Now if the dealer does everything they can and it still happens, we’ll then maybe it’s a bug. :giggle: :like:
Sponsored