Sponsored

Who changes their own oil with a factory Ford warranty?

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
So I see all these oil change problems coming from Ford dealerships posted on Facebook.

Yet, many of them are still saying have the dealership change the oil if the car still has a warranty. They say otherwise it doesn't get reported on Carfax and they could deny a warranty claim if something bad happens.

I just recently bought our 19 350 early May and changed the oil. Also, when I checked the the Carfax before I bought the car, it didn't really show many oil changes reported. My car currently has 17,400 miles.

What are you guys doing? And anyone else have more knowledge on this subject?

Thanks!
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Ford cannot void your warranty due to you changing your own oil. Keep your receipts. I also do an oil analysis on each of my Mustang oil changes and every other oil change on my other cars. Piece of mind. Good Luck

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So I see all these oil change problems coming from Ford dealerships posted on Facebook.

Yet, many of them are still saying have the dealership change the oil if the car still has a warranty. They say otherwise it doesn't get reported on Carfax and they could deny a warranty claim if something bad happens.

I just recently bought our 19 350 early May and changed the oil. Also, when I checked the the Carfax before I bought the car, it didn't really show many oil changes reported. My car currently has 17,400 miles.

What are you guys doing? And anyone else have more knowledge on this subject?

Thanks!
To keep the warranty in tact, you’re supposed to keep receipts, and have some kind of log stating date, type of service, and mileage. I keep all my receipts and a full maintenance log in the trunk where the spare tire should go. I take the extra step of taking a picture of oil draining out of the oil pan during every oil change as added evidence, but I’m sure that’s overkill.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I keep a maintenance log in an Excel spreadsheet listing the date, mileage, service performed, and the parts used. For engine oil changes specifically, I take a photo of the bottles of Motorcraft 5W50 and the odometer at the time of change. I also print pdfs of my online orders of oil, filters, etc.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Anyone who is taking their car to the dealership for an oil change on THIS car ought to re-examime their approach.

The dealers are paying their employees to crank out the work as quick as humanly possible.

That leads to techs filling the wrong oil at the wrong quantity. On top of that it is common that they don't torque the filter correctly.

Change your own oil. It's not hard. These cars are not GTs, but the techs often treat them as such.

OP
OP
Bdubbs

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
Anyone who is taking their car to the dealership for an oil change on THIS car ought to re-examime their approach.

The dealers are paying their employees to crank out the work as quick as humanly possible.

That leads to techs filling the wrong oil at the wrong quantity. On top of that it is common that they don't torque the filter correctly.

Change your own oil. It's not hard. These cars are not GTs, but the techs often treat them as such.
This is exactly what I was saying and some people would just argue with me.

Looks like I need to look for my receipts, and start a log.

If it helps, I do get along well with my dealership. And we bought new cars from them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I change my own. Not worried about voiding the warranty. The owners manual just ask you to document your self-oil changes.
There is not a chance you would void your warranty unless you use amsoil, lol, jk

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I have always changed my own oil to make sure it was done correctly. Given the history of very seldom VooDoo engine failures, I interviewed the local dealership about having their Shelby Mechanic change the oil.

I would not consider the "Quick Change" monkeys at the Ford dealerships...!!! Stay away from them!

They let me talk to their dedicated Shelby guy and I was impressed. He had a technique for Shelby oil changes and always replaced the yellow drain plug, as well as getting the oil seepage removed. He also lets me walk into the bay and witness the oil change while we talk shop. I often take pictures.

While under warranty, I would like them to share the liability if the engine goes Ka-Boom.
(I don't think "Ka-Boom" will happen since I have already logged over 37,000 miles)

Last edited:

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
if your engine failed because you didn't change the oil for so long it became sludge that will be readily apparent on teardown. moreover, if it failed because it ran dry then the real question would be "why did it run dry to begin with?".

I do my own service because I don't trust anyone.

Also, an oil change at the dealer takes like two hours because they suck so F that.

Last edited:

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
It depends. My 2016 goes to the Ford dealer because they service a lot of Shelbys and all their Shelby work gets done solely by two techs who know Shelbys.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I used to change my own oil in previous cars. Now I get 1st class treatment ( I better, since my other half and I brought him into this world...) at the dealership he's employed with. But, yes... change your own oil if you're able to, so that you know it's done right.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Going to get haters on this post but I will voice my opinion.

I fully believe in the dealership service approach and have no interest in changing my own oil. I also value having dealership service records more than personal records. I would assume ford holds the same opinion regardless of the the owners manual says. When you service your car at the dealership and follow guidelines. Ford no longer as the right to question YOUR service abilities. People forget is that ford can deny a warranty claim for any reason they want. The warranty is a contract nothing more. If ford doesn't want to honor the contract and deny a warranty claim you settle in court not at the dealership.

Once the 1970s do it yourself generation is gone and the softer younger generations take over they will have no problem going to the dealership.
Sponsored