Sponsored

Who cares how many cylinders a mill has!?!?

Arless

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang eco-boost
  • Banned
Todays young generation of men and women, could care less about how many cylinders a car has. Much less what it sounds like, It's all about how fast it runs and what it look's like.

That's a'ok in my eye's, but knowing the end of the v-8 engines coming sooner than I could have ever believed. That has blown me away to say the least. Pollution in the air, global warming... Green... that's what killed the v-8 and the V-6 is not far behind. To make a hell of a long post to a short post is to put it like this neither the v-8 or the v-6 will be able to pass smog.

The engines are already running so lean that when you get off the gas, and right back on the gas the engine will hesitate, and surge, and drift till you push on the gas enough to cause a down shift to allow enough fuel to operate the car without all the said problems.:mad:
Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Sounds like ample reason to order a GT.

Funny fact: One of the primary reasons I ordered my first Mustang (an '89 LX 5.0 Sport) was that we were all convinced the demise of the V8 engine was imminent. 26 model years later, I think we may have been a bit hasty in our predictions!

G-train

G Train
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the V8 will stay around a bit longer but it will be an expensive engine and you will be hard pressed to find it with a manual transmission. How many foreign companies still offer a V8 with a manual trans. I cannot think of any so gotta have that GT cause I will keep it for a long time and enjoy the heck out of it.

dkf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
It's going to be tough to find anything in a manual transmission in 5-10 years, not just a V8. Given the performance and efficiency gains automatics have over manuals, plus the diminishing number of drivers who know how to drive stick, it'll be hard for car manufacturers to justify making any manuals at all.

allgripnoslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I'm one of those who doesn't care about cylinder count as long as it has a good powerband and lots of power.

They've been saying the v8 sky is falling for decades now, hogwash. The only threat v8's face is that turbo'd smaller engines can make the same power and look better to the epa ratings, but under full load, one of my near stock 2.0T's will drop down to under 10MPG on track.

NA will die long before the V8 dies, just like NA diesel's died, but V8 diesel's are still around.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Arless

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang eco-boost
  • Banned
I sure wish I could think the v-8 will be around for a long time also, but when you hear it from the chief engineer Patrick?? something last name!?!? said quote un quote. That the four cylinder engines are the future engines that will run all of our line up. Like it hate it... we have to live with it. Unquote-:)

Went on to say that every year forth coming the Government green house law and war on pollution, and the clean air act and plus global warming have mandated car makers to down size there engines and car weight. Went on to say that long about February of each new year all car makers get a government regulated smog count that must be met or that mill that will not run that lean will be put to rest.

Said that is why we are seeing smaller size engines coming out to production with more efficient use of fuel and plus more HP. And said that would be for all car makers that sell there product to the US will have to comply with the mandated pollution laws.

But I'm like you guys way of thinking, the v-8 will be around for a while but not in any mustang or F-150 pick up. Only be for the need of large heavy vehicles that will demand a V-8 engine. If I had the money I would at least purchase a 2015 s550 GT. 5.0 liter engine behind a six speed stick shift transmission.

I would get it and drive it some on a Saturday night down town, get into some red light to red light town races. And out here if I can find another car that would give me a good run. We would pull in at the chat-n-chew burger hang out and talk about where to go do a night time race.

And we have a quarter mile drag strip right next to Bradshaw high School and here in town also. Our drag strip is marked off with white start and green finish line on the big end. The strip has enough run off after the finish line to stop a 160 mph run and has enough room to run the 160 mph dragster all the way out the back door.

You will need a parachute, or eat a ugly field of unleveled ground and small 1.5 to 2" shrub tree bushes about 3' high and about 4' around scattered all through the deserted field. I had a 1967 2+2 fastback with a 1963 & 1/2 390 GT thunder jet engine. Some of you may be old enough to know what 390 motor I had under the hood. 390 four barrel with 410 HP behind a t-10 top loader four speed.

With a Hurst line lock short throw t handle shifter with reverse lock out, this shifter and linkage comes with a linkage that you only need to pull down for second and only push straight up for third and straight back for fourth gear. The way the linkage was made you only need to push the shifter and pull the shifter there was no lateral movement on horizontal up and down movement.

That's why you had a lever to pull up to lock in reverse gear to back out, I never ever missed a shift either. Matt the floor board with the loud pedal and speed shift the shifter without ever lifting off the gas pedal. That 63 1/2 engine was twisting the driveshaft like a wet rag when it was installed in the late 1962 Galaxy 500 for the half year only. Even with the c-6 transmission the heavy 4200 plus pound Galaxy 500 would tear up a drive shaft. So mid year Ford pulled the compression back from 11.2:1 to 9.8:1 compression and in went small intake and exhaust valves and open combustion chamber heads. Smaller cam and smaller 600 CFM Holley replaced the 735 CFM Ford/Holley Carburetor. Plus off went the aluminum dual plane medium riser intake manifold for a heavy ugly cast iron intake that weighed as much as a 289 engine.

Plus the iron exhaust manifolds were changed to a pair of iron log appearing exhaust with no down sweep at all. All that to cut HP to 315 @ 4800 rpm. So had a friend call and said he saw a 390 GT and stick shift still together in our neighbor hood junk yard. I got in my old truck and hot footed it over to check it out Everything was there chrome valve covers and oil pan and dip stick even the twin snorkel air breather was still all on the engine.

It got totaled from the side next to the drivers door, Old Fred only wanted $300.00 for the mill and $175.00 for the transmission with that Hurst drag race line lock T- handle shifter and linkage. Even back then the race shifter and the whole shooten match was $187.00 brand new. That whit 67 fast back was so frecken fast nothing ever out ran it on the street 440 six pack road runners barracuda with 440 and even the mighty 1971 I think the year was for the Chevelle SS 454/450 HP big block come closer but could not beat me.

It had a Mallory dual point distributer and 65,000 volt coil and big 8 mm plug wires The man that totaled the car drunk of course, took good care of the 1963 1/2 year model Galaxy 500. I did go back and get the radiator and the Hurst rear air shocks, and latter on when I finally got my Stang to hook up and twist the drive shaft into. I bought the driveshaft he had welded up and balanced for the Galaxy 500.

After some wide rear sticky summer tires out back and installed latter bars with adjustable for height rubber snubber tips. got them all adjusted just right to launch out the whole at 5500 rpm if I wanted to show out a little. Pulled the front shocks off the front suspension. Relocated the battery to the trunk. Who ever owned the Mustang before me had a fiber glass tilt back front end done up and with rubber bungee straps on both sides of the firewall next to where the fenders close down with to factory looking notches cut out for the front end to mount the rubber bungee connector next to the windshield wiper below where the vents are is where the fastener is located for the flip top front end.

Anyway after I unhooked the front shocks the mustang was easy to get it in the air to transfer the weight quickly to the rear. With a good burn out and a couple dry hops checks for traction, all looked well for a high rpm launch. So I rpm'ed it to 5500 and dropped the new smaller diameter lighter more bite clutch. The Mustang hooked up hard and stood the front drag skinny's up about 6 or 8" on one side and about 5" on the other side. It is a lot believe it or not.

The front of the car is up where I cannot get a clear vision till it settles and rises again on second gear shift still one side comes off the ground but only just comes off the ground. 3.92 postreaction rear end Detroit locker differential. When you make a corner to turn the locker sounds like a giant ratchet clicking to not break a axel on a turn.

After adding long tube Doug Thorley 17/8' primary tube diameter 34' equal length 3" collector. No exhaust on the car at this point. First pass ran a 13.0 flat at 118 mph, No traction at all the worst I have ever seen the car spin. Hell it didn't stop till 78 mph. I had to lift twice in first it went up in smoke and when I hit second it was over revving some but no audible valve float

When I idled back down the fellow drag racers said they had an oil down in that lane prier to my run down. My old high school buddy was there and was willing to let me use a set of mickey Thompson 10" wide slicks. I went out and got them good and hot, This time I got lane choice I think it was out of goodness in his heart. These slicks were taller than my street tires buy about three inches. Any way another two runs were made the best run was a 11.99 at 127 mph best run. Factory rated at 410 HP but actually has 461 HP underrated to say the least Still gearing is not idea for drag racing as it was long out of it's power band before the finish a good 150 or so feet

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I don't really care. If it has the performance that is deemed acceptable for the application, then I'm good with it.

But its a fucking Mustang. Now I care. It has to have eight cylinders in a 90* V configuration.

OP
OP

Arless

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang eco-boost
There is enough Mustangs with v-8 engines to go around for a long, long, time to come. Better yet go get out 40 large, and get a GT anyway you like. Add 25 large and get a Shelby cobra! and then either those said or add 80 large and get the factory built twin turbocharged 5.8 liter with 662 HP. Your now up to $120,000.00 large add another $50,000.00 to the 120 figure and get a fully modified Roush race car. Either in 775 HP or 950 HP and or over 1,500.00 plus horsepower. Which is Roush's stage 8 race only, car for sale to the serious drag racer. The previous two are based off the GT 500 Cobra engine.

775 street HP and if that's not enough...- 950 HP that is license and insured for the street: And less we forget about Saleen and his Mustangs! From mild to wild street/race or race only guise's, Sign me up baby>

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
There is enough Mustangs with v-8 engines to go around for a long, long, time to come. Better yet go get out 40 large, and get a 2015 the way you want it to be. They are going to tell you or anybody when the production of the high powered 5.0 liter coyote engine will be no longer in production line up for model years that are indicated on the instruction for that year and vehicle for intended service code for car or sports car and or all three including the F-150 heavy toe 4x4 wheel drive.

They code the mill for the vehicle it's intended to be run in because a heavy toe 4x4 wheel drive super duty's engine code is strictly tuned for low to mid range torque and let HP fall where ever it may fall. No fuss, no mistake. No break down in the middle of production. Everyone acts as one unit to produce make build and or what ever they may needs be to produce.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I sure wish I could think the v-8 will be around for a long time also, but when you hear it from the chief engineer Patrick?? something last name!?!? said quote un quote. That the four cylinder engines are the future engines that will run all of our line up. Like it hate it... we have to live with it. Unquote-:)

Went on to say that every year forth coming the Government green house law and war on pollution, and the clean air act and plus global warming have mandated car makers to down size there engines and car weight. Went on to say that long about February of each new year all car makers get a government regulated smog count that must be met or that mill that will not run that lean will be put to rest.

Said that is why we are seeing smaller size engines coming out to production with more efficient use of fuel and plus more HP. And said that would be for all car makers that sell there product to the US will have to comply with the mandated pollution laws.

But I'm like you guys way of thinking, the v-8 will be around for a while but not in any mustang or F-150 pick up. Only be for the need of large heavy vehicles that will demand a V-8 engine. If I had the money I would at least purchase a 2015 s550 GT. 5.0 liter engine behind a six speed stick shift transmission.

I would get it and drive it some on a Saturday night down town, get into some red light to red light town races. And out here if I can find another car that would give me a good run. We would pull in at the chat-n-chew burger hang out and talk about where to go do a night time race.

And we have a quarter mile drag strip right next to Bradshaw high School and here in town also. Our drag strip is marked off with white start and green finish line on the big end. The strip has enough run off after the finish line to stop a 160 mph run and has enough room to run the 160 mph dragster all the way out the back door.

You will need a parachute, or eat a ugly field of unleveled ground and small 1.5 to 2" shrub tree bushes about 3' high and about 4' around scattered all through the deserted field. I had a 1967 2+2 fastback with a 1963 & 1/2 390 GT thunder jet engine. Some of you may be old enough to know what 390 motor I had under the hood. 390 four barrel with 410 HP behind a t-10 top loader four speed.

With a Hurst line lock short throw t handle shifter with reverse lock out, this shifter and linkage comes with a linkage that you only need to pull down for second and only push straight up for third and straight back for fourth gear. The way the linkage was made you only need to push the shifter and pull the shifter there was no lateral movement on horizontal up and down movement.

That's why you had a lever to pull up to lock in reverse gear to back out, I never ever missed a shift either. Matt the floor board with the loud pedal and speed shift the shifter without ever lifting off the gas pedal. That 63 1/2 engine was twisting the driveshaft like a wet rag when it was installed in the late 1962 Galaxy 500 for the half year only. Even with the c-6 transmission the heavy 4200 plus pound Galaxy 500 would tear up a drive shaft. So mid year Ford pulled the compression back from 11.2:1 to 9.8:1 compression and in went small intake and exhaust valves and open combustion chamber heads. Smaller cam and smaller 600 CFM Holley replaced the 735 CFM Ford/Holley Carburetor. Plus off went the aluminum dual plane medium riser intake manifold for a heavy ugly cast iron intake that weighed as much as a 289 engine.

Plus the iron exhaust manifolds were changed to a pair of iron log appearing exhaust with no down sweep at all. All that to cut HP to 315 @ 4800 rpm. So had a friend call and said he saw a 390 GT and stick shift still together in our neighbor hood junk yard. I got in my old truck and hot footed it over to check it out Everything was there chrome valve covers and oil pan and dip stick even the twin snorkel air breather was still all on the engine.

It got totaled from the side next to the drivers door, Old Fred only wanted $300.00 for the mill and $175.00 for the transmission with that Hurst drag race line lock T- handle shifter and linkage. Even back then the race shifter and the whole shooten match was $187.00 brand new. That whit 67 fast back was so frecken fast nothing ever out ran it on the street 440 six pack road runners barracuda with 440 and even the mighty 1971 I think the year was for the Chevelle SS 454/450 HP big block come closer but could not beat me.

It had a Mallory dual point distributer and 65,000 volt coil and big 8 mm plug wires The man that totaled the car drunk of course, took good care of the 1963 1/2 year model Galaxy 500. I did go back and get the radiator and the Hurst rear air shocks, and latter on when I finally got my Stang to hook up and twist the drive shaft into. I bought the driveshaft he had welded up and balanced for the Galaxy 500.

After some wide rear sticky summer tires out back and installed latter bars with adjustable for height rubber snubber tips. got them all adjusted just right to launch out the whole at 5500 rpm if I wanted to show out a little. Pulled the front shocks off the front suspension. Relocated the battery to the trunk. Who ever owned the Mustang before me had a fiber glass tilt back front end done up and with rubber bungee straps on both sides of the firewall next to where the fenders close down with to factory looking notches cut out for the front end to mount the rubber bungee connector next to the windshield wiper below where the vents are is where the fastener is located for the flip top front end.

Anyway after I unhooked the front shocks the mustang was easy to get it in the air to transfer the weight quickly to the rear. With a good burn out and a couple dry hops checks for traction, all looked well for a high rpm launch. So I rpm'ed it to 5500 and dropped the new smaller diameter lighter more bite clutch. The Mustang hooked up hard and stood the front drag skinny's up about 6 or 8" on one side and about 5" on the other side. It is a lot believe it or not.

The front of the car is up where I cannot get a clear vision till it settles and rises again on second gear shift still one side comes off the ground but only just comes off the ground. 3.92 postreaction rear end Detroit locker differential. When you make a corner to turn the locker sounds like a giant ratchet clicking to not break a axel on a turn.

After adding long tube Doug Thorley 17/8' primary tube diameter 34' equal length 3" collector. No exhaust on the car at this point. First pass ran a 13.0 flat at 118 mph, No traction at all the worst I have ever seen the car spin. Hell it didn't stop till 78 mph. I had to lift twice in first it went up in smoke and when I hit second it was over revving some but no audible valve float

When I idled back down the fellow drag racers said they had an oil down in that lane prier to my run down. My old high school buddy was there and was willing to let me use a set of mickey Thompson 10" wide slicks. I went out and got them good and hot, This time I got lane choice I think it was out of goodness in his heart. These slicks were taller than my street tires buy about three inches. Any way another two runs were made the best run was a 11.99 at 127 mph best run. Factory rated at 410 HP but actually has 461 HP underrated to say the least Still gearing is not idea for drag racing as it was long out of it's power band before the finish a good 150 or so feet

WOW....

The v8 will be around for many more years. Not need to start fear-mongering. The v8 will just come as a premium for those who really want it. High power turbo 4 will be enough for most in the coming years. Satisfying Ford's CAFE.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Direct injection will favor the V8s existence.

Granted more aero, but C7s are getting some pretty insane mpgs on the highway in real world experience.
Sponsored