Sponsored

Who all has done sound dampening?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I decided to sound damping. and as you know you dismantle most the car to do so. I have sound dampened all the way up to front seats so far. And Im debating on doing the rest cause that seems to be the harder part. A few questions, how hard is the removing of the front seats and the floor to dampin? would really like to hear from those who have actually done it. is there much places to dampen once you take everything out or is it all wires and hole sand such? And did you hear much difference between just the back and then also doing the front? Like I said I have done from the front seats back every inch. I'm fairly happy with just the back but would like to do the front if not to difficult. And I'll tell ya the sound difference in the car is amazing. The car just feels more solid and also found all my random rattles and fixed those. The B and O stereo sounds really great now ( I also used forscan to change the eqs). It is one of the best 59 bucks and 5 hours of my time i have spent on the car.

I also learned just how cheaply made these cars are which is a shame nothing but snaps, plastic and foam. I can promise you all the money is in front of the dash cause it sure ain't behind it. Still love my stang though but sometimes it best not to look behind the curtain LOL
Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Are you sound dampening to improve stereo sound quality or to reduce road noise/exhaust noise?

And removing the front seats is very easy. Just make sure you have the correct socket.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Are you sound dampening to improve stereo sound quality or to reduce road noise/exhaust noise?

And removing the front seats is very easy. Just make sure you have the correct socket.
Both actually. Started to reduce interior noise but realized it mane the stereo better. Yes I see the front seats are only 4 bolts that part doesn't worry me so much its the carpet and all the other stuff to get to bare metal. Never done it and curious from those who have if its difficult. Then dont want to go through all that to find there is some padding attached or something like that to wear i couldn't stick the damping down.

For example I was gonna put a bit on the roof and went to remove roof liner and found there is some big factory cardboard like thing up there so i stopped removing it. cause i wouldn't have been able to put sheets up there anyway. Don't want to take seats out an all that and run into same thing. Or if it really doesn't make much difference in interior sound wouldn't want to do all that either.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I haven't removed the carpet, but the seats are easy as you said.

If you're not concerned with adding weight I would prioritize quality CLD tiles, MLV, and CCF in the typical locations (rear area, doors) before going into the roof and other higher effort areas. I think you'll quiet it down plenty just doing that without getting carried away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I haven't removed the carpet, but the seats are easy as you said.

If you're not concerned with adding weight I would prioritize quality CLD tiles, MLV, and CCF in the typical locations (rear area, doors) before going into the roof and other higher effort areas. I think you'll quiet it down plenty just doing that without getting carried away.
Thanks for the info but I already have the the whole back done and I've only added 9 lbs wont be but a couple more to do floor. as for doors those are a pain in the back side im not doing those lol. I watched a video on dismantling them and it's a pain and then the whole door is nothing but holes nothing really to sound dampen unless you remove the window and do the outer part and that simply is wayyyyy to much work and crap in there to mess up. Not for me :) But if after the easy seat removal the rest of floor is easy ill do it just need to find someone who has to see what's involved and if worth effort.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I've done the complete opposite, lol. Removed a lot of the factory sound dampening.
you mean seats, interior panels and speakers and carpet LOL. there was no damping in mine unless you chiseled of that rubbery glue stuff in places. :)

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
I hate to be "that guy", but it's damping. Not dampening. You are not making things wet or moist. I only say this because I deal with it at work all the time and people constantly say it incorrectly, kind of how people tend to say, nucular instead of nuclear. Anyway, carry on.
On a side note, one of my friends added a bunch of dynamat to his trunk. Like layers of foam and dynamat on top to reduce road noise and sound from the exhaust. I think it makes more a difference on a hatchback but it also seemed to be the easiest place to add it since the trunk carpet comes up pretty easily and there usually is not much sound deadening back there.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I hate to be "that guy", but it's damping. Not dampening. You are not making things wet or moist. I only say this because I deal with it at work all the time and people constantly say it incorrectly, kind of how people tend to say, nucular instead of nuclear. Anyway, carry on.
On a side note, one of my friends added a bunch of dynamat to his trunk. Like layers of foam and dynamat on top to reduce road noise and sound from the exhaust. I think it makes more a difference on a hatchback but it also seemed to be the easiest place to add it since the trunk carpet comes up pretty easily and there usually is not much sound deadening back there.
Ill allow it cause you said anyway, instead of anyways. Lol jesus people are even typing anyways and professional writers are saying anyways...its like nails on a chalkboard. so I understand but you would be only 50% right. Actually the terms are used interchangeably. and the two biggest manufacturers dynamat (calls their products sound dampers) and kilmat (calls their products sound deadeners). I also use to work for Borg warner turbo system who at the time also made harmonic balancer for ford which take vibration out of engines and the pulley assemblies.. and those are commonly known as... damper assemblies. Because they dampen the vibrations. The same thing the rubber sound Mats do that we install for sound damping. so we are neither both right or both wrong. but it is a personal hang up on how you like to hear it :) but as for anyways... dang it there is no s on the end LOL.

But back to seriousness, yeah I already have done the back and it made a big difference Im now just wanting some 411 from anyone who has actually removed the floor and if it's a big deal or not. and whats under it, dont want to go through all that to find I cant put anything there anyway.

Thanks for your reply

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....I was gonna put a bit on the roof and went to remove roof liner and found there is some big factory cardboard like thing up there so i stopped removing it. cause i wouldn't have been able to put sheets up there anyway. Don't want to take seats out an all that and run into same thing. Or if it really doesn't make much difference in interior sound wouldn't want to do all that either.
The cardboard thing is the roof liner. And there is anti-NVH stuff you can put up there in sheets, peel & stick stuff.

It makes a tremendous difference. 'Uge.

I've thought about doing what you're doing, but stripping the interior also concerns me.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've done the complete opposite, lol. Removed a lot of the factory sound dampening.
Yeah, me too. Back half of the interior is gutted, front half going this year. Car is lardy but getting more svelte, and a hell of a lot faster, with each piece removed. Next up, fat assed Recaros going to be replaced by race seats at half the weight.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I did dynomat through the entire interior, including the insides of the doors and the trunk. It was a pain in the ass and took me a couple of days to remove and reinstall everything, but it made a huge difference with stereo sound, and other squeaks and rattles in the car. I'm planning on doing it again on my next mustang.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I did dynomat through the entire interior, including the insides of the doors and the trunk. It was a pain in the ass and took me a couple of days to remove and reinstall everything, but it made a huge difference with stereo sound, and other squeaks and rattles in the car. I'm planning on doing it again on my next mustang.
so not the floor under the front seats? thats the parts im wondering about. I did the rest like you and yes big difference.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
so not the floor under the front seats? thats the parts im wondering about. I did the rest like you and yes big difference.
I did the entire interior. The entire floor under all of the seats including front and back, the insides of the doors, and as much of the inside of the rear quarters as possible with all the trim pulled out of the car, and the entire trunk including the spare tire well, so pretty much everywhere possible.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I did the entire interior. The entire floor under all of the seats including front and back, the insides of the doors, and as much of the inside of the rear quarters as possible with all the trim pulled out of the car, and the entire trunk including the spare tire well, so pretty much everywhere possible.
Cool ok so how hard was the area under front seats? I know seats come out easy but what about flooring? Hard? Worth it? Anything but bare metal under there?
Sponsored