Sponsored

White Platinum Tri-Coat Touch-Up Paint - Recommendations?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Looking for recommendations for White Platinum Tri-Coat touch up paint for my '17 GT. I've tried the Ford 2 step - base coat was too dark with a grey tint which the sparkly top coat doesn't hide and it doesn't match. But at least it has sparkles. Dr Color Chip was not much better and didn't come close to matching either, looks white with no metal flake sparkle. It did fill in chips on my front bumper well and was easier to apply. Curious if anyone else has or had a white platinum car and used a touch up paint they were satisfied with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
catchthecarp

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I bought Dupli-Color touch up paint to try. It comes in a similar container and visually doesn't look any different than the Ford kit, a two step with a white base coat and grey-silver metal flake clear coat. Results were the same as what I got with using the Ford touch up kit, it doesn't come close to matching the factory paint and has a noticeably darker hue.

So I decided to experiment and mix the base and clear coat together and this yielded the best results. I used a dab of the white base coat and mixed in the metal flake clear coat, not an exact science but I guestimate it was 1 part base coat to 3-4 parts clear coat. I mixed the paint and applied using a small fine paint brush. Applying the paint with a small paint brush is the way to go, much easier to control the amount of paint and where it goes.

This spot I needed to touch up was a gouge caused by an object that struck the roof right above the windshield on the drivers side, it was a glancing blow that peeled off a sliver of the roof and left a sharp barb that would snag my washing mitt and drying towels. I left it alone for awhile since it wasn't very noticeable but then it started to rust which led me down this path. I removed the barb with the abrasive sanding tip that came with touch up paint and then wet sanded the gouge with 2000 grit until smooth. Clean with IPA and then applied mix of base and clear. Let dry and apply more paint mixture until gouge was filled. Wet sand area with 3000 grit until smooth, then hit with DA polisher using Megs Medium Cut polish to remove sanding marks and then Meg's 205 to finish. I circled the area i repaired, if you look close you can see a slight darker spot within the circled area in the photo. From more than a 3-4 feet away most people will not notice. This was my third attempt at fixing this and while not perfect I am satisfied with how it turned out.

50263579328_41803e7808_c.jpg

Last edited: