Sponsored

White marks on door plastic

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Hey everyone. I have marks in the pockets of my door panels that look like white scratches, but they aren't. I believe they are from the plastic caps of the occasional water bottle and other things that get placed in the door pockets.

I've wiped them down with a detailing spray, but that doesn't do the trick. What do you recommend to clean them up?

Thanks!
Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Any chance they're actually stress marks? (not "stretch"..."stress")

Plastic panels like doors, quarters etc. display stress marks when they are flexed or bent beyond their range of flexibility. You can't clean them off or buff them out.

If indeed they are stress marks, you can try a few light dabs with a Sharpie marker and rub in the ink with your finger. If that doesn't satisfy you, then a small butane torch and GENTLE heat will "ease" the stress and allow the marks to fade. But this method is somewhat dicey if you've never done it before. If you decide to try it, DO NOT rub, flex, buff, press, wipe, clean or otherwise interact with the heated area until it has cooled right down. And be aware that this method -- while quite effective on stress marks -- will sometimes leave a shiny area where the heat was applied that doesn't quite match the surrounding texture.

Please follow up with your evaluation/decision/success.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
No, they aren't stress marks from bending or flexing. They are marks from things rubbing on the plastic. About the only things that have gone in the door pockets are water bottles. Maybe white was a bad description. How about shiny or glossy marks? If need be I will take a pic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with these.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Okay - I see. You should try the Sharpie trick, then. It definitely won't make it any worse...and you may find you're quite satisfied with the result.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I'd start off with something like Nextzett deep plastic cleaner, it works well on some rub marks. A lot of people use it on the door sills that get rub marks from getting in and out of the car. If that doesn't work I'd try some Aerospace 303 on it that small area, it slightly darkens plastic. If that doesn't work move onto a trim restorer. Just apply it to the scuffed area with a Q-tip or something like that.

Sponsored

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I'll vouch for the Sharpie trick. Dot in sparingly on scuff if it won't rub out and rub in with finger and then micro fibre cloth. Some blending maybe required with 303 Aerospace Protectant. I just did this on a 1.5" long scuff mark from a hockey stick in an inconspicuous area and upon viewing with my reading glasses the repair is completely invisible - the panel looks brand new!

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
OK, thanks for the tips everyone. I just thought there was a good product to use that wipes off the light colored scuff marks on plastic by using a little elbow grease. I didn't realize it was so involved. I will give these tips a shot.

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Dredging this one back up because I found a product that covers-up those "white marks". Sharpie doesn't work worth a damn. I had some of this leather dye in the garage and dabbed some on waited a few seconds and wiped away excess. Perfecto results!
dye.jpg

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Simoniz makes an eraser type thing for cleaning wax and scuffs off plastic. Used it on my kick panel and it removed everything. Then a quick wipedown with 303 aerospace prorectant and it's good as new.

It doesn't state it's for scuffs but works awesome on them.
Screenshot_20180529-112337_Chrome-486x999.jpg
Screenshot_20180529-112340_Chrome-486x999.jpg

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I was just going to post a question on this subject. I have scuff marks that are visible on my glove box that are driving me CRAZY! I thought about using Meguiars Scratch compound, but I will try these ideas and see what happens!
Sponsored