Sponsored

Whirring sound from rear wheels and what is your EB's MPG?

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I noticed that when my car hasn't been driven for awhile (5+ hours), and when I start driving it (even if the engine is completely warmed up), I hear a sort of "whirring" sound behind/under the rear seats.

It sounds almost like the parking brake is on. I thought that maybe the parking brake is "stuck on"? I did notice that when I first got the car in december, I would get very high 20's for my MPG on highway, and I would see it often go over 30mpg. Now I notice that I get around 24MPG on highway. Anyone else hear anything from the rear while coasting? The noise is very faint. Most do not notice it until I mention it, and then when they try really hard to listen, then they say, "Oh yeah, I do hear it"

I also have reported in another thread that when I drive on highways and stop, I feel like there is a hint of burnt smell. Wondering now if they are related.

Anyway, I really dislike taking cars into dealer service as I hate it when they try to run some bullshit on why I need to get extra crap done (no I don't need $400 injector cleaning, the car's not even a year old!) and spending 10 minutes trying to fend off the pushy service advisers. Not to mention the 3-4 trips because the technician always writes, "No problem found..." and returns the car with 10+ miles on the odometer.

Thanks for any helps,
Sponsored

Catfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2003 Cobra, 2015 GT PP
That's what warranties are for, and they shouldn't be upselling you anything on a car that new. I would make an appointment telling them that you think the parking brake or a rear caliper is hung up. Next time you drive it, get out and feel the rear wheels. If one or both are really hot, get her fixed.

Chlocli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1999.5 Audi A4 1.8qtms

BumpnRun

I bleed FORD Blue...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'65 Mustang '08 Edge ltd '98 F150 50th ann
I noticed that when my car hasn't been driven for awhile (5+ hours), and when I start driving it (even if the engine is completely warmed up), I hear a sort of "whirring" sound behind/under the rear seats.

It sounds almost like the parking brake is on. I thought that maybe the parking brake is "stuck on"? I did notice that when I first got the car in december, I would get very high 20's for my MPG on highway, and I would see it often go over 30mpg. Now I notice that I get around 24MPG on highway. Anyone else hear anything from the rear while coasting? The noise is very faint. Most do not notice it until I mention it, and then when they try really hard to listen, then they say, "Oh yeah, I do hear it"

I also have reported in another thread that when I drive on highways and stop, I feel like there is a hint of burnt smell. Wondering now if they are related.

Anyway, I really dislike taking cars into dealer service as I hate it when they try to run some bullshit on why I need to get extra crap done (no I don't need $400 injector cleaning, the car's not even a year old!) and spending 10 minutes trying to fend off the pushy service advisers. Not to mention the 3-4 trips because the technician always writes, "No problem found..." and returns the car with 10+ miles on the odometer.

Thanks for any helps,

Take your car to your selling dealer and see if they will let a tech take a ride with you. When I was a tech at a Ford dealership, and the Expedition and Explorer first went to IRS and had aluminum carrier housings, we had all sorts of ring gear "Whirring" noises with them, some on coast, some on accel. They were not set up properly at the factory and once the noise starts the ring and pinion must be replaced and set up to eliminate the noise. They should be able to quiet your car down. Good luck.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Mine makes a really subtle roaring noise around 55 mph and up. It almost sounds like your on a really, really light sounding rumble strip or knobby tires. There's a slight vibration in the steering, but the weird thing is, the noise will stop when I let off the gas.

I've been trying to distinguish if it's a motor noise issue (like the stupid sound symposer) or something else. I don't think it's an alignment or tire problem due to it stopping when I release the throttle.

Any suggestions? I might make a separate thread on this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I think I'm having a similar problem. Very loud noise when coasting. In the process of setting up a dealer appointment.

Have any of you fixed your noise?

Ronnoc0925

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think I'm having a similar problem. Very loud noise when coasting. In the process of setting up a dealer appointment.

Have any of you fixed your noise?
I know this is old, but I am having this issue in my 2015 GT now. Did you figure out what was causing this?
Sponsored