Cassius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Hey,

First post here so if its been asked before, I'm sorry - I've searched diligently without finding a similar thread or answers. Some forum dudes get so righteous about this...

So I was "testing" the latest iteration of my tunefile yesterday. I had been lucky until this incident as I've had the back come around a few times, these things do that so easily... Not this time, with no power on and just a bit of momentum the back came around so fast and LHS rear smacked the curb.

I drove back to our workshop gingerly to get out of the danger zone as every bellend and their dog has a dash cam here just waiting to send the footage to the police.

There was a new whirring/buzzing noise under power coming from the affected wheel area and maybe the feeling of a flat tire. It was uncool.

I got the car on the hoist and to my surprise the rim was relatively unscathed, just a bit of wife like curb rash carelessness.
I looked everywhere, toe control arm, all the bushes and rod ends - nothing obvious. Put the car in 1st gear and let the wheels turn. The wheel/tire is running true, the half-shaft/axle on the affected side looked fine. The wheel looks to be at the correct angle and evenly spaced outside the wheel arch.

So I took it out for another spin to see that I wasn't being a hypochondriac - definitely something wrong, whirring buzzing under load over 80km/hr. Back on the hoist, pulled the wheel off, still nothing obvious, pulled the wheel bearing assembly out, it feels like a new one should (hard to simulate any sort load obviously but nicely stiff and smooth). Haven't pulled out the whole half-shaft yet but as I said before it was running true and silently on initial inspection.

Am I missing something obvious? Will pulling the axle show up any issues with the CV ends if they exist? Or maybe I've munted the diff?

Any good help or a similar story and remedy will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Definitely start with a new hub/bearing assembly on that side. When they are damaged they can emit a low growling/whirring sound.

OP
OP

Cassius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Cool, thank you for your reply

I have replaced the bearing and will test it out today

OP
OP

Cassius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Just for everyone's info, replaced hub bearing and noise is gone - phew!!!
Sponsored