Sponsored

Whirring from the AC?

JasonBecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, MT
The other day my car just started making a whirring or whining noise when the AC is on. It's directly related to the engine because as the engine revs the whir matches it, and as I slow the engine the whirring or whining slows. When I'm stopped and the engine is idling the noise disappears. When I turn the AC off the noise doesn't happen at all, regardless of how fast or slowly the engine is revving.

The performance of the car has not changed at all.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? (In case it matters I have the 2015 GT Premium)

Thanks.
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
like the AC blows harder the more you rev?

OP
OP
JasonBecker

JasonBecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, that's the thing. Everything is operating normally, as far as I can tell. It's almost like there is a fan or something that spins faster with the increased revving of the engine and it's touching something.

I'm going to try to get a video of it when I get home this evening and maybe it'll be easier to understand.

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have this issue as well. I have no idea what's causing it, everything seems to be operational but I do get the whirring noise

OP
OP
JasonBecker

JasonBecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE

A few days after this started the noise actually stopped, but then I noticed that the AC wasn't blowing cold air anymore. It only seemed to blow whatever air temperature was outside, so I took it to the dealer. He couldn't hear the noise, as it had stopped, but he found that he needed to replace a ring on the compressor. Once he did that the AC was blowing cold air again.

But as soon as I got on the highway to go home the noise came back! At least this time I was able to record a video so that you can hear the sound. Sorry if the video is tough to hear, I don't record a lot of videos.

[ame]

Sponsored

Pootie_Stang

Wah Dah Ta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP Base
mine does the same thing; my a/c stopped working due to a Freon leak; they fixed it and now I have the super loud whine too; apparently a lot of people are experiencing it too

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
At least this time I was able to record a video so that you can hear the sound. Sorry if the video is tough to hear, I don't record a lot of videos.
You might be sweating, but the competition would be scared to mess with you when hearing that supercharger-like whine. :D

It seems there's many members posting about AC issues now that it's warm.

OP
OP
JasonBecker

JasonBecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIXED

Second time through the dealership repair shop and they finally got to the bottom of it. It's the compressor. It had to be replaced.

He told me he didn't know what the particular issue with the compressor was because they don't open them up, they just send them back to Ford, but it was definitely the compressor.

Since it was fixed I've revved up as high as 5000 (which I never do) with the AC on max high and there wasn't a peep.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Interesting. Glad you got it fixed. As I started reading from the top, I thought this might be the weird whirring like what I had been hearing in my car. For me, I finally tracked the sound down to it being my cooled seats. I've had my car for about 1.5 years now. This is the 2nd spring/summer with it. Never noticed it before a few weeks ago. I can really only hear it when I'm sitting still with no music/sound on (and the cooled seats are on, obviously). It's a similar whirring sound that constantly spins up and then off, up and then off, up and then off...every several seconds. Kind of strange but everything seems to be working fine. Like I said, it's def not the A/C but thought it might be related until I read that you got it fixed and yours was indeed your A/C system. Figured I'd mention it anyway.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Mine is making this same whirring sound - listening to it outside is much louder and coming from the engine. A/C does not blow cold. Thankfully we have had a cooler spell lately, but it was really hot for a while in May which made my long commute uncomfortable.

Going into the shop next week to get this addressed along with the automatic trans clank and upper seatback not blowing cold. I requested and they are giving me a loaner since I told them I suspect they will have my car for a while. :(

OP
OP
JasonBecker

JasonBecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a tough break. Hopefully it'll get fixed quickly and you'll be back on the road. There really seem to be a lot of people who have problems with the cooled seats.
Sponsored