Sponsored

Whippled 6-sp with RXT clutch- so hard to drive!

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
What was it you didn't like? Did the clutch have a really high catch point? It's a shame because I heard the tremec in the new Mach 1 is wonderful. They should be using that in all the GT's.

It grabbed to high and abrupt, hard to get a smooth release. I wanted a manual but was a little gun shy after that drive. I tried test driving the tremic at a local dealership but they wanted me to do a bunch of paperwork and to agree to a $2.5K ADP

I don't think anything's wrong per se, there isn't even any chatter with the clutch. I think the main problem for me is I feel I have no control of the gas pedal in terms of trying to just give it a little bit of gas. That seems almost impossible when engine is under no load. I just touch the pedal and vrrroooooom!

It's that combined with the fact the clutch catches so high and with very little grab feeling.

So it's like the engine is revving as I am slowly releasing the clutch pedal waiting for some type of grab feeling that isn't there. Releasing it more, still not there, meanwhile engine is just revving, than it finally just suddenly catches. I feel embarrassed driving it, like I said people around me must be like WTF.

But other than the engagement issues everything seems to physically work ok if you know what I mean.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There’s nothing wrong with the clutch or the install. I have the same setup on my 350. Give it some time, you’ll get used to it. I did the same thing a few times after the whipple/clutch install. Sounded like I was at a staging light in a pro stock car. Thinking wtf, I drove a clutch better when I was 12.

SlowJunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
Like @moffets said. Take the clutch pedal spring out. That was the first thing I did to my 18. Since I have done many things, including a Whipple gen5 stage 2. Removing that God awful clutch spring made the biggest difference for me even before FI. Best part is that it is a free mod. Worth a shot.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It is NOT the twin disc clutch.
Part of the problem is the stiff clutch along with the light flywheel. The light flywheel allows the car to rev quickly. But, the down side is that all of a sudden with the stiff, quick engaging ceramic clutch there is no softening in the clutch springs. You are "on" or "off". Not fun.
That is a terrible combination and that clutch is not necessary. Change the flywheel and clutch kit with something more realistic for the street.
It is NOT the tune.
Look for a bit higher hp clutch kit than stock with organic clutch material and reasonable clamping pressure plate along with and Iron flywheel which allows for normal driving and you will LOVE your Mustang again.
Likely why the previous owner sold it.
What he saidđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 & 2021 C8 Z51
There’s nothing wrong with the clutch or the install. I have the same setup on my 350. Give it some time, you’ll get used to it. I did the same thing a few times after the whipple/clutch install. Sounded like I was at a staging light in a pro stock car. Thinking wtf, I drove a clutch better when I was 12.
LOL, exactly! Thanks for the feedback, that makes me feel better

Sponsored

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, today it is 55 out, beautiful day here in NY, just like spring, and I took the car out for my second drive. and I am VERY happy to report I was able to drive it OK!

I just cleared my mind of how I normally drive a stick, thought about what how the gas pedal was reacting and how the clutch was engaging, adjusted technique, and was able to drive it quite smoothly. There was a couple hiccups here and there, but for the most part I was fine.

I think my first drive was a mix of the cold temps and me trying to drive it the same as I drove my Z06. The warm weather and thinking more about it and adapting = success. So right now, I am confident I can drive the car fine and will just get better with it.

I AM SO RELIEVED!

Now, I still worry about the durability of the MT-82, but one hurdle at a time :)

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
cold starts are usually touchier, i would recommend a
spacer behind the carpet on the clutch pedal contact area. limits the depth the pedal can go and to your leg and brain its feels like the catch point is lower. makes me also wonder if its less strain on the clutch spring and hydraulics as you arent ever maxing out the range. you will still have half a pedal travel before it starts to grab but easier to drive with.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The Mt-82 is fine as long as your not trying to speed shift it and miss. Much like the T-5’s from back in the day. The McLeod clutch is really good, it’s just the engagement is right now, even more then the oem dual disc. And of course it’s a touch higher in the pedal. I like the McLeod, but the oem dual disc in the 350 is one of the best clutch’s in any car I’ve ever driven.

Well, today it is 55 out, beautiful day here in NY, just like spring, and I took the car out for my second drive. and I am VERY happy to report I was able to drive it OK!

I just cleared my mind of how I normally drive a stick, thought about what how the gas pedal was reacting and how the clutch was engaging, adjusted technique, and was able to drive it quite smoothly. There was a couple hiccups here and there, but for the most part I was fine.

I think my first drive was a mix of the cold temps and me trying to drive it the same as I drove my Z06. The warm weather and thinking more about it and adapting = success. So right now, I am confident I can drive the car fine and will just get better with it.

I AM SO RELIEVED!

Now, I still worry about the durability of the MT-82, but one hurdle at a time :)

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
First, for reference, I've been driving stick for over 30 years and my two previous two cars with sticks were a heads/cam c5 z06 and h/c c6 z06, c5 had twin disk clutch. Could drive both perfectly fine including sitting in heavy traffic for long periods of time.

Last night I took my recently purchased 2017 Mustang GT for its first drive, and I felt Like a 15 year old driving his first car. First the gas pedal is super sensitive, it just revs so fast with just a slight push of the throttle. Secondly the RXT1200HD clutch grabs very high, almost at point where clutch is being totally let out. So as I'm trying to give it a little gas and feel some clutch grab, the car just revs like vroooommmm and then all then eventually clutch finally grabs very high very quickly with little feel of it slipping in.

Car has lightened steel flywheel, aluminum DS, And Whipple is GEN 5 stage 2 with 132mm tb and 3.75 pulley running whipples tune.

The main problem is first gear from a stop. People in cars around me must be saying WTF is he doing, its that bad. Never had any issue with stick before. Never driven a car this difficult in my life. I'm sure I'll get more used to it, but it seems like an act of ultra precision to do it smoothly. NO WAY I could ever drive this car in any traffic right now.

For starters, Can it be tuned to Rev much slower?
I have a 15 with the rxt1200hd and stage 2 whipple with the steel flywheel. My car is also a performance pack with the 3.73 gears. EVERYTHING you describe is precisely what I went through. First was brutally hard and going to second not much better. The clutch is NOT forgiving at all but holds the power like no other. It does need substantial breakin time. I can tell you from my experience after 5k miles it got better and it is also much better after warming up. It is without a doubt a digital circuit so quick shifting helps. I was seriously contemplating converting my clutch to a different disc for a while but feel like i finally enjoy it now….5 months later.

i was embarrassed, frustrated, and confused for so long. Oh and keep traction control OFF for breakin. Car gets confused with it on and thinks it is losing traction as you are trying to slip it at high revs.
Dm me if you want to exchange notes.

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 15 with the rxt1200hd and stage 2 whipple with the steel flywheel. My car is also a performance pack with the 3.73 gears. EVERYTHING you describe is precisely what I went through. First was brutally hard and going to second not much better. The clutch is NOT forgiving at all but holds the power like no other. It does need substantial breakin time. I can tell you from my experience after 5k miles it got better and it is also much better after warming up. It is without a doubt a digital circuit so quick shifting helps. I was seriously contemplating converting my clutch to a different disc for a while but feel like i finally enjoy it now….5 months later.

i was embarrassed, frustrated, and confused for so long. Oh and keep traction control OFF for breakin. Car gets confused with it on and thinks it is losing traction as you are trying to slip it at high revs.
Dm me if you want to exchange notes.
Appreciate the feedback, and glad to hear it wasn't just me!! The clutch only has about 400 miles on it, so it's got a very long way to go to get to 5k miles. It's not my daily driver and will only be driven occasionally. Anyhow, nice to hear you eventually got used to it. The previous owner also told me to keep TC off. I just have to get used to turning it off every time I get in the car. Cheers!

Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Mine is also not my daily. At 1500 miles i was still getting chatter which was driving me nuts( nearly threw in the towel). 2500 the chatter was gone but it was still brutal off the line. Around 3500 things started coming together, i would still have a hard time occasionally …just enough to drive me nuts. Warm weather was a big help, but teaching myself to throw out everything i knew by reflex was the hardest part.

cheers!!

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is also not my daily. At 1500 miles i was still getting chatter which was driving me nuts( nearly threw in the towel). 2500 the chatter was gone but it was still brutal off the line. Around 3500 things started coming together, i would still have a hard time occasionally …just enough to drive me nuts. Warm weather was a big help, but teaching myself to throw out everything i knew by reflex was the hardest part.

cheers!!
Do you have a totally stock MT-82? It's held up fine for you? What tires do you run?

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Stock mt82. Balding crap tires. Going to put some 305 g2 ultras this summer. I am more worried about half shafts then the trans. Street driving it should all hold together fine.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
It is NOT the twin disc clutch.
Part of the problem is the stiff clutch along with the light flywheel. The light flywheel allows the car to rev quickly. But, the down side is that all of a sudden with the stiff, quick engaging ceramic clutch there is no softening in the clutch springs. You are "on" or "off". Not fun.
That is a terrible combination and that clutch is not necessary. Change the flywheel and clutch kit with something more realistic for the street.
It is NOT the tune.
Look for a bit higher hp clutch kit than stock with organic clutch material and reasonable clamping pressure plate along with and Iron flywheel which allows for normal driving and you will LOVE your Mustang again.
Likely why the previous owner sold it.
Yep, that's the answer. A McLeod RST twin organic disk street clutch will do very well and hold 800 hp. The flywheel might be ok, if you can get used to the quick revving.
Sponsored