Sponsored

Whipple TB/MAF tube/Inlet Suggestions

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Anyone have any good solutions to ditch the supplied MAF to TB Tube on the Whipple kits pictured here?

Been super happy with the setup for 2 years now, but always hated the supplied stock TB reduction tube and boots/clamps that came with the setup, although they work just fine. Just want to clean it up some. The stage 2, and 2018+ kits have a very nice rubber boot.

intake1.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20210323_215119.jpg

My Solution

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
You could build something custom. I have used this place in the past multiple times. Quality is great and tons of selections and taps available.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could build something custom. I have used this place in the past multiple times. Quality is great and tons of selections and taps available.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
That's actually exactly what I did :)

The post above, is the SIS elbow/UPR PCV tap fitting. Worked out great!

I have used SIS for many parts over the years, good stuff for sure!

Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Great minds think alike ;)

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what coupler did you buy
It's a mix of parts. Tube is Silicone Intakes part#BRE000010, Clamps#CLA000383+310. Breather Tube fitting is UPR Products part#H5032. You'll also need a TB adapter ring to fit the silicone elbow, I used a Spectre Filter off the shelf at the local O'Reilly's (bought the whole filter for the adpater ring kit), Part#8162. About $100 in the whole setup.

Why not go with the big TB and intake? I think it not only looks way better but makes more power
Oh for sure, I have always loved how the STAGE 2 kit had a better flowing TB/air inlet tube setup. I'm perfectly happy with the stage 1 kit though as far as HP/E.T. go. Car has been a solid low 11 sec setup on street tires for 2 years now, really not looking to change anything. But, some days I do wish I had went stage 2!

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
how stiff is the elbow and any concerns with it collapsing under vacuum as the charger demands more air? Would be interesting to put a camera underhood on a wot pull to see if it deforms at all. From what i recall the silicone parts they sell are thick and very strong.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how stiff is the elbow and any concerns with it collapsing under vacuum as the charger demands more air? Would be interesting to put a camera underhood on a wot pull to see if it deforms at all. From what i recall the silicone parts they sell are thick and very strong.
Absolutely, that was one of my 1st fears as well! I have previously used a larger SIS elbow on a Turbo build, and indeed it sucked shut on a quick throttle snap, causing a stumble/delay until the the boot recovered/cold side started to see a pressure increase from turbo spool. It was easily rectified, so I was certainly apprehensive about this elbow as well.

However, it appears with such a short run, not a 90 deg bend, having such a large MAF tube/air filter, and being coupled to such a small TB, that it doesn't affect it. I still need to stick a camera under hood to verify, but the dragy runs so far have proven the car to be the exact same as pre-intake tube modification. So, I reason that it most likely isn't doing anything odd, but will double check to be sure.

It is very thick, even if you try and pinch it down with your hand, due to the shortness and angle, you cannot pinch it shut much at all, and I highly doubt there is that much pressure differential between the TB inlet and air filter on the stage 1 kit, which uses the stage 2 maf tube/filter anyhow (rather large).
Sponsored