Sponsored

Whipple + HD clutch + stock MT-82 durability for street car?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I wonder what the final gear ratio for the calimer stage 3 mt-82 is. I don't want short gears with a whipple, I prefer the tall 3.15's
Are you thinking your 3.15s will change or am I reading this wrong? They certainly will not as they are your rear-end gears and nothing to do with the transmission. The calimer stage 3 has a smidge taller gears compared to stock:

1644421100921.png

1644420983939.png
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
According to McLeod, I was over extending the slave....by a lot. Even though the clutch setup was supposed to be 'plug 'n play' it most certainly was not. I always thought the clutch engagement felt off from the beginning. McLeod thought I might have had some air in the system. I tried to bleed the system every way possible, but nothing helped.

I will say, McLeod was great to work with. They really wanted to help me out and get my setup working. They had me take a bunch of measurements and made me a shim to put behind the slave to get it in the right spot. McLeod said they had a few other guys with the same issue I was having. It's possible maybe Tremec changed something with the gear box and the slave mounting point changed. Not sure... I have everything ready to go back in the car, just waiting on some warmer weather!
Cool! Any chance that you can document the install for those of us, who will eventually have to pull the tranny?

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 & 2021 C8 Z51
Sorry I haven't figured out the whole gear thing between rear and trans, lol.

Anyhow, are the any other options besides Calimer and Tremec Magnum XL?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
My car isn’t making the power yours is but here is my experience.
I have a 17 GT. 611 WHP.

IT’s been boosted for 15,000 miles. 30,000 total miles on car.

I don’t track it but I have launched it on the street multiple times. LOTS of roll racing. A good bit of high paced mtn runs. I use all of the power often.
Other than some trouble going into 5th gear at 7700 rpm the trans hasn't missed a beat. I am still on the stock clutch. Even with your more aggressive clutch I don’t think you will have issues based on how you plan to use it.

I dont daily the car but I do drive it in the winter. For that reason I went with Michelin AS3+. They do a good job putting the power down. Of course if you floor it in first gear they will spin from a stop but I def think they are better than PS4S in cool temps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP2, 2003 SVT Cobra, 1940 Ford Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
According to McLeod, I was over extending the slave....by a lot. Even though the clutch setup was supposed to be 'plug 'n play' it most certainly was not. I always thought the clutch engagement felt off from the beginning. McLeod thought I might have had some air in the system. I tried to bleed the system every way possible, but nothing helped.

I will say, McLeod was great to work with. They really wanted to help me out and get my setup working. They had me take a bunch of measurements and made me a shim to put behind the slave to get it in the right spot. McLeod said they had a few other guys with the same issue I was having. It's possible maybe Tremec changed something with the gear box and the slave mounting point changed. Not sure... I have everything ready to go back in the car, just waiting on some warmer weather!
Been there. My son's friend came over to show us the new mods on his car, I wanted to know how his new clutch felt so I sat in it and pressed the clutch pedal once...... and it went straight to the floor and stayed there. His stock and remanufactured slave (he thought it was upgraded and new) ruptured. I felt bad so gave him some decent coin to help with replacement but lesson learned, no driving other people's vehicles. I'll ride, but not drive.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
I was going to go with Nitto 555 R2 DR’s out back, but I decided on PS4S to hopefully save the trans.

I would have no problem banging the 1-2 gears, like I’ve done in all the other standards I’ve driven, but like you said, I’ll get zero traction so it will be pointless.

On the other hand if I go with a really sticky tire, I figured it wouldn’t be long before I grenade the trans.

So I figured the compromise is a good quality street tire (PS4S) that will have enough spin to not shock he trans too much, but also have enough grip to not be like I’m driving on ice.

What I wasn’t sure about was if even on PS4S, with the HD1200 clutch, if I’d still likely break the transmission. But it sounds like a lot of it comes down to chance.

Thing is, I just hate the feeling of driving around knowing I have a weak link that might break at any time. Was considering a Calimer stage 3 Mt-82, but it’s probably like $5k all said and done with install and tax. Hate to spend that money if it might not even be needed on a car only driven 3k miles so far.

Looking forward to hopefully getting more feedback.
Imo, if you don’t abuse the shift, you should be fine. Don’t run street tires, that is a poor choice and unsafe. I am running the rxt clutch, DRs at higher power levels without issue. My car is a street car as well. Just bought nitto 555r2 to replace the MT as they wore out. The suspension mods are a must to keep wheel hop and unwanted flex at bay. Unless you like breaking traction at 60+ mph, skip the ps4s.

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 & 2021 C8 Z51
Imo, if you don’t abuse the shift, you should be fine. Don’t run street tires, that is a poor choice and unsafe. I am running the rxt clutch, DRs at higher power levels without issue. My car is a street car as well. Just bought nitto 555r2 to replace the MT as they wore out. The suspension mods are a must to keep wheel hop and unwanted flex at bay. Unless you like breaking traction at 60+ mph, skip the ps4s.
Yes, I wound up going with 305/35/20 555R2's, and I've been very happy with them. They hook great relatively speaking.

Also, I have not installed any of the suspension parts I purchased. I wanted to first see how it was without them and to be honest there is no problems. I don't notice any wheel hop, at least not yet.

The car is a non-PP GT so maybe the more compliant suspension along with the 555R2's prevents the wheel hop? I might leave it just as is, as it's a nice mix of comfort and handling.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
That is a good start. Personally running higher power (850-900hp), I like all the parts available to take the flex out. The steeda stop the hop was a big improvement followed by other items mentioned in the thread. The more parts I added, the more stable the car felt. Also, a good shifter helps too.
Sponsored