Sponsored

whipple guys...Open air box v.s closed

Brumdog24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550
What are you all running? My kit came with the closed box but i see alot of people running open.

Open guys are you seeing any difference in Air intake temps having it exposed to engine heat?

Noob here just asking questions before i get this bad boy installed
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I tried without while testing trying to get more whine sound from the compressor into the cabin. And while it does increase the whine of the twin screw ever so slightly it also raises the temp of the incoming air. My IAT 1 would rise much faster in stop and go traffic and would reach 155 F very fast, this is not a good thing of course becuase it reduce power if you where to get on it. Of course it's proven that a cold air kit or cool air charge from the front of the engine makes more power so then without a doubt taking the lid off will have a negative affect sucking hot air from the engine bay.

Last edited:

moates88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6 speed
I have mine open, but I also have a ram air hood so I get the cooler outside air in my engine when at speed. Yes temp increases in stop and go but who cares at that point us I have dual upgraded fans

OP
OP

Brumdog24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550
yeah i went with the dual upgraded fans as well, i figured it would be strictly cosmetic preference at this point. Car isnt daily driven. Are you guys just taking the top lid off or is there another kit for these. I see in some pictures the intake configuration looks different than whats supplied. I could be wrong though

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
From what I know, the open air ones that come that way are the 'Competition' kits from Whipple and don't fall into the 'legally certified' ones for smog purposes. When you buy the kits that are, it comes with the lid but some choose not to run it. I've tried both ways but left mine on to keep the intake temps down however much that is.

Sponsored

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
From what I understand the closed air box is the Carb approved kit with the Whipple flare tool. The open air box comes with the tuner kit where you have someone like Lund provide the tune and it is not Carb or emissions legal.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I am no expert by any means.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have open and flare tool.

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I am still trying to figure out how much benefit the fans have. I did not order them. Just did not want the noise to be honest. I have a closed airbox, and IAT is normally 30-34max above ambient when not moving. Never passes that. What are you fan guys seeing above ambient with or without the cover?

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
If you are talking about the dash gage which is only reading IAT1 mine stays around 10F above ambient when moving with fans and open box. Have seen it get about 40F over ambient sitting in hot traffic but drops fast as soon I started moving. Hot south LA heat...

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
If you are talking about the dash gage which is only reading IAT1 mine stays around 10F above ambient when moving with fans and open box. Have seen it get about 40F over ambient sitting in hot traffic but drops fast as soon I started moving. Hot south LA heat...
Yeah, hottest I have had since this setup was 96 out, and my IAT read 34 above when stopped. Once moving, it comes right down. I am guessing maybe it comes down faster with the fans although mine does not take too long.

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
All complete kits that come with the closed air box, all competition or "Tuner" kits get the open air box... for now. Once they run out of the current stock of open air boxes, every kit leaving their facility will get a closed air box.

With that said, some complete kits did make it out with an open air box but I'm not sure they keep their CARB approval in that configuration.
Sponsored