Sponsored

Whipple 10 rib belts breaking

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
Hi all,

I'm running whipple gen3 10 rib with 20 percent od pulley. I have the upgraded whipple tensioner with the whipple engraving on it. My car just hit 14k miles and today i broke my 5th belt.

Anyone have any idea why i keep snapping belts? Anything i should check?

Is whipple the only place to get these belts at 120 bucks a pop?
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You can buy some 12 rib belts and cut them down. Don’t have the part number handy

Generally the problem is too much tension, which results in pulling the alternator forward causing misalignment. Palm beach dyno sells a bracket thing that mounts to your motor mount and keeps the alternator from flexing under load.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can buy some 12 rib belts and cut them down. Don’t have the part number handy

Generally the problem is too much tension, which results in pulling the alternator forward causing misalignment. Palm beach dyno sells a bracket thing that mounts to your motor mount and keeps the alternator from flexing under load.

I'll look into this.

Has anyone seen real world gains from getting this?

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Are you running the Gates RPM belt? They seem to break more often. I’ve broken one myself although I’m 6-rib. I can’t imagine breaking a 10 rib if you have it tensioned correctly. I went back to the gates green belts after the rpm broke. You can check their size chart to get part #s and order the belt anywhere online. I get them at CARID or whoever has them cheapest and in stock. The RPM has to be tensioned differently than the green.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Gates Part Number k121039HD is a green 12 rib belt for around $30 ( just looked it up to make sure in reference to my last post.) I think they come in 101.5 or 107.5

also look at fleetrunner belts 101015HD it 102.125

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Gates has 10rib in the RPM and Green Fleet runners. Personally, I'll be sticking to the green belts for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you running the Gates RPM belt? They seem to break more often. I’ve broken one myself although I’m 6-rib. I can’t imagine breaking a 10 rib if you have it tensioned correctly. I went back to the gates green belts after the rpm broke. You can check their size chart to get part #s and order the belt anywhere online. I get them at CARID or whoever has them cheapest and in stock. The RPM has to be tensioned differently than the green.
At this point I'm exploring options; so fed up want to give up.

Any pointers on how to KNOW if its tensioned properly? My tensioner goes left to right. I have it set "about" 3/4 up. I don't have go pro video or anything of what is happening in there, maybe its alternator flex, maybe its tension, not sure. All I know is I have 14,000 miles on my car since 2015 because I have spent better part of 2 years upgrading/fixing things. Now I'm trying to refine it so it just works and works reliably.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gates has 10rib in the RPM and Green Fleet runners. Personally, I'll be sticking to the green belts for the foreseeable future.
Thanks! Any guidance where to buy these, and what size I need? I'm a very good wrencher; not a mechanic, so any help is appreciated. I think these things are crazy $125 each and they keep breaking.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled

Any pointers on how to KNOW if its tensioned properly? My tensioner goes left to right. I have it set "about" 3/4 up. I don't have go pro video or anything of what is happening in there, maybe its alternator flex, maybe its tension, not sure. All I know is I have 14,000 miles on my car since 2015 because I have spent better part of 2 years upgrading/fixing things. Now I'm trying to refine it so it just works and works reliably.
If you are using the RPM belt then you have the tensioner set too tight. you want 40%ish percent of tensioner travel. I didn't know about this which is why I broke my rpm belt. If it's the green belt then it's set correctly.

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6

Gates makes a tension gauge for this purpose. Green 10 rib belts are your friend. Local truck shops stock mine at $60 a pop.
Sponsored