Which Winter Tires are you Buying?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by derieuz, Jun 26, 2014.

?

Winter Tires for S550

1. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R / R2

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 / Xi2

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Dunlop Winter Maxx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Continental ExtremeWinterContact

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Nokian WRG3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip Ice WRT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. General Altimax Arctic

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  10. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D/3D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Bridgeston Blizzak LM-60

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  12. Pirelli Winter Scottozero 3

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Falken Eurowinter HS449

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  15. Other (Post if you can)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. derieuz

derieuz The Young Fella'

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    So for those of you who are going to buy winter tires and drive your Mustang all year around, which winter tires are you going to purchase? Aside from protecting and sealing the paint properly, properly cleaning the car and getting that nasty salt off, which tires will you fellow future s550 mustang owners be choosing to secure your ride to the road?

For me, I am on the fence about the Michelin X-Ice X-i3's, I am willing to dish out any amount of money if it means my car will not slide if I drive safe.

I am sure this will be a useful post for anyone planning to drive the car in the winter, I will be updating this thread with the offsets of the wheels for each package once the data becomes available for future winter-tire / rim combination pickings.

edit: Offsets for PP Wheels:

2. GTTK

GTTK Member

0   0   0
    I've ran a winter on the Michelin X-Ice X-i3s in my 5.0 (all 4). The snow traction is amazing. However these are not sporty at all, prepare for your sports car to handle like an SUV. Next winter I plan to get a beater (I've found that traction is not your only problem during the winter) but if I had to do it again I would get some actual winter sports tires.

3. Grimace427

Grimace427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    0   0   0
    Summer tires all year round for me.

[​IMG]

4. GTTK

GTTK Member

0   0   0
    I don't know what you're running but the factory Pirellis couldn't deal with even this much snow.

Whereas with the X-Ice3 I could go up hill no problem. It's not very clear from this photo but the driveway is pretty steep.

[​IMG]

But like I said, while doable, I don't recommend driving your 5.0 in the winter, it's just too much stress.

5. GNS

GNS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    car
    0   0   0
    Why is it too much stress? Genuine question...

Too much power to the rear wheels? Wouldn't gentle application of the throttle help?

6. GTTK

GTTK Member

0   0   0
    Yes, way too much torque. You can find yourself in a situation where if you apply a little gas, the tires will just slowly spin in place; you could give it a lot of gas and brute force your way out, however you risk some fishtailing (you've already turned off traction control, cause it limits you to 1000rpm); now if you have room around you that wouldn't be a problem, but what if there is a wall or another car right next to you? So you have to be super careful all the time to avoid getting stuck and find yourself in such a situation. It's very easy to get careless when 99% of your route is clear and just when you are almost at your destination and there is just one spot with deeper snow and you need to go right through or you will get stuck - and right then another car shows up and forces you to stop exactly at the wrong spot. Not to mention that no matter how careful you are you can get surprised by unbelievably stupid things your fellow drivers around you might do. And then imagine you just finished a 12h work day and you just want to get home and have no energy to deal with all this crap.

Now all this applies to the current 5.0 with the live axle. The IRS 2015 might behave better, I have no idea. I guess nobody does.

Sorry for the rant :) but next winter I'm getting a cheap AWD beater.

RB16STANG likes this.
  7. sublime5oh

sublime5oh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    I ran Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip Ice WRT this past winter in my 3.7, I never had an issue with them.

[​IMG]

8. GNS

GNS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    car
    0   0   0

I am seriously hoping that I can find a workaround or deal with it, because I only have one car and it has to be a DD year round. If the 2015 Mustang absolutely cannot do winter duty without feeling like it is trying to kill me, then I will have to give up on the dream...and I don't want to do that unless I have no choice.

9. OP
    OP
    derieuz

derieuz The Young Fella'

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    In one of the Ford articles, they write that the new mustang should be able to dominate the winter season now. Also remember they have the special winter/wet driving mode.

10. GTTK

GTTK Member

0   0   0
    The problem won't be your Mustang trying to kill you, but you biting your nails to avoid scratching your brand new $40K car.

Think of the $1-2K beater as an accessory to your $40K 5.0. You will need a lot of dedication to maintain your new car pristine if you want to daily it all year round in all kinds of weather and driving conditions.

11. GNS

GNS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    car
    0   0   0

Do you have a link to this article?

12. Nitro

Nitro Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GTPP
    0   0   0
    I had x-ice on my Miata and extremewintercontacts on my FR-S. They were both really good but I think I liked the continentals slightly better.

Of course, I'm not sure if I'm getting the PP yet. If I can get a reasonable price on a wheel/tire combo to fit over those huge breaks, I probable wont care about the brand. More than likely I won't get the PP because of the price of a winter setup for it.

13. GTTK

GTTK Member

0   0   0
    Could be much better than the S197. But like I said getting stuck in snow is just one of the possible problems that come with winter driving. You can have godlike traction and still get hit by a clueless driver. I'll never forget one time I was driving home in a snowstorm (in an AWD minivan), driving straight and nice and slow on the highway, along with a few other cars, when suddenly one of them spun around and stopped, a FWD (!) car going slow and straight (!!!). Now that took some skill. I was two lanes away and anyway nobody hit her but still. Little accidents like this happened every few minutes, without exaggeration.

14. GNS

GNS Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    car
    0   0   0
    It's not the price of a winter setup which kills the PP for me, as I'd always put winter tires on their own set of wheels (steel wheels or something) and never on the OEM wheels. It's the summer setup which I dislike, I want a square setup so I can rotate the wheels and get more life out of the tires and I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for practicality.

15. deeps29

deeps29 Bizarre Edition!

Vehicle(s):
    none
    0   0   0

That's where new Mustang's Snow/Winter mode should help. ESP will control the wheel slip and can supply extra power to the wheel with more traction.