Sponsored

Which surfaces on GT500 are at most risk for chips?

70SR2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2021 Rapid Red GT500
Starting to think about scope of PPF for my GT500 when it arrives hopefully in June. I'm not interested in covering the whole car. Which areas are at the most risk for chips? Front and rear quarter panels? Front edge of hood? Front fascia? Anything else?
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Rear quarter panels, just aft of the door opening where it flares out for sure, as that area on my lowly GT is peppered the most with very tiny chips.

Front fascia would be a given.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Entire front clip, roof line, A-Pillars, bottom of the doors, rear fenders (Even if you get rock guards AT LEAST do behind the rear wheels), and the glossy decklid (that thing scratches up SUPER easily)

Basically everything EXCEPT trunk, full roof rear bunper, and full doors.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The entire front clip and the front of the rear quarter panels before the wheel well. The roof can also be a hot spot.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Same as with any other car: Front bumper cover, front splitter, entire hood, mirrors, behind front tires, in front of and behind rear tires.

I had the entire front end including splitter and bumper cover, the whole hood and both front fenders, side mirrors, rear quarter panel/rocker panel in front of the rear tire (the lower painted segment up to the seam), the lower half of of the rear quarter panel behind the rear tire, and the rear edges of the doors covered in XPEL PPF on my '21 ZL1.

The lower quarter panel/fender flare piece in front of the rear tire goes up higher on the ZL1 than the GT500, so if I had a GT500 I'd go above the seam and live with a line to reduce the rock chips at knee level in front of the rear tires.

I almost didn't do PPF, but I am certainly glad I did. I was so paranoid driving it, worrying about rock chips. I brought it in to have PPF put on with 170 miles, never on a highway, and always following very far behind other cars. No rock chips at that point, so I'm glad I did it when I did. Highly recommend putting PPF right away so they don't have to fix rock chips first.

Last edited:

TBLGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST and 22 GT500
I have PPF in places, but nothing down low aft of the front fenders. I have no chips down there after 2000 miles... I highly recommend these!

do the clips on this mess with the ppf on the fenders at all? I have the ZL 1 add ons on my 350 and the 2 sided tape keeps coming unstuck. I just ordered these rock guards you have to try. My full fenders, hood, front bumper, and headlights have ppf. It’s going back next week to add the rear quarter section behind the tires since I’m noticing rock chips there.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Same as with any other car: Front bumper cover, front splitter, entire hood, mirrors, behind front tires, in front of and behind rear tires.

I had the entire front end including splitter and bumper cover, the whole hood and both front fenders, side mirrors, rear quarter panel/rocker panel in front of the rear tire (the lower painted segment up to the seam), the lower half of of the rear quarter panel behind the rear tire, and the rear edges of the doors covered in XPEL PPF on my '21 ZL1.

The lower quarter panel/fender flare piece in front of the rear tire goes up higher on the ZL1 than the GT500, so if I had a GT500 I'd go above the seam and live with a line to reduce the rock chips at knee level in front of the rear tires.

I almost didn't do PPF, but I am certainly glad I did. I was so paranoid driving it, worrying about rock chips. I brought it in to have PPF put on with 170 miles, never on a highway, and always following very far behind other cars. No rock chips at that point, so I'm glad I did it when I did. Highly recommend putting PPF right away so they don't have to fix rock chips first.
Just updating my previous post about recommended locations for PPF. I'm assuming the GT500 is similar to my ZL1 since both cars have fenders that bulge out behind the door in front of the rear tire. I've started to notice a few very small rock chips on the area circled in the pic below in red that I didn't have covered with PPF. You can't see them from more than a few feet away, but up close you can see a couple of tiny chips on both sides of the car. The area in green has XPEL PPF and is OK. I'm most likely going to have XPEL PPF put over that area in red because if I'm already seeing a few small chips after 500 miles, what will it look like at 10k or 20k miles? There will be a PPF line, but I'd rather have a faint line than continue to gather rock chips that are easily avoidable with PPF.

1618596337498.png

Last edited:

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
You might be surprised, but these cars don't get a ton of rocks on the rear quarters. The extension under the side skirts near the front tires is there for a reason. It protects the rear quarters. I have the front, hood, and fenders with ppf and that's it.

Kingkong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Hellcat Charger
My father always taught me “do it once, do it right” lolll. Honestly I would PPF the whole car, never know what comes flying on your car (door dings, bird shit etc)

GT500, ZLE, Hellcat, all full PPF. I can’t imagine just doing part of the car.
Sponsored