Which surfaces on GT500 are at most risk for chips?

70SR2

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302
Starting to think about scope of PPF for my GT500 when it arrives hopefully in June. I'm not interested in covering the whole car. Which areas are at the most risk for chips? Front and rear quarter panels? Front edge of hood? Front fascia? Anything else?

Advertisement

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
Rear quarter panels, just aft of the door opening where it flares out for sure, as that area on my lowly GT is peppered the most with very tiny chips.

Front fascia would be a given.

Schwerin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Entire front clip, roof line, A-Pillars, bottom of the doors, rear fenders (Even if you get rock guards AT LEAST do behind the rear wheels), and the glossy decklid (that thing scratches up SUPER easily)

Basically everything EXCEPT trunk, full roof rear bunper, and full doors.

likeaboss

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The entire front clip and the front of the rear quarter panels before the wheel well. The roof can also be a hot spot.

Goose17

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I have PPF in places, but nothing down low aft of the front fenders. I have no chips down there after 2000 miles... I highly recommend these!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Same as with any other car: Front bumper cover, front splitter, entire hood, mirrors, behind front tires, in front of and behind rear tires.

I had the entire front end including splitter and bumper cover, the whole hood and both front fenders, side mirrors, rear quarter panel/rocker panel in front of the rear tire (the lower painted segment up to the seam), the lower half of of the rear quarter panel behind the rear tire, and the rear edges of the doors covered in XPEL PPF on my '21 ZL1.

The lower quarter panel/fender flare piece in front of the rear tire goes up higher on the ZL1 than the GT500, so if I had a GT500 I'd go above the seam and live with a line to reduce the rock chips at knee level in front of the rear tires.

I almost didn't do PPF, but I am certainly glad I did. I was so paranoid driving it, worrying about rock chips. I brought it in to have PPF put on with 170 miles, never on a highway, and always following very far behind other cars. No rock chips at that point, so I'm glad I did it when I did. Highly recommend putting PPF right away so they don't have to fix rock chips first.

Last edited:

Advertisement

104 - Cervini's Auto Designs - 1

Advertisement