Sponsored

Which shifter…? MGW or Steeda

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Clutch helper spring- ✅
Next up, Stock shifter definitely has to go….
MGW race spec or Steeda Race shifter, and why? What about a steel braided clutch line? Worth doing it?

spirited driving and road course happens
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have the Steeda Tri-ax Race Shifter in mine with the stiffer springs. I also have the clutch spring, stainless braided clutch line, Whiteline trans bushing insert and Steeda adjustable motor mounts. I like the shifter a lot, but I do still get the 3rd gear nibble; even when driving normal and shifting slow. You can look at the Steeda shifter and see that it’s far superior to the factory shifter.

F68A8F42-F4B8-420A-A5DE-55ED4ADE9387.jpeg

0A388AD3-2E03-4934-AFAC-D651BA65CB6E.jpeg

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
i love my mgw one of my fav things i have done to my car, but anything i think is better than the stock haha

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Those two shifters are not even in the same league. MGW by a mile.

Look how the the Tri-Ax mounts and then how they add stiffer bushings to the shifter chassis mount. How is that supposed to be better than stock? Good quality machining but the mounting is identical to the stock.

MGW will direct mount to the transmission, meaning your shifter will always be in alignment and give you crisp bolt-action like shifts. That's not even mentioning how much better of a material finish they have (Steeda is raw aluminum). Also MGW installation is far easier than Steeda, since it's a 3 piece design.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Those two shifters are not even in the same league. MGW by a mile.

Look how the the Tri-Ax mounts and then how they add stiffer bushings to the shifter chassis mount. How is that supposed to be better than stock? Good quality machining but the mounting is identical to the stock.

MGW will direct mount to the transmission, meaning your shifter will always be in alignment and give you crisp bolt-action like shifts. That's not even mentioning how much better of a material finish they have (Steeda is raw aluminum). Also MGW installation is far easier than Steeda, since it's a 3 piece design.
I’m not sure what the install time is on the MGW and Barton, but the Steeda shifter took about 4 hours. I removed my DS and exhaust beforehand, to avoid fighting with it and to make sure I could torque all bolts instead of just getting them Goodentite. Here are all three shifters for close comparison.

81392E68-48F2-45EB-B2A8-4ED48476590B.png

60C3D0F4-1B3C-483F-B792-D451025BDE0B.png

48199C73-EA68-463F-919A-9C15B57249F3.png

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I’m not sure what the install time is on the MGW and Barton, but the Steeda shifter took about 4 hours. I removed my DS and exhaust beforehand, to avoid fighting with it and to make sure I could torque all bolts instead of just getting them Goodentite. Here are all three shifters for close comparison.
About 2 hours for MGW but less if you've done it before.

No need to remove the driveshaft on the MGW....just lower the transmission a bit by removing the transmission mount. It consists of three pieces and is able to slip around the driveshaft as a result. Hardest part is removing the stock shifter, it has to be dissembled while still attached to the car....then it can be removed piece by piece. Also yes I tightened everything "Goodentite" with blue Loctite and upon removal not a single bolt had loosened a bit over the 14,000 miles I had it in.

I installed the MGW and then when I sold my car, took it back out and reinstalled the stock shifter.... The driveshaft removal and reinstallation was the biggest pain of the whole job. The fact that you don't have to touch the driveshaft makes MGW worth it for this alone.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
mgw was def one of if not my favorite mod to this car. and forsure do a braided clutch line. i went with mcleod i think but they are all pretty similar looking.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I have the barton transmounted. Side to side movement is more than the MGW but my shifter does rattle (even with bartons higher quality shifter collar) on the highway due to the excessive vibrations. I'd go for either a flatstick barton or MGW just because of the noise that comes out of the regular hybrid 3.

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
Trans mounted MGW for the win. Super crisp, precise shifts, no lockout even at high rpm/speed.
Sponsored