Sponsored

Which OPG's: Boundary, TSS or MMR?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
http://www.boundarypumps.com/materials
"Good billet steels like the one that Boundary uses approach 110,000 PSI in yield strength or around 18 times stronger then OEM sintered steel.

https://www.capitalsteel.net/news/blog/4130-vs-4140-steel-comparison
(4140 Normalized) Yield Strength 95,000 psi

appears that the 9310 steel is a bit stronger. Or at least has a higher Yield strength number :

http://www.twmetals.com/9310-bar-rod-wire.html
Yield Strength, psi 162,000

I am also interested in what the oil pump case looks like after running a billet gear for a few years.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i haven't seen a failure in any of the gears.

we had tss in our 2011 car and mmr is in our 2015 car.

boundary is newer to the market, so we haven't personally ran those.

we have sold alot of opgs, and i have yet to have a customer over the last 5 years call me with a broken mmr or tss product, or a boundary in the last year since we have been selling them, and i would venture to say since we sell more power adder kits than anyone for the coyote, we are at or near the top of the list on opgs / sprockets as well.

pick your poison, thats why we offer the combos with whatever options you choose.

we also have a nice package with the balancers as well if your looking for a balancer in the mix

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/tbr-opg-combo-11-17mustang.html

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Well looking at it from a materials stand point, I am not sure I could declare a winner. The first two numbers are the class of steel. 41 is straight chromoly and is pretty loose on the percentage chromium and molybdenum 93 is chromoly with some nickle in it, with more precise percentages of chromium and molybdenum. So that would explain the corrosion resistance. Here is were it gets interesting. The last two numbers refer to the percent carbon in the steel. The higher that percent usually the harder the steel is. So you have 4140 vs 9310. So the 4140 is probably hard, but that also comes with caviat of being less ductile. Kind of why we want to go away from powdered metal, but at a much higher thresh hold. 9310 has a known percentage of chromium and molybdenum along with nickle for corrosion resistance, and it has a lower carbon content making it less hard but more ductile. The question then becomes yield strength, which was posted above. So if it is ductile but has a high yeild strength it can retain its shape while allowing deformation instead of breaking. Both metals start to see material property changes in the 1000F-1100F range with 9310 having scuffing effects as the nickle distilates to the surface. Which hopefully is not anything close to being seen in a car engine. So that is my 2 cents. In the end they both will probably be just fine if kept in a good oil bath.

Sponsored

diablomatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550 gt procharged,2012 GT F1X Procharged
Well looking at it from a materials stand point, I am not sure I could declare a winner. The first two numbers are the class of steel. 41 is straight chromoly and is pretty loose on the percentage chromium and molybdenum 93 is chromoly with some nickle in it, with more precise percentages of chromium and molybdenum. So that would explain the corrosion resistance. Here is were it gets interesting. The last two numbers refer to the percent carbon in the steel. The higher that percent usually the harder the steel is. So you have 4140 vs 9310. So the 4140 is probably hard, but that also comes with caviat of being less ductile. Kind of why we want to go away from powdered metal, but at a much higher thresh hold. 9310 has a known percentage of chromium and molybdenum along with nickle for corrosion resistance, and it has a lower carbon content making it less hard but more ductile. The question then becomes yield strength, which was posted above. So if it is ductile but has a high yeild strength it can retain its shape while allowing deformation instead of breaking. Both metals start to see material property changes in the 1000F-1100F range with 9310 having scuffing effects as the nickle distilates to the surface. Which hopefully is not anything close to being seen in a car engine. So that is my 2 cents. In the end they both will probably be just fine if kept in a good oil bath.

correct... also found this:

http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Normalized-4140-Cr-Mo-Steel/Normalized-9310-Ni-Cr-Mo-Steel

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm going with boundary when I pull the trigger.
Sponsored