Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on the gt350 vs Gt500. Which do you think has brought more attention durning its introduction. I'm leaning more towards the gt350 since it has brought more "first" to the mustang history and platform.
Flat plane crank
High screaming RPM
Light weight trans
Dual clutch
Unique front end body work
Independent rear
Biggest OEM brakes
Mag shocks
Etc.
Just my thoughts.
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Having experienced the first Shelby Mustangs back in 2005 and 2006, I think the excitement is comparable, just for different reasons. The GT500, in particular back then, was highly sought after for its then massive 500hp.

The new GT350 breaks amazing technological ground in the current time. Just like back then, people went crazy and were paying above MSRP to get them quickly.

The new GT350 has a lot of attention because of that engine, just like the GT500, but the suspension development is definitely quite distinct. The missions of both vehicles are different but I see the excitement and passion to be similar.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Honestly I think they are equal.

One was a big HP, street dominator car with handling second. Now this iteration is a high revving NA, FPC with handling out the ass.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I think the revival of the GT500 in S197 form was probably more anticipated. I think it's easy to forget how big of a deal the retro-revival in '05 was. But as much I as a loved the GT500 revival, I'm personally much more excited about this GT350 due to it being NA.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
This is an interesting question. I had absolutely no interest in the GT500, because of the perception (right or wrong) that it was all brawn and no finesse - and I ordered a Corvette instead. This time, I ordered the GT 350 because it's a balanced, complete performance package, confirmed at my Track Tour experience. I likewise probably won't have any interest in a new GT500. Just my $.02...

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
This is an interesting question. I had absolutely no interest in the GT500, because of the perception (right or wrong) that it was all brawn and no finesse - and I ordered a Corvette instead. This time, I ordered the GT 350 because it's a balanced, complete performance package, confirmed at my Track Tour experience. I likewise probably won't have any interest in a new GT500. Just my $.02...
Same here.... no serious interest in the GT500 even when it was upgraded to 662hp. Even at that time I still lusted after and bought the Boss 302 instead of a GT500. I'd make the same decision again even now. Fast forward to today, the all new Shelby GT350 is even more exciting IMO. And as many of you know I do own a C7 Z06 which is a beast on the track in spite of the negativity. That car is also balanced very well, a great daily driver on & off the track, and a complete package albeit with an Achilles heel.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm leaning more towards the gt350 since it has brought more "first" to the mustang history and platform.
High screaming RPM........Boss 302 was a high-RPM boost over the GT @ 7,500rpm

Dual clutch.....................Twin-disc single clutch, not a dual clutch. The '13-14 GT500 also had a twin disc clutch.

Unique front end body work...GT500 also has unique bodywork.

Independent rear.................IRS first came to the regular Mustang, not the GT350

I agree with your other points though.

The '13-14 GT500 was a shock with its huge HP/TQ numbers and straight line performance as well as the first production Mustang capable of 200mph.

mrdci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, Raptor SCrew, '17 GT350R HR083, E39 Dinan M5
I say it had to have been the 07 500. Just based on the 25K initial ADM for them and it remained ADM until model year two. They hadnt made a Ford Shelby since 1970 so 30+ years of people waiting is hard to compare this car to that wait. I waited a year to get mine close to MSRP.

So we all know how long they made the 500 and how many times they changed them so those folks that paid that huge ADM don't really have anything to show for it now. I saw one for sale at 32K with around 300 miles on it and it was signed by Carol himself. None of these cars will ever have his signature.

Sure its been a long time since Ford sold a GT350 and this car is special. But we are already talking about MSRP or 5K or less for ADM so I think that shows what the anticipation really is all about. Now the 350R is probably as hyped as the 07 GT500 but not the base GT350 where the true bargain is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

The '13-14 GT500 was a shock with its huge HP/TQ numbers and straight line performance as well as the first production Mustang capable of 200mph.
I'm talking shelbys. Not boss or Cobras.
The gt350 has a 8250 rpm. Not 7500 rpm.

The gt500 did not have irs

The gt350 also has a counter wound rear coil spring

By dual clutch I meant dual disc

The gt500 may of had a different hood and bumper and grille, so does the gt350. But the gt500 did not have a different and unique...core support and fenders.

ronda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
1966 Shelby GT350
I ordered and owned a 07 GT500. At the time I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to own one because of the brute force the car had. Now I have ordered the GT350. I would have to say that I'm more excited about this car. It will be a far more capable car for the many reasons that have been discussed so far. And, oh the sound that flat plane makes! I can't wait!

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Independent rear.................IRS first came to the regular Mustang, not the GT350
2003-2004 Mustang Cobra had a terribly implemented IRS, but still, it was the first afaik.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I love any worthy NA cars, from any manufacturer. I've been a fan of all your usual supercars, GT3's, M3's(E92> and before), AMG 6.2L. Never cared for Shelby's in general because that's way before my time period.

With that said, in my eyes, the GT500 was nothing special. Supercharged power, turbocharged power, it's all the same lame game to me(My opinion).

To actually massage an engine, and push it to the max, and sing that sweet NA tune, that's what it's all about. So for me, the GT350 is all kinds of special and I've never wanted a car more and one that was attainable. GT500? Could be on Pluto for all I care.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The GT350 Program was kinda cloaked. The developement tailed the anniversary and everything was so secretive. The GT500 was a big deal because it opened up the 500HP barrier to the blue collar guys... plus the supercharged engine rode the coat tails of the Terminators popularity. The additional 0.8 liters was an anticipated welcome for us at the time.

Some of the secrecy surrounding the GT350 may have been because of the Motorsport Program. The Voodoo is a Chanpionship waiting to happen and it gives the teams running them huge advantage. Ford did the teams a solid by keeping quiet in my opinion...

We have almost $40,000 set aside for the next hype train. We have very serious intentions on buying a GT500 (MrsPill and I). I am looking to buy a 2nd year GT500KR and am willing to spend about $75,000 overall.

MrsPill almost picked up her own 2016 Deep Impact Auto GT w/401a. I let her go and let her decide... I'm not opening my mouth... It's her money and it doesn't harm the GT500 fund.
Sponsored