Sponsored

Which oil catch can did you use?

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
LOL! No doubt, our systems will be CARB legal very soon. Our CARB application for entire lineup of separators is already in motion with the CARB board.
Do you have a rough estimate when you'll start shipping with an EO sticker?

AZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Sport, 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 2006 Toyota 4Runner, 2015 VW Golf TDI, 2002 Honda Civic LX
JLT for me. Seemed like the best all around can for a great price.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
When the can is mounted further away from the engine it allows the vapors to cool more as they travel to the can. This allows for better separation of the oil vapors from the air as they are filtered through.
Anyone else find this to be true? I've read around and can't find any other accounts of it.

Thanks

-Emt1581

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Information about this relating to cars is hard to find. However, there is much information about it in relation to aircraft. One problem with piston driven aircraft is the oil that streaks around cowlings and the underside of the aircraft. This generally happens when blow-by vapors from the crank case gets sucked out into the atmosphere through the breather tube. The oil in these vapors instantly condenses from the cool air at altitude and runs down the cowlings or belly of the aircraft.

Aircraft use air oil separators, but for a different reason. They want to return the oil back to the crankcase in order to avoid the problem with oil streaks. The separators use an additional line that returns the oil that it collects back to the crankcase. If the separators are located too far away from the heat of the engine, the air will condense as well and collect water along with the oil. This explains why the oil catch cans on our cars that are further away from the engine tend to collect water too.

This article explains much of this: https://generalaviationnews.com/2016/03/28/no-1-rule-about-an-air-oil-separator/

Granted, the temperature of the air that a piston driven aircraft encounters is much cooler than what our oil catch cans encounter. The question, I guess, would be how much cooler does the air/oil need to be in order to make a noticeable difference in helping the oil to condense? Regardless, this is the theory that is used by some of these manufacturers for placing the catch cans further away from the heat of the engine.

Sponsored

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you have a rough estimate when you'll start shipping with an EO sticker?

Our application is in with CARB on them now, we're playing the waiting game now. With any luck 4-6 weeks!

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Our application is in with CARB on them now, we're playing the waiting game now. With any luck 4-6 weeks!
Glad to see vendors seeking C.A.R.B. approval on products! :headbang:

It's a shame that vendors have to go through the process since C.A.R.B. is basically an extortion operation. All it does is provide more money for California to spend frivolously on "feel good" programs. They don't take into account that the costs incurred to get C.A.R.B. approval are passed on to the consumer.

Dailydragger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the JLT 3.0 currently, I tried the Ford Racing oil separator for a while but like the convenience of the the JLT more.

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This might seem like a dumb question but are there any issues with catch cans and road course track cars?

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Somewhat of a difficult task here so I figured I'd ask the forum....

What sponsor 1) Sells the JLT can AND Steeda clutch spring, 2) Is NOT in PA and 3) offers a discount code and free shipping over $100 or so?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on both but I can't find anyone that carries both items and fits the other criteria.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
This might seem like a dumb question but are there any issues with catch cans and road course track cars?
The reason I installed an oil catch can was because I planned on tracking my car on road courses. I've caught more oil during the last two road courses than I did for the 3,000 miles it was on the car without tracking it.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Somewhat of a difficult task here so I figured I'd ask the forum....

What sponsor 1) Sells the JLT can AND Steeda clutch spring, 2) Is NOT in PA and 3) offers a discount code and free shipping over $100 or so?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on both but I can't find anyone that carries both items and fits the other criteria.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Any ideas?

Thanks

-Emt1581

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
Is there any possible way for those of us who already ordered a JLT 3.0 to get the CARB sticker once everything is cleared?

Also, I'm amazed at how much oil I caught in just 200 miles... I feel like the can is gonna fill up well before 3k. Is this normal?!
Sponsored