Sponsored

Which oem style premium head unit to go with.

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
What's up guys. Trying to figure which head unit to go with. I have a base and can't stand the factory setup. I like the premium setup a lot. But seems like a lot of work to retrofit a oem system in the car. Which brings me to the toptom and moddiction units as my options. My question is which one is better and less of a headache? I would love to just install it and be done. Read through some threads seems like people are constantly having to do updates and that's something I would like to avoid. So which unit is for me? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to update or change any unit once you install. Just leave it and enjoy as is if it works fine for you out of the box.

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
So is there any reason to pay extra for the moddiction vs the toptom?

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
So is there any reason to pay extra for the moddiction vs the toptom?
Tomtop is more like a Sync2 theme Moddiction is more Sync3 theme. TBH they both kinda suck...(Moddiction being a little bit higher quality than TomTop though) If you have an Android phone go with an Android HU. You won't be disappointed (Which ever you prefer, Tesla, other 10" or 8" from eBay). Even if you have an Apple go with an Android HU. I found a way to run Apple Car Play on any Android HU or even Android Auto. :thumbsup:

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Tomtop is more like a Sync2 theme Moddiction is more Sync3 theme. TBH they both kinda suck...(Moddiction being a little bit higher quality than TomTop though) If you have an Android phone go with an Android HU. You won't be disappointed (Which ever you prefer, Tesla, other 10" or 8" from eBay). Even if you have an Apple go with an Android HU. I found a way to run Apple Car Play on any Android HU or even Android Auto. :thumbsup:
Thanks man. I'm honestly not even to worried about apple car play or anything. As long as I can sync my phone to it and use Bluetooth and play music and the nav works okay then I'm fine.

Sponsored

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man. I'm honestly not even to worried about apple car play or anything. As long as I can sync my phone to it and use Bluetooth and play music and the nav works okay then I'm fine.
Go with an Android HU (I don't know if you have a way to share Wifi with your phone or a mobile hotspot but it's pretty nice for app like Waze/Google Maps). I use Spotify and Waze. GPS is really nice on a big screen. Avoid the Tomtop for sure. Now, Moddiction I hear good and bad about it. One thing that sucks about Tomtop and Moddiction unit is that the maps are not up to date and no traffic info. Some Android HU cost as much as a Moddiction...

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Go with an Android HU (I don't know if you have a way to share Wifi with your phone or a mobile hotspot but it's pretty nice for app like Waze/Google Maps). I use Spotify and Waze. GPS is really nice on a big screen. Avoid the Tomtop for sure. Now, Moddiction I hear good and bad about it. One thing that sucks about Tomtop and Moddiction unit is that the maps are not up to date and no traffic info. Some Android HU cost as much as a Moddiction...
Any links on which units you would recommend?

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the 8" Android HU (Same size screen I believe as the Sync3). You will need to check this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86792

For another 8" Android HU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-20...ash=item2f028d9915:g:1ggAAOSwcj5ZQkt4&vxp=mtr

For the 10" Android HU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-A...566730?hash=item3d305f72ca:g:l6EAAOSwuLZY3ViF

For 10.4" Portrait Tesla Style 2nd gen (You can find some cheaper one on eBay or for that special model I can get you a price since I deal with this manufacturer for group buy): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-18-For...ash=item25d9d9c89b:g:dYEAAOSwCkZZUtGX&vxp=mtr

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
For the 8" Android HU (Same size screen I believe as the Sync3). You will need to check this thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86792

For another 8" Android HU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-20...ash=item2f028d9915:g:1ggAAOSwcj5ZQkt4&vxp=mtr

For the 10" Android HU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-A...566730?hash=item3d305f72ca:g:l6EAAOSwuLZY3ViF

For 10.4" Portrait Tesla Style 2nd gen (You can find some cheaper one on eBay or for that special model I can get you a price since I deal with this manufacturer for group buy): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-18-For...ash=item25d9d9c89b:g:dYEAAOSwCkZZUtGX&vxp=mtr
I want to like the tesla one more. I just worry about it controlling the ac aswell. Like if there were ever any issues and my ac didn't work. Have you ever had any issues with the tesla units? And could you pm me a price? I'm having to buy tires for my new wheels now but this will be one of the next things I do.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to like the tesla one more. I just worry about it controlling the ac aswell. Like if there were ever any issues and my ac didn't work. Have you ever had any issues with the tesla units? And could you pm me a price? I'm having to buy tires for my new wheels now but this will be one of the next things I do.
Even the if the HU is not completely booted you can control your HVAC. As for the price I believe someone else might be interested in as well... I can work something out with the manufacturer if you'd like it's around $600 last time it was $610. I can only make sure once I'm sure who wants one and is in. I might do another group buy if there's enough people. I need to get one for my Focus as well :D

Sponsored

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Even the if the HU is not completely booted you can control your HVAC. As for the price I believe someone else might be interested in as well... I can work something out with the manufacturer if you'd like it's around $600 last time it was $610. I can only make sure once I'm sure who wants one and is in. I might do another group buy if there's enough people. I need to get one for my Focus as well :D
I am kind of interested but would like to know the hardware specs of the Tesla Style 2nd gen HU

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Seems like the moddiction type unit and agrees with the OEM sink equipment better and
Less likely to have problems ??

The OEM reverse sensors and back up camera with right with the moddiction unit? And you are using the OEM A/C controls as well.

I to am looking for the best and nicest way to upgrade the 4'3 unit aa d be able o use the reverse camera and sensors.

Thanks

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
That's something I may be interested in. I am atleast month in a half to 2 months out from this purchase could purchase the toptom sooner just have to by tires and all before I spend that much on ahead unit. Just trying to do my homework. And someone else asked a good question can I retain my factory back up camera and steering wheel controls with these units?

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's something I may be interested in. I am atleast month in a half to 2 months out from this purchase could purchase the toptom sooner just have to by tires and all before I spend that much on ahead unit. Just trying to do my homework. And someone else asked a good question can I retain my factory back up camera and steering wheel controls with these units?
My bad I didn't see the questions :headbonk: Yes, you will keep your OEM backup camera and SWC. If you wanna see more videos about the HU and some project I've done with it here's my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rCR3lrngpptCa7SmcTzyw/videos

OP
OP

Gray8188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
My bad I didn't see the questions :headbonk: Yes, you will keep your OEM backup camera and SWC. If you wanna see more videos about the HU and some project I've done with it here's my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rCR3lrngpptCa7SmcTzyw/videos
Thanks man I'll check those out. And sorry for all the questions but is it really worth it for the tesla style over the toptom for the money? I could purchase the toptom in a week or so and really like the oem style. But if the tesla style really is better then I'm fine with waiting.
Sponsored