Sam977

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1
Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade from my stock brake pads on my ‘22 mustang GT pp1. This is my daily driver but I also track the car on HPDE events. I have 3 different track days coming up next month and want to find a pad that is useable on road and on the track(beginner track driver). I have been looking at the Hawk HP Plus pads (HB805N.615). Anyone have experience with these pads? Any recommendations? Also what engine oil should I use? Thanks!
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade from my stock brake pads on my ‘22 mustang GT pp1. This is my daily driver but I also track the car on HPDE events. I have 3 different track days coming up next month and want to find a pad that is useable on road and on the track(beginner track driver). I have been looking at the Hawk HP Plus pads (HB805N.615). Anyone have experience with these pads? Any recommendations? Also what engine oil should I use? Thanks!
For a beginner the stock pads are fine on track
As you go faster you will need a dedicated track pads and switch back to street pads for the street
I use Cobalt for the track

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
Hi guys,

I’ve been happy with my hawk HPS pads from my last 2 HPDE events!

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
My advice is same as @luc : you need two sets of pads.
1. Use your OEM pads for track days only. Measure and log their thickness before and after every track day. As you brake harder you may only get 3 days from a set.
2. Buy Powerstop Z23 pads for daily use. Your wheels will show the same brake dust in a month as track pads will in a day. These will change your life.

Rear PP1 OEM pads can be used on track, but Z23 pads in the rear will also dust less. I now swap all four wheels' pad for track days.

Once your OEM pads are used up, you can research what grade track pad you want to get.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For a beginner stock is fine. Maybe upgrade the brake fluid for a bit more safety, but again for a beginner who's only pushing 6/10ths at the most the braking system will not be a limitation.

Sponsored

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
13 track days over the past 2.5 years:

I use Powerstop Z26 with their drilled and slotted rotors for the street (cause they look cool)

Powerstop Track Day pads and OEM Ford rotors for the track (cause they won’t crack like drilled ones and are cheaper to replace)

I’ve used Hawk HP Plus in the past but couldn’t tell enough difference to justify the higher costs over the Powerstop…

Motul 600 RBF and bleed before each track event (just enough to ensure no air bubbles)

5W-30 motor oil all year round (although I’m contemplating going 5W-40 for summer track days).

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

HP+ pads chewed my rotors up faster than necessary. The suggestions by others to use OEM pads for a while are good. When you do go up, go Carbotech, G-Loc, or Hawk DTCs. Just don’t expect them to be pleasant on street as dual-purpose.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
0W-40
Or
5W-40
The stock 5w-30 is great for 7/10ths. As always check you oil after each track day, but until you get going really fast the stock is fine. Then upgrade to 5w-50, expensive, but worth the extra protection and heat compliance.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The stock 5w-30 is great for 7/10ths. As always check you oil after each track day, but until you get going really fast the stock is fine. Then upgrade to 5w-50, expensive, but worth the extra protection and heat compliance.
That’s debatable to no end.
I stand by 0W’s as the base stock is more robust than 5W’s

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
That’s debatable to no end.
I stand by 0W’s as the base stock is more robust than 5W’s
You're right this is debatable to no end. Honestly more of a question of where do you live and what types of temperatures do you see.

0W is better in the cold and on start ups. 5W is better in the higher heat (outside temp). 0W-50 and 5W-50 are interchangeable and both can be used in the coyotes. Honestly depends on what the OP is looking for as 0W is much more expensive :)

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Honestly more of a question of where do you live and what types of temperatures do you see.

0W is better in the cold and on start ups. 5W is better in the higher heat (outside temp). 0W-50 and 5W-50 are interchangeable and both can be used in the coyotes. Honestly depends on what the OP is looking for as 0W is much more expensive :)
Not really,
0W’s base contain a higher percentage of PAO’s
5W’s in all honestly is outdated. It’s still around because of the misconception 0W is to thin.

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Not really,
0W’s base contain a higher percentage of PAO’s
5W’s in all honestly is outdated. It’s still around because of the misconception 0W is to thin.
I'm not arguing that. 5W is most definitely not outdated though, 10W and up I would agree. The performance difference is marginally better for 0W between 0W and 5W at the top end of performance. Is it worth double the price to me? No. But in a few years we might see that price get lower as more cars start to use them.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm not arguing that. 5W is most definitely not outdated though, 10W and up I would agree. The performance difference is marginally better for 0W between 0W and 5W at the top end of performance. Is it worth double the price to me? No. But in a few years we might see that price get lower as more cars start to use them.
LOL
Wait, 00W just might be a thing…..
Sponsored