Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
BK081 to cut deflection.. Ford Performance toe link bearing / toe-links / adjustable camber arms to maintain properly spec'd alignment...

Coilovers vs traditional shock/struts is debated ALL the time.. If you know you'll enjoy the adjustment, damping and height vs just damping, then do coilovers.

Just realized I missed your text.. I was dynoing my car.. prepare for a text back :p
Sponsored

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
BK081 to cut deflection.. Ford Performance toe link bearing / toe-links / adjustable camber arms to maintain properly spec'd alignment...

Coilovers vs traditional shock/struts is debated ALL the time.. If you know you'll enjoy the adjustment, damping and height vs just damping, then do coilovers.

Just realized I missed your text.. I was dynoing my car.. prepare for a text back :p
thanks man! appreciate your suggestions, ive tried to follow the ones youve given so far lol. there are so many things i need/want to get, as you know, trying to figure out what order im going to get things (fuel system included lol)

i can see why it is debated all the time.

no worries! i saw it. how was the dyno?

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
so at this point ive read every thread on the forum that includes the word coilover, FRPP struts and shocks, BMR handling springs, Bilstein b6 and b16, pedders extreme, and suspension help. Im ultimately close to making a decision during this black Friday stuff (just waiting to hear on pricing on something first). my questions and reading has got me down to these options.. (ive also messaged brian about a consult before anyone recommends that, hes just a busy man and I overthink things, especially since I want to buy once cry once)

A) Bilstein b16 coilvers since they are on sale currently and seem like a good deal.
B) Ford performance Track struts and shocks with bmr handling springs (or Bilstein b6..honestly leaning Bilstein as ive heard they are arguably better and I am biased towards it anyways), with camber plates (looking at BMR)
C) The megan racing/Bilstein combo linked in this thread for sale by jpaulson.
D) One im not 100% sure on because I haven't seen a ton of reviews..but they are fairly cheap which worries me; pedders extreme plus coilovers.

I by no means want to go cheap on what I choose. I know budget coilovers are not a good idea which is why the b16 are at the top of my list. I also do not want to pay 3k + for this setup if I can avoid it.

thoughts? I know this topic is beat on like a dead horse, but I just want to make sure before I buy something and don't have to do it again at some point. Would the b16 be a good choice?

again to note, currently mostly a street car with some track. Eventually id like to do more track work though so id like something that is capable for it, and canyon carving..etc. Ride comfort is important..but not as important to me as handling characteristics.

I know there is the "well drive the car, what do you want to fix?" question brought up. But lets be honest, a 2018 mustang gt premium non performance pack is lacking suspension wise. Who doesn't want to make that better. I obviously don't know as much as a lot of people on this topic which is why I ask the question. I don't expect this car to feel the same as my honda s2000, but id like it to feel better in corners than it does currently.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Lets beat that dead horse. I mean, its dead already, what harm can we do?

A) Bilstein b16 coilvers since they are on sale currently and seem like a good deal.

So these PSS10 are a nice spring rate in the front (375), but kind of soft in the rear (500-750). Probably good for a street/occasional track setup. May be biased to understeer with those soft rear springs, but we don't really know anyone who's using them. Its not the normal rear spring rates we see front/rear on track and aggressive autox cars so that's the only strange sign. The front/rear bias is kind of like the Ohlins, but IIRC the Ohlins are stiffer all round.

I'd be curious if Bilstein is using standard spring sizes (i.e. if its easy to replace the springs later) which is one of the benefits of the good coilover setups. IIRC they're a bit low (1") at max height for what I'd want on my own daily/track car, but close enough. I've had PSS9s on another car and they were nice parts.

B) Ford performance Track struts and shocks with bmr handling springs (or Bilstein b6..honestly leaning Bilstein as ive heard they are arguably better and I am biased towards it anyways), with camber plates (looking at BMR)

Known good combo for street/occasional track, but no adjustability on either of those shocks. If you aren't the type to tinker with shock settings this is the easy option. Almost exactly matches a GT350R in spring rate, and nobody says those can't do well at the track. Softer spring rates than what I'd use or what serious track rats would use, but probably about as stiff as most street cars should want to go.

C) The megan racing/Bilstein combo linked in this thread for sale by jpaulson.

This is the most appealing option to me personally ('cause I'm cheap and trying to get a lot of performance on a budget). Its a one-off so IDK how the after-the-sale customer service experience will be for you. Spring rates will be very stiff for a daily driver, hopefully the good shocks tame them and make it livable, but this is well on the stiff side of the spectrum.

D) One im not 100% sure on because I haven't seen a ton of reviews..but they are fairly cheap which worries me; pedders extreme plus coilovers.

No opinion.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
hey everyone! so this is for a mostly DD car, street use..but probably some track use as well. Even as a DD, i dont mind if the ride gets more harsh (im used to a pretty harsh honda s2000)..i just prefer for the car to handle really well; on the street, canyons..etc.

so far my setup is as follows:

2018 mustang gt (non pp) premium
vmp odin kit with Lund racing tune
free flowing exhaust with roush catback (not super important but listing everything)
eibach pro-kit lowering springs and sway bars
BMR cb005 and cb762
forgestar f14 wheels. 18x10 front and 17x10.5 rear (i know its more drag setup, im also going to be having a 19x10ish square stance setup as well)
toyo r888r tires. 275/35/18 front and 315/35/17 rear
a few other mods that really dont do much performance wise.

im just wondering what suspension parts i should work on from here. Ive been looking at koni struts/viking shocks..but not sure what would be best. I also dont mind getting coilovers or different lowering springs if that is what is recommended. I just would like some insight from people that know more about it than i do, before i spend money on a setup that wont be as good.

thank you!
For the price, I really think the Ford Performance track handling kit can't be beat. The ride is way better than the PP suspension ever was, and the car is glued to the road. All the parts are high quality, the sway bars are adjustable, and will replace the bushings with bearings in the toe links and knuckles in the rear. Smooth, predictable, and not harsh, while still providing insane lateral grip.
M-FR3A-M8A

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I appreciate both of your replies a lot! It's good information. I also have had issues finding many reviews on the b16 being used on this forum.

I've almost just went ahead and bought the ford performance stuff multiple times but then keep wondering if i will want to be able to adjust things, or if i should do the b6.

The megan racing ones i had the same concerns with. But they are very appealing

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

Known good combo for street/occasional track, but no adjustability on either of those shocks. If you aren't the type to tinker with shock settings this is the easy option. Almost exactly matches a GT350R in spring rate, and nobody says those can't do well at the track. Softer spring rates than what I'd use or what serious track rats would use, but probably about as stiff as most street cars should want to go.
What springs would you recommend or use for this setup?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I appreciate both of your replies a lot! It's good information. I also have had issues finding many reviews on the b16 being used on this forum.

I've almost just went ahead and bought the ford performance stuff multiple times but then keep wondering if i will want to be able to adjust things, or if i should do the b6.

The megan racing ones i had the same concerns with. But they are very appealing
Unless you are going to the track a lot, and are constantly trying to dial in the height and stiffness for different conditions or tracks, the extra cost of that adjustability isn't worth it. I've had coilovers on other cars, and once I got them set up the way I liked, I never messed with the adjustments again. If your car is primarily a street car, there really isn't any point to all of the fancy adjustability. Also, the FRPP kit was specifically designed for your mustang, and to be used on the track. The fact that it has perfect street manners is just a bonus. just my .02

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I went with Steeda's min drop springs and Bilstein's, B6.

The ride is pretty good, a tick harsh in the rear, 200 Lb front and 800 rear. It handles bumps well the springs compress and rebound once. It takes a lot to compress the rears.

It handles bumpy increasing radius turns well, no skipping and no floating. I can steadily apply power with confidence.

At a well prepped drag strip I did encounter some wheel hop, but this was with street tires. I get no hop on the street. Haven't been able to try the drag tires.

I do get a bit of bounciness, hit a small bump, like a bridge joint and the shocks absorb that well but then the car has several quick bounces.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What springs would you recommend or use for this setup?
I went with Steeda Dual rates, but I already had some cheap adj shocks I could use with them. They’re fun, I can get the car to do what I need it to do.

Its a busy ride on the street. Thing is you really don’t need that much spring rate have a blast at the track.

Some of those adrenaline junky track jocks might be addicted to +600lb front spring rates but everybody knows those guys aren’t right in the head.

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yall have me leaning towards the frpp stuff again. I already have eibach front and rear swaybars so i will not be doing the full kit, just the struts and shocks with my choice of springs.

Still torn on bilstein b6 vs the frpp from what ive seen, but it seems like yall prefer the frpp so maybe ill go that route.

@NightmareMoon i haven't looked much at the steeda dual rates. Ill definitely check those out vs the handling springs.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Yall have me leaning towards the frpp stuff again. I already have eibach front and rear swaybars so i will not be doing the full kit, just the struts and shocks with my choice of springs.

Still torn on bilstein b6 vs the frpp from what ive seen, but it seems like yall prefer the frpp so maybe ill go that route.

@NightmareMoon i haven't looked much at the steeda dual rates. Ill definitely check those out vs the handling springs.

The Eibach Pro kit is actually a pretty good spring. I would keep those and just do the FRPP Struts/shocks. I would forget about the coilovers. You go C/Os you don' t go cheap, also from what it sounds like you are going to do with the car it would be overkill. If you are in LA come on down I'll let you drive my FRPP Track kit car and you will be amazed what this kit can do for the money. Its the way this car should have came from the factory. It doesn't drop it in the weeds but has a beautiful stance (Can't begin to tell you the amount of compliments I get on the stance). Also since it is a Ford Racing part, its almost like having it OEM.

Dave

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The Eibach Pro kit is actually a pretty good spring. I would keep those and just do the FRPP Struts/shocks. I would forget about the coilovers. You go C/Os you don' t go cheap, also from what it sounds like you are going to do with the car it would be overkill. If you are in LA come on down I'll let you drive my FRPP Track kit car and you will be amazed what this kit can do for the money. Its the way this car should have came from the factory. It doesn't drop it in the weeds but has a beautiful stance (Can't begin to tell you the amount of compliments I get on the stance). Also since it is a Ford Racing part, its almost like having it OEM.

Dave
Honestly my gf's family is in LA area. I might take you up on that.

OP
OP
Adamone92

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

So these PSS10 are a nice spring rate in the front (375), but kind of soft in the rear (500-750). Probably good for a street/occasional track setup. May be biased to understeer with those soft rear springs, but we don't really know anyone who's using them. Its not the normal rear spring rates we see front/rear on track and aggressive autox cars so that's the only strange sign. The front/rear bias is kind of like the Ohlins, but IIRC the Ohlins are stiffer all round.

I'd be curious if Bilstein is using standard spring sizes (i.e. if its easy to replace the springs later) which is one of the benefits of the good coilover setups. IIRC they're a bit low (1") at max height for what I'd want on my own daily/track car, but close enough. I've had PSS9s on another car and they were nice parts.
after more research, and a lot more back and forth on what I wanna do..i think ive made my decision.

1) I can get a really good deal on the Bilstein b16.
2) Ive seen really good things about them. (as well as the others in my options)
3) there is no chance of me getting the shocks/struts and wishing I had went coilovers in the future.
4) I could be completely incorrect on this, but I feel like the the 375 front spring will help offset the added weight of my Odin supercharger kit up front
5) Im not even sure if this is truly an option, but I could test this setup with either the provided rear springs that you mention may be too soft, or..i can (maybe?) try my eibach pro rear springs which are 800min/914 maximum. Im not sure if this is possible but from what ive seen, it seems like it may be a viable option?
6) I kind of like the fact that there aren't many people using them. I enjoy being a "guinea" big so to speak if the product is likely to be quality and my using it can potentially help future members make a decision. I did the same thing with my VMP Odin kit when it didn't have hardly anyone using it and im happy with my decision so far.

what are your thoughts? and anyone elses thoughts? I quoted your response since you directly gave your thoughts on the b16 but I am open to all opinions obviously. Many of yall have one of these setups and I know they are probably all great decisions. I also don't mind the lower ride height on a daily, my honda s2000 was incredibly low; I would be hard pressed to hit that height so I should be fine anywhere above that.

anything else I should buy at the same time while everything is apart? im thinking camber plates (BMR, J&M?). maybe bmr/steeda end links? ive seen the RLCA bearing recommended a lot but not sure if I should do that yet or not.

already have bmr cb005 and cb762 as well as eibach adjustable front and rear swaybars.
Sponsored