Sponsored

Where to buy

Daddyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ECCO
1st time poster here need you guys advise, always open to suggestions. My son is stationed in California and I live in New Jersey, would it be smarter to buy in NJ and ship or drive the car to CA? I know the savings in sales tax would go to shipping or driving to CA. But the emissions is much stricter for cars from CA. I believe, now if I bring a car from NJ would I have to get the emissions adjusted to CA requirements? Feel free to add anything else to this conversation that I may be missing.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
It doesn't matter what state you buy the car in, once you get the car in CA, you'll need to pay the full sales tax on it. I know the incentives are much better on the east coast but you'll need to figure out if it's worth it to ship it over. You'll also need to have it inspected for emissions.

I was also considering buying a car from the east coast (Koons) and having it shipped to CA. I worked out the numbers and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Just another thought, at least 8 states now use California emissions standards as their own. You should be able to find that out locally.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If he's military stationed in CA, he doesn't have to get it registered there. The sales tax won't apply in CA as long as you keep it registered at his home of record (yours) in NJ.

It really boils down to personal preference. Do you have a dealer that will give you a great deal nearby? Is there a car with all the options you want in either location, or will you order it? Does he want to spend 3 full days in a car to do the 3000 mile trip?

As a guy who was from FL and stationed in 29 Palms, CA, I bought my first Mustang 5.0 in FL and drove it out there. I enjoy the road trip, but that's just me.

Since you haven't bought yet, I'd hit up Koon's Ford in Baltimore since they're not all that far from you. They have the best prices I've seen anywhere, and it's where I bought my car. They flew me up at their expense AND saved me $3000 over what FL dealers wanted.

OP
OP

Daddyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ECCO
I will definitely check out koons went on their website incredible prices. Will also see if I can convince them to fly my son over from California once he comes back from deployment.

Sponsored

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I will definitely check out koons went on their website incredible prices. Will also see if I can convince them to fly my son over from California once he comes back from deployment.
I'm in NJ as well and bought from Koons in Baltimore. I highly recommend them. Better deal than anywhere here in Jersey. On another note drove with my son to Cali in his Focus where he is now attending college. Pretty much a straight shot across I-80. After what seemed like 600 miles of cornfields through Iowa and Nebraska (no disrespect intended to any Cornhuskers), the scenery through Wy., Ut., Nv., and Ca. was incredible. Fun drive, took us 4 days.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've made that drive through the cornfields from Colorado to Wisconsin once. It's enough to drive you mad.

I did the coast to coast I-10. Lots of desert. But not many cops. Haha

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Keep in mind the winter weather is here if you buy at Koons and drive to Calif. Chains are required at times on I-80 going over Donner Pass. I'm done for the winter using my Mustang to get to Reno, NV or South Lake Tahoe on I-80.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Keep in mind the winter weather is here if you buy at Koons and drive to Calif. Chains are required at times on I-80 going over Donner Pass. I'm done for the winter using my Mustang to get to Reno, NV or South Lake Tahoe on I-80.
Depending on where in CA, could always take 70 or 44/40 to bypass those situations.

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
As far as California emissions go, as long as it's a 2017 or newer, they all have 50-state emissions equipment now so it won't matter from that standpoint whether you buy it in NJ or CA. I had looked at buying a very lightly used 2016 out of Missouri and shipping it to CA, but because it had less than 7,500 miles, it had to be CA compliant emissions-wise. Stupid CA rules to protect our greedy dealers out here.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Koons ford, haven't bought a stang yet but with the deals they offer I would be stupid not to go there. Best in the country for non Shelby models. With the points I have on my CC my trip will be free just the cost of gas and food. I would gladly travel across country to save thousands of dollars and get a fun road trip Vaca out of it as well. Plus if u want a manual, u can stop at mgw on the way to cali and get the installation of their shifter for free.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
The pass hasn't really been that bad so far this year. Last Saturday was pretty bad though. Where in Nevada City are you? My brother was a Nevada City PD officer for nearly 20 yrs. until he retired. He had the only K-9 dog they had and also ran the local drug program for schools up there. Nice city (especially if you like the local bar scene). He moved to MO a few yrs. back and lives on 80 acres with horses now. Very peaceful location. My sister-in-law still lives there off Bitney Springs Rd.

Ecoboost_Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Race Red, manual
Hey Daddyo,
If you want to buy the car in California, send me a private message. I have a dealer in san diego and one in Orange County who can get you a great deal.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Koons is one of the best for current model year(2017) but the price they show doesnt include everything they tack on before TTL. There are quite a few dealers in FL/Georgia that offer similar if not better discounts than Koons especially on 2016's

OP
OP

Daddyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ECCO
Hey Daddyo,
If you want to buy the car in California, send me a private message. I have a dealer in san diego and one in Orange County who can get you a great deal.
EcoBoost Jim where at in San Diego? We are in Escondido until Sunday than flying back to New Jersey going to go to a couple of dealerships today to see how the sales men/women are on the west coast. I'm sure the same just weighing my options for when my son comes back from deployment.
Sponsored