Where to bleed fuel line

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Hello.
2019 5.0
I ran my fuel tank dry and now believe I have some vapor lock in the fuel line as the car will no longer start with fuel in tank. Doesn't seem like the engine is getting any fuel.
So where would I disconnect exactly and prime the fuel pump to get air out? Any other tips on this process.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Check your fuses. Is the pump energizing when you crank it? Air in the line will just be pushed through the lines, rails, injectors as long as the pump is moving fuel. I suspect you may have damaged the pump running it dry, or popped a fuse

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Should be fuse 48 or 49 IIRC.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I can hear a pump priming with I push start button without pressing brake.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Prime it 4 or 5 times then try again.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Yep I've primed many many times. Been troubleshooting for a while. Fuses all look good.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Is the fuel pump located under the rear seats in the fuel tank? I'll probably just replace that to eliminate it.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Is the fuel pump located under the rear seats in the fuel tank? I'll probably just replace that to eliminate it.
Yes it is. Primary pump is on the drivers side.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Hooked up an airline hose as pictured and no fuel came out at all during the start attempt. Fuse looks good. So this seem certainly to be a bad fuel pump. Am I correct?

20230328_120843.jpg

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Probably, Unless power isn't making it to the pump from the FPDM. the only way to be sure is back probe the power wire and ensure that the ground is good. Pull the pump assembly out of the tank. While still plugged in, tap on the pump itself while someone else cranks the engine. If the pump starts spinning again, you found your issue but even if it doesn't may still indicate a bad fuel pump. Do you own a power probe?

Sponsored
OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I
Probably, Unless power isn't making it to the pump from the FPDM. the only way to be sure is back probe the power wire and ensure that the ground is good. Pull the pump assembly out of the tank. While still plugged in, tap on the pump itself while someone else cranks the engine. If the pump starts spinning again, you found your issue but even if it doesn't may still indicate a bad fuel pump. Do you own a power probe?
I do not own a power probe unfortunately. So if I tap on it while cranking and it starts spinning what does that mean? That the pump is bad? Or that it isn't getting power?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
I
I do not own a power probe unfortunately. So if I tap on it while cranking and it starts spinning what does that mean? That the pump is bad? Or that it isn't getting power?
It would mean that the pump is the issue, and needs to be replaced. Sometimes a fuel pump will bind or seize, and by hitting it with a small mallet or screwdriver handle can sometimes free it up.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I can't find a single OEM FUEL pump for sale. I've found for the 4cylinder. I wonder if they are the same?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You previously stated you can hear the pump try to prime. So if no fuel is coming into the line during the pump prime signal, there's a disconnected hose in the pump assembly.

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I hear the smaller pump in the engine bay. I don't hear anything from the pump in the gas tank while priming
I found a fuel pump. But now having problems with the install. When I removed the metal ring holding the fuel pump unit down fuel came gushing up. I'm not sure why bc I only have 5 gallons in the tank. Does it need to be completely empty to change the pump?
Sponsored