Sponsored

Where are the tow hooks located on our cars?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I don't see an covers on the front or rear bumpers to screw in the tow hooks. Anyone know where they are??

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... Tow???????????

We're driving Mustangs, not Chevys...............:ford:
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It is rather annoying that this is a standard feature on the Euro-spec Mustangs, but not US. How much can it cost, maybe $5, and they would able to ditch a couple part numbers.

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
Putting the tow hook pop out on all Mustang bumpers would probably save Ford money because they would no longer need to produce two different front bumpers.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Does anyone know what the tow hook threads in to? I'm guessing that one of the bumper support bolts has a shaft receiver integrated into it?

Deleted member 35786

Ever see the movie Idiocracy?. The hooks behind the little plugs are there for anything crossing the ocean. Look at any import, they all have them so they can be strapped down as cargo.
LMAO... Fake news..

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Pretty much every European car and most Japanese cars have built in tow-points.

I bet it costs virtually nothing (maybe a dollar) and Ford would benefit by not making two different bumper covers. The next question however is there a threaded hole underneath the plastic cover on US spec cars, or is the underlying bumper different also? If there is not a threaded hole underneath, that would probably cost Ford an extra dollar.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't see an covers on the front or rear bumpers to screw in the tow hooks. Anyone know where they are??
Only foreign market S550s had them from the factory. U.S. did without.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
One advantage to the lack of them on the S550 is that you don't see repeated "Where can a get a new painted cover for my tow hook hole?" threads the way you do on the BMW forums.

Reactions: nrc

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Basically T hooks into frame slots. Details in the attached.
Thanks for the upload. I plan to print the relevant pages and put them in the glove box. I'm sure the 2015 tie down instructions also apply to a 2018, no?

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
For anyone curious, found out that the bumper reinforcement bar is different for cars that have the tow hook provision available from the factory.

P/N: FR3Z17757B

Looks like there is a threaded insert welded into the bar.

ckaiser522

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Pretty sure the wheels are strapped down.
As a mariner that has been on auto transport ships i can tell you that they do not strap cars down by the wheels on those ships this is because they transport all different size vehicles in a single voyage. these port holes in most imported cars are indeed for Tie-down eyes. Most domestic cars not destined for over seas export (that are built in the US Ie Flat rock Michigan) do not have them. as there is no need or at least expectation for them as they will not be exported by ship.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Basically T hooks into frame slots. Details in the attached.
This!

I just had my car on a flatdeck to go to a shop for some work last week. There are holes in the outside of the frame in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels that tow guys who know what they're doing have the correct fittings to plug into them. They use a chain with these special fittings on each end that fit into those slots, then they hook the chain up to their winch strap and off she goes. Any tow guy that doesn't know this is someone you should not let touch your car because this isn't new.

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
Good Info..
This!

I just had my car on a flatdeck to go to a shop for some work last week. There are holes in the outside of the frame in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels that tow guys who know what they're doing have the correct fittings to plug into them. They use a chain with these special fittings on each end that fit into those slots, then they hook the chain up to their winch strap and off she goes. Any tow guy that doesn't know this is someone you should not let touch your car because this isn't new.
Sponsored