Sponsored

When will dealers get more allocations for Bullitt?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I'm strongly considering buying a bunch of new old stock parts in 5 years or so. Especially the computerized stuff (gauges, sync3, etc).
Speaking from the experience of the last 2 Bullitt Mustangs, there are indeed some parts that a number of folks have bought to have later, especially some of the trim and specific engine pieces. My guess on what you would buy - anything with Bullitt badging, the interior leather seat covers (especially for the fronts), the active exhaust motors, mufflers, dash trim pieces, open air element box. The bear would be if the chassis number badge gets damaged. Sync 3 is something that might be considered, but hopefully enough of those would be available for awhile in the supply chain (10+ years).

Of course, if there are more built, the parts supply gets more plentiful.
Sponsored

Bullitt77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 (sold)
Speaking from the experience of the last 2 Bullitt Mustangs, there are indeed some parts that a number of folks have bought to have later, especially some of the trim and specific engine pieces. My guess on what you would buy - anything with Bullitt badging, the interior leather seat covers (especially for the fronts), the active exhaust motors, mufflers, dash trim pieces, open air element box. The bear would be if the chassis number badge gets damaged. Sync 3 is something that might be considered, but hopefully enough of those would be available for awhile in the supply chain (10+ years).

Of course, if there are more built, the parts supply gets more plentiful.
Hey Tony. Just wondering do you still own the 01 and 09 Bullitt? That would be awesome if you had all 3 models?....Also, are you purchasing your 2019 from Lebanon Ford?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I do. My '15 GT is being traded for the '19 so I will have all 3 models. I got my car from a dealer in MI near Detroit. By the time I started looking for another dealer outside of the Cincinnati area, Lebanon Ford had sold their first batch .

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
You’re correct. These are not official statements from Ford but I did try to contact a few dealerships outside of my state that had Bullitts for sale. They all said that the one on their showroom floor was the only one that they would be getting. It sounds like a statement to justify them charging ADMs. Anyways, from my shopping experience the Mustang Bullitt is currently attainable if one wants to pay over MSRP. I can’t justify paying over sticker for a $51,000 Mustang let alone any other vehicle. In my opinion, the Bullitt will be very hard to find at MSRP. I know that it’s all about supply and demand but it’s unfortunate that they advertise this vehicle at a specific price but 95% of people now can’t purchase one at the listed price. It’s very frustrating and misleading so that’s why I say that not everyone can go out and purchase a Bullitt. A $60k new vehicle costs 20% more than a $50k one. I will probably give up and look for something else...
This same thing happened with the 2008 Bullitts too. Many back then waited a few months for the hype to die down and got one with a nice discount even. The good news is that the GT500 is coming next year and once that's out, many dealerships will forget all about the Bullitt and start daydreaming about all the ADMs they can charge for the 700+ hp Mustang. Even though the Bullitt is not the top dog in the Mustang lineup, it's the newest and a limited edition, hence the temporary markups. That being said, from time to time I've seen MSRP deals pop up for Bullitts, one was just posted to the Facebook group a few days ago.

McShackett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT/CS 08 Bullitt
Bullitt77, if you are willing to wait until the fall, i'm sure you could find one at MSRP. I got one MSRP, others have as well. They are out there, but right now you are fighting demand. By September/October those who REALLY want one at any price will have one, and the cars will be more readily available. If it happened with the Shelbys, it will happen with the Bullitts.

As Matt said, in 08, it was the same thing- hyped at first, then it calmed down. In 2009 I test drove one of the three Bullitts on my dealer's lot (not a big dealer either!). They'll be at MSRP, might just be tough to find for now. Keep turning over rocks. If you're a serious buyer, even a dealer claiming ADM is necessary may change their tune once the car sits a couple weeks.

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Just a brief history note guys-
Ford over anticipated the 01 and 08/09 builds to some extent. Operational term being some. O1s were hit with the dot com bust and lower vehicle sales over all, especially after 9/11. The 08 Bullitt hit during another economic collapse and very tight credit going into effect. The Bullitt was also NOT top dog as 01+ Cobras and then GT500s were out on lots. With the 19 GT350/500 delayed until spring the Bullitt is the only rare game in town....and yeah Ford knows this. Ford knows dealers get ADM. Ford thus allocates ADM cars as reward cars to dealerships based upon sales performance. This is not new. Back in 1969 there were a little over 1600 Boss 302s made. It was an intentional small run. Execs knew it and were quoted: “Show a guy a car he can’t have and it will drive him nuts.”

Ford is gonna limit the Bullitt- keep it a halo item for dealers....it will be the unobtainable item until the 2019 GT350 and 500 show up in the spring. After that- who knows. We also have a very serious issue now....oversea sales. Ford is going global and appears to be very willing to send a very substantial portion of Bullitt production overseas.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...We also have a very serious issue now....overseas sales. Ford is going global and appears to be very willing to send a very substantial portion of Bullitt production overseas.
Not willing or substantial enough. Room for more here. Sharing is caring :).

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Jimmy - hopefully more for everyone but with this new global market Ford seems very disinclined to overproducing anything....intentionally underproducing the hot items.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a brief history note guys-
Ford over anticipated the 01 and 08/09 builds to some extent. Operational term being some. O1s were hit with the dot com bust and lower vehicle sales over all, especially after 9/11
There were more orders in Ford's systems for the 2001 than they actually wound up producing. One of the other factors going on for the 2001 was the limited marketing budget. If that car had not been enthusiastically received, along with the 2003/04 Mach 1, the business justification for the 2008/09 Bullitts would have been much more difficult.

I think the allocation situation here is not only influenced by keeping interest up, but also the parts constraints. At least one might gather that from the recent interview with Carl Widmann, Chief Engineer, from the San Francisco media event.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Jimmy - hopefully more for everyone but with this new global market Ford seems very disinclined to overproducing anything....intentionally underproducing the hot items.
Here in the worlds second biggest Mustang market, all 700 of the Bullitt's allocated were sold before April. The first car isn't due to arrive until October. They could sell another 1000 here tomorrow.

....I think the allocation situation here is not only influenced by keeping interest up, but also the parts constraints. At least one might gather that from the recent interview with Carl Widmann, Chief Engineer, from the San Francisco media event.
Yeah Tony, I watched that interview (and Carl is clearly a stand up kinda guy), but I find it hard to swallow that line. If Ford ordered another 1000 cue ball shift knobs, the supplier would produce them...same with MagneRide, wheels, sill plates, etc. Everyone is out to make a buck.

It's not as if Bullitt's were made from Unobtainium, or it took two weeks to mold one dash plaque!

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah Tony, I watched that interview (and Carl is clearly a stand up kinda guy), but I find it hard to swallow that line. If Ford ordered another 1000 cue ball shift knobs, the supplier would produce them...same with MagneRide, wheels, sill plates, etc. Everyone is out to make a buck.

It's not as if Bullitt's were made from Unobtainium, or it took two weeks to mold one dash plaque!
Another article mentioned the cue ball shift knobs and it's implied limits on them - "Some of the Bullitt's bits may show up in the Ford Performance catalog – one Ford exec hoped that after a supplier catches up, the extremely cool cue ball shifter will appear in it – but many won't."

I find it quite possible there is a production constraint here. There was somewhere i thought I read that the construction of the shifter ball itself, with a special core and then the etching of the shift pattern, seemed to be something that was a challenge. MagneRide, if you look at folks ordering it for Mustang GTs, have seen that be a production constraint as well, with some orders not being fulfilled in model year 2018 because of it.

That said, we might someday find out the why of the allocation allotments and how they have been managed, but for now, I think we are stuck navigating this. The Shelby GT350 buyers have dealt with this for awhile, and the upcoming GT500 buyers will too.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If you think about it though, I really believe it is a supplier issue. Look at the MagneRide situation for regular GTs. People that ordered late 18s got stuck because Ford didn't have any MagneRide units left so they had to cancel the order and reorder a 19. Ford wanted to build those cars, but their hands were tied. That's a general Mustang issue but since the Bullitt is offered with MagneRide, it's also affected. Ford wasn't trying to artificially limit 2018 MagneRide cars, it's an upcharge that they make a profit on. Now hearing about the shift knob challenges and other limited parts, there's some issue. Maybe there was only one supplier that could deliver the product they wanted at the price they wanted but that supplier is too small an operation to keep up? Just spitballing here but I agree, I'd like to think it would be as easy as adding a new supplier or ordering more parts, but I'm guessing it's not that easy.

I find it quite possible there is a production constraint here. There was somewhere i thought I read that the construction of the shifter ball itself, with a special core and then the etching of the shift pattern, seemed to be something that was a challenge. MagneRide, if you look at folks ordering it for Mustang GTs, have seen that be a production constraint as well, with some orders not being fulfilled in model year 2018 because of it.
Yeah I heard originally that the cue ball shift knob was supposed to have the shift pattern actually carved into the shifter, and the Detroit show car had it. But, again, must have been some issue that prevented it for mass production because production cars just have the pattern printed on instead. I still love it, but having the pattern carved in would have been a little cooler.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I heard originally that the cue ball shift knob was supposed to have the shift pattern actually carved into the shifter, and the Detroit show car had it. But, again, must have been some issue that prevented it for mass production because production cars just have the pattern printed on instead. I still love it, but having the pattern carved in would have been a little cooler.
Yes should have said "imprinted". And I agree, it would have been cool to have it grooved in there. I suspect there was either a cost or durability concern that led to what we got in production.

Bullitt77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 (sold)
They will get more allocations once they sell the Bullitt on their showroom floor for over $60k...

Aussie Mate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt K1121 - (2019 Model) - Built 28 Aug 2018
I disagree - I reckon it's better to limit the numbers of car produced. This is a special car - if they make too many then it is no longer special.
With regards to the RHD bullitt - Australia is getting 700, NZ is getting 50, I am guessing that the UK might get 250.
Sponsored