Sponsored

When to get first oil change? (I have a 2020)

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Ask yourself this- why would Ford recommend such a long interval before first oil change if it were bad for the car in any way? The dealers can make money on more frequent oil changes. Ford is on the hook if there are engine problems. There is simply no reason to recommend 10,000 miles unless thatā€™s what is safe for the engine, determined by Ford engineers who designed and tested the damn thing.
Some people.....
Logic has no business injecting itself into oil threads.
Come on man.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Glad to see youā€™re clocking some miles quickly! Are you loving the car?

I think for your application, change the oil around or shortly after 1,000 miles to get the metal flakes, rtv, and other junk out of the oil filter, then after that maybe change the oil when the oil life calculator is down to 20% (which gives you a nice comfortable window to schedule the oil change without going over.). If I remember correctly, you got the extended warranty like I did.

My thought process is, since I donā€™t want to give them a reason to deny a future warranty claim, I stick to what the manual says and I use recommended parts/viscosity. As we talked about, the manual calls for oil changes after tracking the car (hence the 4 oil changes this year with only 2,800 miles on the odometer. Initial after 1k, then after each track weekend)

RockAuto.com has good deals for our recommended oil, motorcraft 5w-50 synthetic (which is just fine.) Sometimes I use rockauto for the oil filter, sometimes I go amazon. If you arenā€™t changing the oil yourself then completely disregard.

if you decide to wait on the initial oil change until the oil calculator gets low, I donā€™t think anyone can really fault you for it since Ford doesnā€™t recommend something to the contrary. But, as others have said.... old habits die hard. I still recommend 1,000 miles :)
Thanks and yes I am loving the car. I drive just for the sake of it now, because I love the experience.

Okay I'll change it at 1k just to be safe, and yes I did get the extended warranty.

Thanks again for the information and your input, I appreciate! I was a little confused

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thanks and yes I am loving the car. I drive just for the sake of it now, because I love the experience.

Okay I'll change it at 1k just to be safe, and yes I did get the extended warranty.

Thanks again for the information and your input, I appreciate! I was a little confused
Glad to hear! Ya, since Ford really doesnā€™t offer any guidance, I donā€™t think there really is a wrong answer here.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm not sure what "crappy Ford oil is"? Ford has managed to stay in business for well over a 100 years using their own products.

The initial oil is break-in oil, as you put the first 1,000 gentle miles on your car it is wearing it parts and dropping tiny metal flecks and gasket bits into the oil. I would recommend an oil change at 1,000 miles. I brought a gallon zip lock and asked for my two gaskets and oil filter back. I did not hit 8,250 until I got the oil changed. I know some people are fine with flogging the car to death with a 100 miles of break-in out of the way. I would not do that.

An examination of the filter showed a normal amount of extremely tiny metal flecks and various bits common during break-in. I replaced my oil with "crappy Ford oil" and have had zero problems for the last 3,000 miles. My car does not use a bit of oil and that is normal, even with occasional hard use.

If you track the car, I'd change it after a hard weekend. I plan on driving my car seasonally since winters suck here. So I'm planning on an annual spring oil change, with additional changes as needed it the car is tracked.

Read the thread on good stuff to know, it is very helpful.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hard core owners will do the first one right away. Like 50 to 100 miles at most. Then do another one at around 1000. Be sure to send in a sample for analysis from that second oil change.

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know when you are supposed to do the first oil change?

I searched the internet and this website and saw different answers, I saw people saying that they did it at around 1,000 miles others doing it at 2,000 and 3,000 miles. Some are doing after the engine is broken in completely (at 1,000 miles) and some are not doing it. I read the owners manual and it didn't say anything about changing the oil shortly after the 1,000 mile break in period, it just talks about the oil life monitor and the mileage intervals at which you will need to get it changed. My oil life monitor says that it's at 80%. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. I am assuming the oil life monitor is the most accurate.

I had asked a friend about it awhile ago and he said that he did it at around 1,000 miles but he is primarily tracking the car (im not doing that).

Im at 920 miles, never really owned a car like this before so sorry if this is a noob question.

So, when are you supposed to.... I changed mine as soon as I considered the break in period over. My thinking is break in gets everything seated and may (most likely will) produce metal fragments.

I have a 2018 GT with 15k miles, so far no engine tick or oil consumption- I am 100% absolutely sure this is why.... allegedly :)
Sponsored